The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch's The Score (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Hey guys.

I'm spreading the word about what I believe to be the greatest Bank Night routine ever created. I first heard of Looch's The Score in his Black Project. I attempted to make a set on my own but couldn't quite get it right.

Looch has finally created a few sets of these and they are about to fly off the shelf like all of his material does. There was only 100 sets made and I ordered one, so now there's 99 Smile

http://www.readmymind.co.uk

All the best,
Matthew
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Hi, I have read the Black project, the score is a nice routine but I don't think is worth purchasing for 208$ , I repeat, 208$. When you can do it yourself for a few bucks. I would go for Blank Night by John Archer which costs 29$.
But I understand that Looch can charge whatever he thinks is appropiate.

Regards
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Hi Mark.

Yes, I will be the first to admit that $208.00 for a Bank Night routine is a lot. That's a lot for any routine.

However, there's a few things that need to be pointed out here...

1) Something that seems to be rarely taken into consideration is the man hours that it takes to construct such material. Each one of these sets has to be handmade. The research time that it takes to get a routine to professional level is something that also needs to be made aware of. This is not just something that was created over night, or even over the course of a couple weeks or months. Looch has been perfecting this for years.

2) You are not just buying an effect when you buy from Looch. You are buying a professional routine that was constructed and built for real world performers. I honestly don't even have to look at a performance demo when I purchase from Looch, because I know he uses it in the real world.

3) I'd like to think that it is also priced the way it is to help keep out of the hands of young amateurs. Do you really want everyone to be able to purchase our secrets so easily? This is sadly what happens when a "19.99" price sticker is slapped onto the newest trick at your local online magic dealer.

Maybe this can put things into a better perspective. However, at the end of the day, not every product it going to suit every performer. If you are not a real world performer, maybe just a hobbyist, then I would definitely say there are better options out there.

If on the other hand you are a steady worker, then surely you will recognize that performing a single show would earn you your money back for purchasing this.

Best,
Matthew
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Congratulations Looch, this looks REALLY fantastic, Professional, fun and direct Mentalism.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
By the way, Looch is one of the classiest sellers of magic. Top quality service, really decent guy. I bought Black Project from him.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3112 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
I saw this LIVE and I was waiting this beauty from loooong time! I placed my order immediately! Thanks Looch, this go straight in my show!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18821 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Trust that what has been bought from looch is high end, he cares a lot about production values and it has been worked to death...

Why sniff at the price when that price is offset by being self-employed as a working mentalist...it's not a product to take down the pub...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Louis Gordon
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Louis Gordon
I purchased the Score as well. I think this is a great purchase. First since the Black Project is out of print you are getting a routine that is hard to find. You are also getting the updated version worked through more real world performances. Looch stands behind his products and great support. Glad to be adding a real worker (yes we say this to much) to my act.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1745 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
If The Score appeals to you and you believe you would use it, I would make the investment. Looch is a class act. Buying from him is a great experience and the quality of the items he offers is first rate in every respect.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9860 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
Looch is a class act. Buying from him is a great experience and the quality of the items he offers is first rate in every respect.

I agree, he is very credible and well respected. He stands for quality. And he is a nice guy, no doubt.

However, as in typical fashion around here no one is really saying anything helpful or beneficial to others interested.

"the greatest Bank Night routine ever created" - okay, why? In what way? Provide some reasoning and info to back up such a claim.

"I think this is a great purchase." Based on what? How so? In what way?

Sure it seems unanimous Looch is great, he offers quality releases and offers good service. In reality, this should be expected in business.

But it says nothing at all about his release. If you are trying to be helpful provide some insight, some reasons, some, details into the effect - what makes it different from other Bank Nights, what creates it's value.

I am always suspicious of those that claim "it will go right in my act" without offering any other information. Some real insight from those that have actually purchased it is what would really be helpful. How about a real, actual review?

Fan and "buddy" support is nice, but how about some actual real insight and information for those that have not seen this, are unfamiliar with it and aren't part of the buddy system?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Hello

Yes finally 'The Score' has been released as an actual commercial item! This is with huge relief because it should originally have been released circa 2015 by Penguin. The project was filmed, both performances of it and the explanations, however due to the expense of certain materials and the amount of labour involved in making a substantial amount of these it wasn't commercially viable. However when I started Read My Mind Ltd last year, I decided that no matter what I would release 'The Score' to the community as an actual physical release as opposed to it being just in print format.

Well after months and months of hand making these little bad boys I have finally made enough for a limited edition release! Just like 'The Article' there are 100 sets available and truth be told I do not have the time or patience to make another 100 Smile

For those wondering about the actual effect, in its simplest form, it's a very direct and clean Bank Nite effect. However I do personally think that when people receive theirs, they will give long and hard thought into just how far they can push a routine in their show. 'The Score' is super flexible, it's very clean and feels almost self working. I used the simple YOURS & MINE style presentation as you can see in the following preview video. However my current favourite way of performing this is almost like a 5 person prediction, that forecasts not only who will pick which envelope but predicts that one person wouldn't (when given the opportunity) switch with my envelope. This really elevates the routine into a different league in terms of the classic Bank Note plot.

Here's a quick preview to show the cleanliness of the method (ignore the screen shot, it looks like I'm high on something)

https://youtu.be/8L6Vj03kpWM
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1574 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I agree with Mindpro. Great to read how good it is without actually reading how good it is! I can't stand that and it actually goes a long way to ensuring I don't make a purchase. How about a comprehensive review from an objective viewpoint. This would help form a decision when it comes to purchasing. It is nice to know he is a nice guy but that means nothing when it come to whether or not the effect is any good.

'Best Bank Night Ever'. That's a big claim. At least there was some substance that followed the claim.

I used Osterlind's for years. It served me very well and was easy to do.
Based on some of the latter informed reviews, this would have interested me if I wanted another Bank Night routine. I don't.

Can we just lay off the fan club thing in future?...
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1137 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I’m sure it’s as smooth as it looks and wish the owners success. I totally planned to be one of them but just couldn’t get past the sticker shock. For me a premium price on a longstanding plot needs to bring something genuinely new to the table. It’s just to Guage at this moment if that premium price is justified.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
A NW is all you need you have a similar routine , instead of colored envelopes , just have them call a number. This is a light routine because you have 1 chance out of 5 to succeed. For the same price you can get the Moabt pocket edition. What about that?
Regards
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2512 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2018, Looch wrote:
Here's a quick preview to show the cleanliness of the method (ignore the screen shot, it looks like I'm high on something)

https://youtu.be/8L6Vj03kpWM

I'm going to be honest. That preview did little to sell me on it. I didn't see "cleanliness." I didn't see the backs of the envelopes, putting the last envelope down like that wasn't/didn't telegraph clean, and, it was fast, but I definitely saw a move. And no, maybe the audience wouldn't notice. but...

s
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
I will say that I got the black project and read this effect. I loved the idea. I bought the material and spent hours and hours making a set. I will say it was a pain in the ass making the effect. It turns out well. I did it for one show and it went over well. I still need to put my spin on it.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
As for everyone not satisfied with my personal opinion as it being "the greatest bank night routine ever created"...

I started the thread so that other performers could hear about it and have a chance to purchase a set.

I'm not part of a "fan club". Looch does not need me (nor anyone else) to help sell his material. He is at the top of his game by his own hand, not anyone elses.

For the record, being that there are only 100 sets, if you're waiting for a full in depth review from someone before purchasing, you will probably miss out on this. This is where a performers/creators reputation is put on the line, and Looch has one of the best. If you've ever purchased anything from Looch, or seen any of his material on Penguin Live, Your Thoughts are Mine DVD set, lecture notes, private releases, etc...you know that every thing he puts out is for the real world worker. There are no pipe dreams here.

So, why do I believe this is the greatest bank night...

1) I believe bank night routines in general are one of the best openers you can perform. The most important part of a show is the opener. The opener is what sets the tone and pace of the entire show. If it's too slow or drawn out people get bored. It needs to get several people on stage and get them involved. It needs to be direct, to the point, and impressive...but not too impressive, so that the show has room to build in entertainment value and in impossibility. The opener also needs to be very simple for the spectators involved. This is where Looch's routine shines.

2) Most of the bank night routines I have seen suffer from one of two downfalls (if not both).

A) They are presented as the dreadful "look how clever I am, and look how stupid you are" bit. Spectators are brought on stage, they choose some envelopes, they get a small stupid prize of some sort, and the performer triumphantly shows that he has successfully managed to keep the grand prize for himself.

This is incredibly dumb, and you look stupid. If you perform a bank night routine in this manner, please stop.

With the way Looch's routine is structured, there are no "prizes" to be won or had. It's a simple and direct way of showcasing your skills without showing off too much.

B) The other issue with most bank night routines is that the spectators are required to open the envelope, and then maybe read some small and awkward written prediction out loud to the audience. This poses several issues. 1) There is the simple issue of the spectators having to speak. Maybe they don't have a clear voice, maybe they're nervous, maybe they can't read well or see well, whatever. You don't want the opening piece of your act depending on spectators reading some prediction that you've written by hand, let alone by nail writer.

This is not a problem in Looch's routine, because the spectators open the envelope and display a large and bold card that simply reads one word. They don't have to read or say anything.

With other bank night routines that involve the spectator having to read a prediction written in the envelope, I believe that when an audience sees this, there is a large portion of them that begin to panic and worry about having to come up on stage later if they are called and having to read something. Again, not a problem with Looch's routine.

3) The Score allows for some of the best customization I have ever seen. There is the presentation of using the colored envelopes, which plays very nicely to the psychology of colors. There is also the option of using envelopes with numbers, which plays nicely for the psychology of numbers, and can then lead into a bigger prediction. There are several other ways of presenting this as well, but have been reserved for buyers of the routine.

4) Finally, Looch's routine is practically self working. Again, another piece of criteria that I want for my opening piece is that there is very little (if any) process involved. As stated, there are no thumb tips, nail writers, weird or suspicious loads, no awkward flaps, no verbal manipulation...nothing. Someone says the envelope they want and you hand it to them, that simple. This allows me to focus on calming my nerves at the beginning of the show.

There are many other reasons I believe this to be the best there is, but this should more than suffice for a real world worker that wants to add a professional piece into there act.

Best,
Matthew
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9860 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
All this has offered, except for perhaps #3 possibly, is your opinion, what you think about Bank Night and what you want in a Bank Night. I didn't realize this thread was about you and what you wanted, preferred, your criteria, your thoughts on an opener, your thoughts on spectators speaking (yeah let's bring spectators on stage and not have them speak - great idea!) and your other thoughts. This topic seemed to imply it was about The Score.

Also your "opinion" of "This is incredibly dumb, and you look stupid. If you perform a bank night routine in this manner, please stop" also offers nothing about The Score. Perhaps if you are trying to help Looch you may want to learn how to give a proper review.

If you need some examples to look at to understand a review rather than simply pushing your opinions you can look here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=20

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=40

Again, it is also not about Looch and his credibility, no one has questioned that have they?. His reputation may be stellar, but people will not buy this just based on that, they will buy or consider buying it based on their interest in a Bank Night effect/premise and for what makes this different, special or unique from the others, especially to justify the price as I am sure Looch will agree, this is quite expensive for any Bank Night routine. They need to understand all this to perhaps understand or justify its value. So no need to insinuate those asking such questions or having such concerns or feelings are in some way, not real "workers" or suspect or less proficient in any way. Again, more of your limited opinion.

When people are considering a purchase at such a non-typical price they are seeking information - facts, not just an overzealous opinion.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Mindpro,

I find all your mentioning of my opinions funny, as you follow it up with what your personal opinion of a "proper review" should be.

Your statement..."I did not realize that these were your opinions" only illustrates your lack of observation and understanding, not mine. Perhaps you should reread the very first sentence that I wrote at the top of the thread.

This was never meant to be a review. This was a general mention of a very limited edition product so that people could hear about it.

There are no opinions being pushed here. At the end of the day, I could care less if you, or anyone else on the Café buys the routine based off of my opinions, as Looch will sell these very easily without my help. However, as stated, I made the post in order to inform people that Looch has finally finished constructing a small batch of these and that they are ready for sale.

I'm not getting commission here for Looch selling these, and I'm not here as part of a "fan club" for Looch.

I'm here to help other magicians and mentalists by spreading the word about what I believe to be good professional products coming onto the market. I do this because this is one of my ways of "magicians helping magicians".

What are you doing here?
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1498 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Mindoro, you seem to have a personal agenda here it seems. If not, your comments definitely read like this. If you don’t want to buy the product, then good. I’m sure Looch doesn’t need your order. If your problem is he price, it’s quite a simple formula. There are some advantages that (in my opinion) make this the best bank night available. The routine is easy to perform, tried and true for real audiences and performance situations, and there will only be 100 other people out there performing it. These factors more than justify the price tag.

Just some thoughts,

Eli
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looch's The Score (40 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL