The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "Choosing" set up routine when using "Story Sticks" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi All: I have greatly enjoyed using "Story Sticks" www.StorySticks.net in our kids Sunday School.

Many Bible stories using these sticks have already been published by Rev. Barney Kinard (see the above web site above) including those where Jesus or the Bible character being discussed made either good or very bad choices. This would include Fall-Adam and Eve Sin; Samson and Delilah, The Prodigal Son, Temptation of Jesus, Wise and Foolish Builder and The Good Samaritan.

Soooo, the next time I use Story Sticks for any of the above stories, I am going to start out the routine with the kids using the old as the hills "Magician's Choice" or "Hot Rod" color selection. I purchased for $7.29 from Office Depot/Office Max 6 different colored "Post-It" Notes- "Rio De Janeiro Collection" by 3M, Cat. # 622-6SSAU. Then, I cut down the Post-It Notes a little bit so they would fit on the top Story Stick (not going over the width of the Stick). I am using Post-It Notes so no color trace will be left on the Stick from a Crayon or marker after use or having to peel off with my finger nail a colored paper sticker after completing the trick/set up.

So in short, I place on the first Story Stick six different colored "Post-It" notes with the green Post-It in the third position from the right, fourth position from the left. On the second Story Stick below, I stuck on 6 all green Post-It Notes. So green is the "force color".

Set Up Routine: "Today Girls and Boys I am going to show you something SPELLBINDING... I hope. I hope we learn something as well. When someone says a book or movie is SPELLBINDING- they mean it is really good! Joey/Jenny (whatever the child's name you pick)- Pick ANY number between 0-7! Secretly tell the Johnny (the kid sitting next to you) the number. So zero and seven are out, but 1-2-3-4-5 or 6 are okay. Make sure I don't hear it! Have you done that? We did not arrange this in advance, did we?, it was your number you picked on your own."

"Here I have my top Story Stick with six brightly colored Post-It Notes on it. What is the number you picked?" If the child says three or four, you count from the right end of the Stick or the left end of the Stick to end up on the green Post-It Note.

If the child picks 1, 2, 5 or 6: I/the performer says: "As I said before this is going to be a SPELLBINDING trick- so we are going to SPELL the number chosen by Joey and see where it lands on the Stick." Then I purposely mis-spell the word: Such as S-I-X-X- the kids will yell out- you spelled it wrong! I then say: "I toldya we'd learn something- how do you spell six?" Then, spelling from the correct side of the stick, I end up on the green Post-It Note.

"So Joey selected the color green. That's one of my favorite colors. When the grass and the trees becomes green outside, it means Spring is here! Green means Go! When someone is new or fresh on a new job, they will call the newbie person "green". I love my green shirt and tie! (which I will be wearing). So chosing green was a great choice! But sometimes when another class mate does very well with school grades or on the play ground, others may become green with envy! That is a bad choice, for rather than being jealous, we should instead be happy for that friend getting good grades or cheer them on as you continue to play in a game together. We should do until others as we would like them to treat us. That is what Jesus taught in His Sermon on the Mount." (Matthew 7:12).

"Well let's take a look at the second Stick below!" Reveal the six all green Post-It Notes, but "fake" being very careful not to show any other Sticks. "Wow! They are all green!" (act real suspicious, fidget with the Sticks keeping them all lined up).

"What? What? Do any of you think I have other colors on the other Sticks? You do? Me?..." Then show the other Sticks (both sides) to prove that there are no other Post-It Notes. You can them peel off all the Post-It Notes or leave them there- just turn the entire Story Sticks set over so the side facing the audience has no notes on it.

"We just learned about the importance of making the right choice. Did you know there is a Bible story about ________ (see above stories) who was faced with making either a GOOD choice that will please God as we are a reflection of Him or a BAD choice that hides God working in us?" Then proceed through the Story Stick routine as written by author Barney above. Barney suggests later on using the Story Sticks again as a followup reminder- this time with the kids themselves calling out what each Story Stick formation means/in retelling the Bible story again. Great suggestion!

I love Story Sticks. The product itself is very well made- I keep them in the mailing tube they are shipped in so they are not by mistake stepped on by me or mangled in some way in travel (they are very sturdy already). A+++++
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
If you are looking for a short video clip to show on this topic, put "Choices" in the search box at www.BillyGraham.org A good song that can be sung at the end is "I Have Decided To Follow Jesus" (Cedarmont Kids DVD)
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I've known Barney a long time and am fortunate to attend LAFCM meetings with him. I am excited to see Story Sticks being widely distributed and in use by story tellers far and wide. I'm in the process of adopting them to my personal testimony as well. See how it works out.
Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Story Sticks instructional videos can now be purchased for $2.99 for viewing on Vimeo. The first one I bought was "The Rich Young Ruler". The story taught by Barney Kinard on this video is far more complete/longer than the one page of instructions (page 23) from "The Stories That Stick" manual. The video version is a full very complete lesson and has 22 stick positions. I charted out all 22 on a large poster board to place on the floor as my cheat sheet/cue card reminder of the various stick moves used in the story. Well worth the $2.99 to see the entire story along with a tutorial on how easily Rev. Kinard handles the sticks. It does take practice to do a routine of this length well, but it is worth it! Going to use it in Lighthouse Kids next Sunday 😊 www.StorySticks.net
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Story Sticks are a great illustration. Highly rekommand it.
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Mission Magic in GB has some routines as Well https://www.missionmagic.co.uk/best-sell......-stories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » "Choosing" set up routine when using "Story Sticks" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL