The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Deck Switches by Benjamin Earl (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1859 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Hey guys,

Ben Earl, being the master that he is, decided to share not just 1 deck switch but 25 of his favorites on his latest release called Real Deck Switches! Ben is considered the 'real thing' by a lot of the top card guys in the industry as his work speaks for itself and it definitely shows here.

If you do memorized deck work or want to perform visual deck switches right under their noses this is THE place to learn it from.

More info:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=61193

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Presale???
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4189 Posts

Profile of videoman
Ben always puts some great touches on everything he releases and this is definitely a utility move that almost everyone can use sooner or later so I'm very curious at what this brings to the table.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1553 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Is there a gimmick involved?
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It says no gimmicks for any of the switches

I love to find a deck switch that works for me - have a great one [Shaun F]but I would need to wear a jacket for it

As a greta Deck switch would be so much better than some Mark Calabrese type gimmick that totally compormise what you [and how] you can do shuffles/etc

I think it's a choice of either compromise

Either you have a gimmicked deck and can't freely shuffle

Or you freely shuffle and then need to ring in a cold deck

I prefer the later - as I like to let the whole audience pass the deck around and shuffle it amongst themselves

But as of yet - not found a deck switch that I'm [my fat fingers] are happy with

Did Ben Earle have a deck switch book out

I was recomended a book 'Fracture' [I'm guessing it was called] that had some great deck switches in it
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Bens lecture was superb but his deck switches were by far the weakest part . I know the camera angles were rubbish for this moves at Blackpool but I still didn’t rate any of
them . Like I say the rest of the lecture was a master class but I spoke to many people at Blackpool and most thought the same about this section . There maybe more on the DVDs or download as he mentioned methods not needing a table . He however never showed any that didn’t need a table in the lecture so I presume he would of done so if he thought they were as good as sat at a table . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7515 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Me too. I never warmed to Greg Wilson’s offerings. The cooler was better but cheaply made. If the cooler was made in precision cut aluminium it would be perfect.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Ditto on the cooler Tarik 🙂
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
122 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
I like Greg's stuff but I didn't care for his deck switch either.
Mike the Magician
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of The Duster
G'ah

Turns out there are no good deck switches... I will have to cancel that million pound poker game I had planned for next week
edenbilly
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of edenbilly
I just had an email from Vanishing Inc saying it's the best selling DVD of Blackpool. One should note, imo there wasn't anything particularly novel at the convention to go wild about.
People should also bare in mind that even Joshua Jay himself uses the most simple DS in the real world. If you've seen him dem Prism deck or Phantom, you would know this. Despite having Greg Wilson's Cold Case, which includes a lengthy tutorial with tons of ideas, I haven't needed it yet. If an act or trick relies on a super clean DS then I'm sure either items would be useful. But one should ask themself, 'Do I need a whole DVD on this?' I'm guessing the theory dressed around the DS would apply across the board and may be useful, but Earl has proved that even when his demos are angled wrongly, he can still sell. He fooled many magicians. His multi layered deception solidifies his persona and sells; he knows how to sell snow to the Eskimos by including well versed and constructed theory that the more literate or time-free magicians could probably find in classic books. I look forward to more non-card stuff from Earl.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I agree edenbilly what a great first post , none of these guys use these switches in the real world and I 100% agree with you his coin work in that particular lecture and his psychological reinforcement of natural movement was literally sublime , best wishes Tarik 🙂
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1154 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I agree, there were no Buzz about the deck switches at Backpool. It might be strectched for Vanishing Ink to write: "Pre-order Real Deck Switches! The bestselling DVD of Blackpool 2018."

I guess we will get a lot of emails from the magic dealers saying "Buy the Blackpool bestselling something........."

As always, take it cool, and see if there comes great reviews here at the Café before you jump in and buy.

BTW, sometimes there comes a lot of great reviews in the beginning 2 weeks of a thread, but then the thread dies out in a couple of weeks. Conclusion, the effect seemed good when people watched the DVD explanation the first time, but it didn't impress them when they tried it out. They never came back to the thread to post review of real live performances. The best effect are those where the thread keeps on going for a long time with great reviews.

It takes patience, tho wait it out and see if the reviews keeps pouring in for an effect. But that way you can save yourself a lot of money, and only buy the good effects (believe me, I know, I have a whole room full of effects I bought too early based on fast coming positive reviews. And I will probably keep making that mistake - but hopefully at little less than before).

Have fun switching decks.......

Jan Smile
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3071 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Put the deck in your pocket after a card effect . Then do a coin effect etc etc and then go back to the same pocket and get the gaffed deck out . It’s the easiest and still is and always will be the best imo . Unless you are trying to fool magicians with deck switches which sounds great fun ( not ) kind regards Tarik 🙂
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
I've Always preferred subtlety over brute force.
I've recently been playing with a (published) deck switch that flies by magicians. No gimmicks, no table required. Could be done naked, if you carried the decks in your hands. You read that right, everything's out in the open!

In addition, there are plenty of strategies to have a spectator legitimately shuffle a stacked deck, and restoring it to order with barely any effort on your part.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1043 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Hey Double D,
Does the one that you have been playing with recently use, for example, two red decks and you have a blue backed card that you place on one deck then switch it to the other when you switch decks? You know it can't get any simpler than that as far as naked deck switches! Smile

If anyone remembers who has published that method, please post.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Some of those looked really bad, I'm sure they look better in person but those arm motions after the deck has been stolen out look very suspicious. The hand hiding the deck moves away far too rapidly, what ever happened to the large motion covering the small? It's the exact opposite here.

Compare this to the bonus DVD of Steve Fortes Gambling Protection when it's just Steve and Jason England down in his museum and Steve's doing various deck switches for the camera, you almost want to cry they look so good.
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Hey Double D,
Does the one that you have been playing with recently use, for example, two red decks and you have a blue backed card that you place on one deck then switch it to the other when you switch decks? You know it can't get any simpler than that as far as naked deck switches! Smile

Roughly, yes. It's based on the Trojan Deck Switch, which is credited to both Giobbi and Robert Gardner.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7515 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2018, Doctor D wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2018, EZrhythm wrote:
Hey Double D,

Roughly, yes. It's based on the Trojan Deck Switch, which is credited to both Giobbi and Robert Gardner.

Why keep it a secret?
ULockJustice
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
173 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
I actually bought this at Magifest, as they had it available for sale there, and I'll say it's pretty good. If it does nothing more than get a new generation of card guys interested in deck switches they way his Real Ace material got a bunch of youngsters interested in shuffle work than this is a good product.

There are some really great, and practical switches in this DVD. Yeah, a few of them look bad, but nearly every deck switch looks bad when you sit in front of a camera. There are 25 of the bloody things on there. There are some interesting thoughts on this DVD. Granted, the vast majority of magicians do not need to do a deck switch and will never in their entire lives. I know in my own experience discussing deck switches with magicians they often get pretty hard on them when they watch one in real time, then they go to my show and ask how something was done forgetting that we spent the previous evening with them pointing out how impractical the deck switch I showed them was. A deck switch is tough because there are so few bullet proof ones when you look at them straight on. While this DVD is marketed towards a very broad audience, I think it's actually meant for a very small group. That small group will use it as a reference much like the Giobbi book. Between those two products you would be well set for having an excellent set of references should you ever need to put a deck switch in your act.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Real Deck Switches by Benjamin Earl (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL