The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Eugene Burger's Magical Voyages DVD Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kenllh
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kenllh
What do you think of this set? I have never seen a review before, if I am not mistaken. Is it good?

What are the effects in it?

I am thinking of buying it, but I am not too sure.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
The Al Baker trick(s) are great. But you are getting a lot of "discussion", and only four or five effects per tape (or DVD).

If you like to hear Eugene talk, then you won't be disappointed. I mean, there's like a 30 minute discussion on a basic spongeball routine. Overall, I thought they were just "okay" for the money.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 12:15, doug brewer wrote:
The Al Baker trick(s) are great. But you are getting a lot of "discussion" and only 4 or 5 effects per tape (or DVD). If you like to hear Eugene talk then you won't be disappointed. I mean, there's like a 30 minute discussion on a basic spongeball routine. Overall, I thought they were just "okay" for the money.

Doug,

Do you believe that Eugene was either being repetitive or that the discussion material was irrelevant or redundant or incoherent dribble? Or were you disappointed because you expected more effects per DVD and less theory and presentation discussion?

The reason I am asking is because Eugene is pretty well known for discussing presentation and using effects as illustrations for his presentation expositions. (I own most of his books and he really is an exponent of good presentation and presentation rationale.) The effects he discussed in these books might almost be thought of as secondary.

I've also seen at least one video presentation of Eugene's and he, even while performing an effect, went into the whys and wherefores of different moves he does or does not do.

I've come to expect that sort of thing from Eugene and, quite frankly, I think that that sort of information is sometimes a lot more valuable than just performing and revealing the methodology of an effect.

So my question is: Was this discussion material long because Eugene was bumbling around, repeating himself or just talking dribble, or was he putting out valuable information albeit few effects?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Aiea, Hawaii
245 Posts

Profile of BWind
I purposely only purchased volume 1, exclusively for Eugene's 21st Century Bill Transposition. This specific item is sold individually for about $20; therefore, the rest of the DVD (in my opinion)is a bonus and worth the money.

BWind
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
These DVDs are excellent. All of it is practical, and I use all of the effects on a regular basis. The discussions are invaluable and very insightful, if you care enough to pay attention to them, as I know some people won't. Eugene is a great teacher, and these DVDs will not disappoint. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Zombieboy,

That's precisely the point I was trying to make.

And, in regard to Eugene's ideas on presentation, here is an EXCELLENT web site (http://www.yourmagic.com/MagicBeard/articles.php). On this site, there are many FREE articles on Eugene's thoughts on presentation. I highly recommend this web site.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Wow, looks like I stepped into a hornet's nest. Okay, they're great.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 16:20, doug brewer wrote:
Wow, looks like I stepped into a hornet's nest . . . okay, they're great.

Doug,

No, no hornet's nest. No criticism of why you were turned off by the DVDs was intended. I was just seeking the aforesaid clarification so I could make a more informed decision on my potential purchase. I was just seeking clarification on exactly what it was about his discussions that turned you off.

If Eugene was only rambling, repeating himself, putting out "fluff" or otherwise not putting out germane info in these discussions, I was going to pass on the DVDs. On the other hand, if his discussions were actually extended presentation discussion(s), this would be a motivation for me to want to buy the DVDs.

Hence, my request for clarification on exactly what you were indicating by your comments.

Now, go out and win another SAM Close-up Championship. It's been four years and you are due. (grin)

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Mike, the website is indeed great. I have learned from Eugene several times in the past three years, and have found his help to be invaluable.

In regard to the above "hornets nest" to use the vapid expression, you can pay attention to his obstensive "ramblings" and learn a great deal on how to make your magic and presentations more meaningful, or ignore them completely. To each his own, but the results will speak for themselves.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
These are wonderful DVD's. To hear Eugene's insights on performing is invaluable. There are also very powerful routines.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mahood
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mahood
I have also to give these tapes/DVDs the thumbs up. There's at LEAST one excellent, performable effect on each tape---not to say that the other effects are poor---but quite the contrary.

Few people perform every effect on every tape they buy, but I'd be surprised if there's not at LEAST one thing that tickles your fancy.

He performs a wide range of magic, and I love the way the three tapes are separated into real world stuff, more bizarre stuff, and then very personal and presentational stuff. Throughout the tapes he has several guests; he's used the idea of having friends write in questions for him to answer, giving Eugene the space to answer some very interesting questions, not only about himself, but regarding performing situations, types of effects and generally giving some great tips and advice.

There definitely are some golden nuggest on these tapes (in my opinion!).
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1717 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I've got these DVDs and consider his work to be excellent. I must admit, though, that I prefer reading his work as opposed to seeing it done on these DVDs.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
His '5/10' card force worth the price of vol.1 itself.
never try, never know
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
If you are looking to improve your act and become a better performer, get this set.

If you are looking to add more and more tricks to your drawers which are already full of magic, look somewhere else.

I agree with daeichler. His wriiten works in my opinion are better. If you ca find a copy buy Mastering the Art of Magic before you get this set. This is one of my top favourite books. A wealth of knowlege.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1717 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Quote:
On 2004-04-30 07:24, Xavier wrote:
...His wriiten works in my opinion are better. If you ca find a copy buy Mastering the Art of Magic before you get this set. This is one of my top favourite books. A wealth of knowlege.

Xavier, I was looking through my copy of Mastering the Art of Magic just before I typed my response, above. How nice to have your response follow! It really is one of the best books I have on magic.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
577 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
I re-watched these today. Fantastic set of DVDs, and as said above the tricks really aren't the main focus, Eugene goes into detail about structuring magic acts, character development, scripting etc. When Eugene speaks I listen Smile
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
There was not enough tricks on each DVD. These could have been squeezed into two dvd's.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
They were originally released as videos I believe.

It was fun to hear him discuss doing the sponge balls at The Castle and hearing Dai Vernon blurt out "he ruined the sponge balls". Eugene went onto say why Vernon felt that way.

The 21St Century Bill Switch is no longer the way he performs it ( he said on the tape he felt it was still a work in progress ).

His performance of Al Baker's "The Card From Hat" was great because he asked the girl to name her card and she wouldn't, she wanted him to tell her. HA! Eugene was on the money in his handling of it.

Fun set with some great magic!
Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
247 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
There may not have been "enough tricks" on the DVDs (totally fine to have that opinion) but I would happily buy a set of DVDs from Eugene just to listen to his performing tips, ideas, theories, etc. He really is one of the all-time greats in magic. I personally think he's brilliant in both his scripting, acting and skill. I use his spongeball routine all the time, and yes, ladies do SCREAM when they all come out. The man is a master and a gentleman in my view.
Cris Johnson, BCH, CI, CT.NLP

www.ProfessionalMagicProducts.com
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
577 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Everyone has different priorities and preferences. Young guys (and some not so young) are typically all about "tricks".

It's all good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Eugene Burger's Magical Voyages DVD Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL