The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skeletons From the Closet - Premier Issue (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ggarcia
View Profile
Veteran user
San Antonio Tx
395 Posts

Profile of ggarcia
Hi, I am also interested in both issues. tried to send a PM but looks like your box is full.
Sh9bum9
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
Thanks for all you've done for everyone. I've enjoyed the few things I've ordered. May I have copies of your new magazine. I'd be happy to pay for them. Your PM is full.
Thanks,
Lou Heck
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Well, I am a bit late to this party--not for acquiring the manuscript, which I did immediately when it was available, but in actually getting to the reading of it. I often pick up effects and take my sweet time in actually getting to learning and playing with them, for which I apologize to Sudo!!

What an amazing breath of fresh air this is! Not just the effect itself, which is quite simple and straightforward at it's core, but the entire experience of reading the manuscript. It is so well written and so attractively laid out that it makes learning the effect so pleasurable and almost effortless. Sudo's examination of Bob Hummer himself and the issues he was dealing with was fascinating in and of itself; I remember reading a bit about Hummer showing big name magicians effects in his apartment with roaches crawling on the bed, but Sudo really fleshes out his mental illness so readers have a better understanding and appreciation of what he struggled with. Just my way of saying that learning the "trick" (which is awesome) is only a part of the experience of this really excellent e-magazine.

Anyway, the effect itself is completely dissected and reshaped by Sudo in his usual BRILLIANT manner. He gives the complete description as the effect originally appeared, goes into the reasons it has been largely forgotten, and then lays it on the cutting board, trims away all the old, fatty, and unnecessary bits, stitches on a few modern touches and turns it into an impromptu miracle! He also generously gives more than one approach, to suit performers at different levels. In short, this is an absolute gem, which we've come to expect from the brilliant (and sometimes tortured) mind of Sudo Nimh. (And BTW, it is not simply the way his mind works that is lovely to behold--the man clearly has Mad Skillz when it comes to design, layout, and artwork which is demonstrated in many of his manuscripts.) As a clinician in the mental health field, I love how this work respectfully and truthfully examined this piece of magic within the context of very real struggles with mental disorders... from which this effect sprang and through the lens of which it was reimagined. In that vein, the last paragraph of the issue was especially authentic and meaningful..! Smile

Thank you, Sudo! I have to say, in all honesty, that I preferred when you made your work available for sale on your website (the design made it enjoyable to peruse and occasionally purchase effects, and the prices were well below what you could have reasonably asked) but I think I grok your reasons for wanting to do things this way instead. At any rate, folks have to be crazy not to take advantage of getting these for free. HIGHLY recommended!!

Can't wait to dive into Issue #2... will have some thoughts on that when I do so.

Seth
DGillam
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of DGillam
Is there a way to receive the PDF's other than request via PM since your PM box is full?
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
The best way is just to wait a bit and let him sort his inbox--he usually (but not always) clears it out within a few days, so keep checking back when you can.

Seth
Olivier7
View Profile
New user
London
60 Posts

Profile of Olivier7
Hello, I am interested to read the issue one of your project. It sounds super interesting. As others have stated your inbox is full. Could you please send it to me ? Thanks ! Olivier
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Hey Sudo, tried pm'ing you for this issue.. inbox is full. Would love to take a look! Thanks mate

Tomas
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
HEY!!! SUDO!!! Your mailbox is full!! I don't think you may know.

;)
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, Seth speaks wrote:
Well, I am a bit late to this party--not for acquiring the manuscript, which I did immediately when it was available, but in actually getting to the reading of it. I often pick up effects and take my sweet time in actually getting to learning and playing with them, for which I apologize to Sudo!!

What an amazing breath of fresh air this is! Not just the effect itself, which is quite simple and straightforward at it's core, but the entire experience of reading the manuscript. It is so well written and so attractively laid out that it makes learning the effect so pleasurable and almost effortless. Sudo's examination of Bob Hummer himself and the issues he was dealing with was fascinating in and of itself; I remember reading a bit about Hummer showing big name magicians effects in his apartment with roaches crawling on the bed, but Sudo really fleshes out his mental illness so readers have a better understanding and appreciation of what he struggled with. Just my way of saying that learning the "trick" (which is awesome) is only a part of the experience of this really excellent e-magazine.

Anyway, the effect itself is completely dissected and reshaped by Sudo in his usual BRILLIANT manner. He gives the complete description as the effect originally appeared, goes into the reasons it has been largely forgotten, and then lays it on the cutting board, trims away all the old, fatty, and unnecessary bits, stitches on a few modern touches and turns it into an impromptu miracle! He also generously gives more than one approach, to suit performers at different levels. In short, this is an absolute gem, which we've come to expect from the brilliant (and sometimes tortured) mind of Sudo Nimh. (And BTW, it is not simply the way his mind works that is lovely to behold--the man clearly has Mad Skillz when it comes to design, layout, and artwork which is demonstrated in many of his manuscripts.) As a clinician in the mental health field, I love how this work respectfully and truthfully examined this piece of magic within the context of very real struggles with mental disorders... from which this effect sprang and through the lens of which it was reimagined. In that vein, the last paragraph of the issue was especially authentic and meaningful..! Smile

Thank you, Sudo! I have to say, in all honesty, that I preferred when you made your work available for sale on your website (the design made it enjoyable to peruse and occasionally purchase effects, and the prices were well below what you could have reasonably asked) but I think I grok your reasons for wanting to do things this way instead. At any rate, folks have to be crazy not to take advantage of getting these for free. HIGHLY recommended!!

Can't wait to dive into Issue #2... will have some thoughts on that when I do so.

Seth

Seth has spoken. And how well he roared. I absolutely concur with every singe word.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Thanks, Nicolino! Short review now: It is a great issue! Grab it!

Though, it looks like we might be having another hiatus from Sudo, as occasionally happens after very creative periods... and I always get a bit concerned during those times of silence, but I guess it's prudent to wait a bit longer before worrying.

Seth
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
No need to worry - but I appreciate the concern. The fact of the matter is that I developed a terrible flu which completely wiped out my immune system while I was writing the second issue of Skeletons. This weakened condition then brought on a shingles attack which I am still trying to fight off and has slowed my progress considerably due to the severe pain I have been experiencing as a result. I've not ever had this illness before and I wouldn't wish it on anybody - the pain is almost unbearable at times. Seems that life really is like a box of chocolates - you open them up and everybody's already eaten all the good ones...

The good news, however, is that the third issue is nearly ready now. Because the last issue was so massive in size, I deliberately chose to feature an item in this issue which wouldn't require me to have to explain the method so as to cut down on my workload considerably in light of this illness. However, this has not been the case. As I began writing this issue, I realized that I had established a precedent with this series and set the bar very high. I simply cannot skimp on explaining the fine details and the "whys" and rationale behind every smallest detail because they are all of extreme importance. What's the point of doing something at all if you're not going to do it right? Long story short: this issue has turned out to be far more work than I had initially imagined. It seems that every issue has been, and will continue to be, a considerable amount of work because I must maintain this standard or else there's no point in continuing on. Frankly, I am surprised I was even able to hammer out the first two issues in less than two weeks total.

I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to comment on this thread with your beautiful words and support of the project in one form or another - they keep me motivated to continue writing and to make it through yet one more day. I write these for YOU.

For the rest of you, I apologize that my inbox is full and that I've not gotten to opening your messages yet. I will do so very shortly when the next issue is ready to go so that I can kill 'two birds with one stone', so to speak. For now, please be patient - I promise I'll get to you all soon enough.

Remember to be kind - you never know how a simple action will impact your life or that of others. (The next issue is all about this theme....)
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I'm very sorry to hear about your illness Sudo and think it's more important that you get well than worry about us. Sometimes we have to be selfish so we can be altruistic later on. It's said that "we can't help others with their own house unless our house is clean". Now I don't know if that's true but how can you be on top if your feeling so low. So don't worry about us and be good to yourself. FIGHT the illness and just get better. That's all that matters.

On a personal note I'm sorry I haven't gone to the google thing. I'm so paranoid about my privacy that even on my wife's account I cringe at the thought of being in cyber space. I'm working on it but really find it hard. Give me time and I'll get through it and you'll see my Shrek like image all to soon. Again feel better my friend and may the sickness pass leaving no trace. God Speed!
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Thanks for your thoughts Senor. While I understand your sentiments, the fact of the matter is that if I have learned anything at all in life, it's that the body responds to what the mind believes. And right now, I'm trying to convince myself that I'm 'ok' and that this is not going to get me - I've been through far worse. I have to keep my mind focused and occupied or it's game over for me.

And as for google hangouts - don't worry about it. You don't want to talk to me on there right now anyways. Ask anybody who has been speaking with me recently on there and they'll tell you that this illness has gotten me ranting about demons, the proliferation of Satanic and Occult symbolism everywhere in modern society, the end of the world, and the absolute wickedness of Governments. Best to wait till I'm feeling better.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

I to see demons and evidence of the deceiver all around me trying to break my will and cause me to lose faith. But I have been to hell and know the lie of painful pleasures. I will not give in and stand firm against the beast. Saint Michael, the Archangel! Glorious Prince, chief and champion of the heavenly hosts; guardian of the souls of men; conqueror of the rebel angels! How beautiful art thou, in thy heaven-made armor. We love thee, dear Prince of Heaven! We, thy happy clients, yearn to enjoy thy special protection. Obtain for us from God a share of thy sturdy courage; pray that we may have a strong and tender love for our Redeemer and, in every danger or temptation, be invincible against the enemy of our souls. O standard-bearer of our salvation! Be with us in our last moments and when our souls quit this earthly exile, carry them safely to the judgement seat of Christ, and may Our Lord and Master bid thee bear us speedily to the kingdom of eternal bliss. Teach us ever to repeat the sublime cry: "Who is like unto God?"
Amen.

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Senor, are you familiar with the expression "Kyrie eleison"? It is of Greek origin and means "Lord have mercy".

This song is my strength these days. I post it here for you and for those others who find comfort in it's hymn.

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Perhaps I should just say nothing anymore...
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 28, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Senor, are you familiar with the expression "Kyrie eleison"? It is of Greek origin and means "Lord have mercy".

This song is my strength these days. I post it here for you and for those others who find comfort in it's hymn.

One of my favorite songs from the 80s and very inspirational.

Newsround
View Profile
New user
UK
82 Posts

Profile of Newsround
Hope you’re feeling better soon Sudo
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2018, Newsround wrote:
Hope you’re feeling better soon Sudo

Thank-you. It's slowly getting better. Shingles are awful.

I made a Facebook page. If anybody would like to join me there just send me a friend request. I figure it'll be a lot easier to keep everybody updated with personal news and news regarding upcoming releases for Skeletons and all that good stuff.

You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/sudo.nimh.39
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
108 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
I just read the first issue of Skeletons From The Closet. Extremely nice layout and a very well built routine.

As usual, another brilliant thought of Sudo.

Thank you for your usual generosity with the whole community.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skeletons From the Closet - Premier Issue (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL