The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Penny for your thoughts Ľ Ľ Looch's The Score (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Roylan, THAT is a Review! Factual, honest, to the point. I applaud you. And I concur that when one produces a 'limited edition', one should protect the buyers, as I likewise own TBP.
John
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, jstreiff wrote:
Roylan, THAT is a Review! Factual, honest, to the point. I applaud you. And I concur that when one produces a 'limited edition', one should protect the buyers, as I likewise own TBP.

Many thanks. Iíve tried to write it in a way that would help me if I didnít know exactly what I was getting.

Iím pleased that Iím not the only one to hold the opinion that limited edition should be just that; limited to the original purchasers. If this had been offered ONLY to those who could prove they purchased the limited edition book, then fair enough, thatís a reasonable service, supplying a prop that is used in a routine in the book. But to put it out for general release, no, thatís disrespectful to those who purchased the original material.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Hi Rolyan and John whilst I always listen and respect the opinions and views of my customers I would also like to offer another perspective. 400 copies of TBP were produced and that is it. It will not be rereleased and is truly a limited edition release. I didn't just wake up one day and think "I know I'll release an effect from it" - A lot of people already know the history, Penguin magic bought the rights to 'The Score' BEFORE TBP was released. It was filmed and the project was set for release but they had problems having one part of it manufactured and in budget. Them being a large company couldn't make it commercially viable and thus I bought the rights back for a commercial release.

Now factor into it the following info...

400 people own TBP, and in the 3 years since its released can you guess how many people have got in contact telling me they have made up a set? Just 5!

In that same time I've had maybe 25 people telling me they haven't gotten around to making it for a variety of reasons, which include the following:

1. Couldn't obtain the same material Penguin had trouble with in the required supply (this is because only one company I've found makes it)
2. Lack of confidence making a set

So I decided to hand make just 100 sets and make them available. Not just to owners of TBP because there are also many other people who missed out on it but have heard about 'The Score' and want to use it in their shows. So if you break it down into numbers I manufactured enough for just 25% of owners of TBP, hardly making it widely available as a 'General release'. I also spoke privately with owners on TBP FB page about it and they were happy for me to do so.

On a final note, and I say this with respect all material in TBP I reserve the rights to, it's my intellectual property / creative work. I also, like you all, have a family to support.

Warmest wishes and thanks
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Hi Looch - with all due respect you are obviously going to justify why you released material that is contained in limited edition.

If a few people get in touch and discuss another routine thatís in the book, and explain that they were unable to buy the book at the time, will you release it as a pdf, just 100 copies mind you! There are plenty of people who will have heard about some of the routines and want to put it in their act. By your reasoning, you can and will release those as well at some point in the future. However, their are many who feel that regardless of the history, once you release material thatís limited, then it should remain limited. In my opinion. You obviously disagree, as is your right.

Your final note suggests that you think itís fine to do what you wish with the material as youíve retained the rights to it. There a fine line between legal and moral; just because you can do something, doesnít mean you should.

However, I am unlikely to persuade you that material contained in a limited edition should remain limited. You are unlikely to persuade me (and the others that feel the same) that you can do what you wish with material that is meant to be limited. I never had a chance to discuss it on Facebook. When you sold the book it was with the promise that there would be a private forum. After release, this was changed to FB. Not very helpful to those of us who donít have or use FB..

So weíll agree to disagree, and in the meantime, hopefully some will find the review of The Score helpful. Iíve tried to be as honest and factual as possible, so some may find it informative and useful.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Rolyan wrote:
So weíll agree to disagree, and in the meantime, hopefully some will find the review of The Score helpful. Iíve tried to be as honest and factual as possible, so some may find it informative and useful.


I appreciate you writing the review Rolyan ! Smile

All the best
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Looch wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, Rolyan wrote:
So weíll agree to disagree, and in the meantime, hopefully some will find the review of The Score helpful. Iíve tried to be as honest and factual as possible, so some may find it informative and useful.


I appreciate you writing the review Rolyan ! Smile

All the best

To show you itís not personal, there are authors that have published material from very expensive highly limited edition books, in handouts given to all attendees at a well known mentalism convention. I disagree with that as well, itís the principle I object to. But hey ho, each to his own.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18821 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There is no reason for anyone to not have a Facebook account. There are security measures in place, privacy filters, you can upload any picture you want as your avatar if you feel that way inclined. No one can steal your info unless you are silly and use obvious passwords and so on.

Facebook is more secure than this place as an example.
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2018, IAIN wrote:
There is no reason for anyone to not have a Facebook account. There are security measures in place, privacy filters, you can upload any picture you want as your avatar if you feel that way inclined. No one can steal your info unless you are silly and use obvious passwords and so on.

Facebook is more secure than this place as an example.

Yeah, I know that. I was simply pointing out that I donít have one (nor particularly want one).
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Hi Looch

I wonder if I could ask what are the angles.
If you are on stage with the participants can you be in front of them with your back to them and if you turn is there anything for the audience to see
I hope that's clear
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.


Many Thanks
Garrad
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, Garrad wrote:
Hi Looch

I wonder if I could ask what are the angles.
If you are on stage with the participants can you be in front of them with your back to them and if you turn is there anything for the audience to see
I hope that's clear


Hi Garrad,

I'm sure Looch will chime in, but I can tell you from making my own set of these by getting the instructions from The Black Project, that yes...you can stand in front of the spectators on stage. This comes down to a very simple maneuver of stage blocking and simple body mechanics.

However, the desirable position to be in is somewhat of a side jogged angle, one in which the spectators can see the envelopes that they choose, but also so that the audience can see them as well.

Hope this helps.

Matthew
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, Garrad wrote:
Hi Looch

I wonder if I could ask what are the angles.
If you are on stage with the participants can you be in front of them with your back to them and if you turn is there anything for the audience to see
I hope that's clear

Very basic stage craft and management will allow you to stand where you want and display the envelopes how you want. Routined correctly, you can show the envelopes front and back. However, I think itís strongest and cleanest on stage and front cabaret. If you perform Ďin the roundí (which brings its own particular set of problems) this may not be ideal.

At the end of the day, this is an effect and a method, therefore there is always a compromise. However, the handling is as clean as many Bank Nite routines and better than some.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, Garrad wrote:
Hi Looch

I wonder if I could ask what are the angles.
If you are on stage with the participants can you be in front of them with your back to them and if you turn is there anything for the audience to see
I hope that's clear


Hi Garrad, good to hear from you! It's been a long time!!

There are 2 primary handling on the video (there was only one in TBP) the second means you can walk out into your audience and cleanly show both sides with zero to fear. The original handling means you can't have the audience behind you. The beauty of if is that you can choose which approach you go with on the fly so if you arrive at a venue and discover the audience are to the extreme sides you can change handling. Both are very very easy !

Hope that helps
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
ThoZ
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThoZ
Hello folks,

Getting back to topic, the score arrived today at my door. Opened it, watched the video, read the PDF and started playing around with the supplied materials. Here are my first impressions:

What you get:
A nice looking box containing two sets of A6 envelopes. 5 multi coloured envelopes and 5 black envelopes. I was suprised how invisible the gimmick (without spoiling what it is) is. I was familiar with the method beforehand, but see the production quality of the gimmick itself was awesome. 10/10
You also get pre printed stickers with YOURS / MINE and numbers 1-5. I won't use them, as I am going to print my own labels, but the supplied ones are loooking good and printed in a high quality.

Instructions:
You get a video of roughly 40 minutes, explaining the basic handling, showing a basic performance, ideas and an alternative handling, allowing you to show both sites of the envelopes. I wasn't aware of this version beforehand, it just brillant thinking! The PDF (22 pages) explains each step in detail, provides some additional ideas and links to additional resources.
You also get two PDFs with templates for different presentations / languages, containing not only text, but symbols and images.

The score proved again why the name "looch" is often said in conjuction with "simple and direct"

I love it, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I am looking to perform it, will be fun, gonna write a more in depth review after I have tried it Smile

Have a nice day,

Thank you Looch!

Thomas - ThoZ
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Thank you Looch
You will be hearing from me soon buddy as I will be ordering this

Best Wishes and Kind thoughts
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.


Many Thanks
Garrad
Paul Fitzgerald
View Profile
Regular user
Panama City, Panama
125 Posts

Profile of Paul Fitzgerald
"The Score" is a well considered and complete package for the Bank Night Theme effect.
It's been produced by Looch, who has a track-record of high quality releases across the last ten years, the pinnacle for me being "The Black Project".
I've seen him Lecture and perform live to regular spectators on numerous occasions in UK, Germany and US.
The price discussion is subjective, for me it's worth the investment for others maybe it isn't and that's okay because only 100 "Score" packages will be released.
Just my humble opinion but I'm always happy to support Looch because he is a full-time pro, when he releases anything he does not except anything less than as close to perfection that is possible for him.
I just wish more people would follow his blueprint when releasing work.
Thank you Looch.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2018, ThoZ wrote:
Hello folks,

Getting back to topic, the score arrived today at my door. Opened it, watched the video, read the PDF and started playing around with the supplied materials. Here are my first impressions:

What you get:
A nice looking box containing two sets of A6 envelopes. 5 multi coloured envelopes and 5 black envelopes. I was suprised how invisible the gimmick (without spoiling what it is) is. I was familiar with the method beforehand, but see the production quality of the gimmick itself was awesome. 10/10
You also get pre printed stickers with YOURS / MINE and numbers 1-5. I won't use them, as I am going to print my own labels, but the supplied ones are loooking good and printed in a high quality.

Instructions:
You get a video of roughly 40 minutes, explaining the basic handling, showing a basic performance, ideas and an alternative handling, allowing you to show both sites of the envelopes. I wasn't aware of this version beforehand, it just brillant thinking! The PDF (22 pages) explains each step in detail, provides some additional ideas and links to additional resources.
You also get two PDFs with templates for different presentations / languages, containing not only text, but symbols and images.

The score proved again why the name "looch" is often said in conjuction with "simple and direct"

I love it, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I am looking to perform it, will be fun, gonna write a more in depth review after I have tried it Smile

Have a nice day,

Thank you Looch!

Thomas - ThoZ


Thanks for your thorough review ThoZ, looking forward to hearing from you once you've integrated it into your show
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2018, Garrad wrote:
Thank you Looch
You will be hearing from me soon buddy as I will be ordering this

Best Wishes and Kind thoughts


No problem mate, if you want to hop onto Skype sometime I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2018, Paul Fitzgerald wrote:
"The Score" is a well considered and complete package for the Bank Night Theme effect.
It's been produced by Looch, who has a track-record of high quality releases across the last ten years, the pinnacle for me being "The Black Project".
I've seen him Lecture and perform live to regular spectators on numerous occasions in UK, Germany and US.
The price discussion is subjective, for me it's worth the investment for others maybe it isn't and that's okay because only 100 "Score" packages will be released.
Just my humble opinion but I'm always happy to support Looch because he is a full-time pro, when he releases anything he does not except anything less than as close to perfection that is possible for him.
I just wish more people would follow his blueprint when releasing work.
Thank you Looch.


Thank YOU Paul! I appreciate your feedback, I will only release material I perform myself and stand by 100% Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
A private Facebook group has been set up by my moderator. To owners who want to access it please do so by requesting an add here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/148352275875983/about/

You will need to tell us your order # so we can manually approve you! Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3371 Posts

Profile of Looch
My friend David Meade has recently recommended a reusable type label that can be printed using your home printer and can be peeled off after the performance. This now has created unlimited possibilities in terms of customising 'The Score' for different clients. You can now personalise your presentations for specific clients (Corporate or Private) I bought a pack of the labels and have been testing them, they are perfect!! Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Penny for your thoughts Ľ Ľ Looch's The Score (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL