The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skeletons From the Closet - Premier Issue (50 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Also if one uses a memorized deck if you punch the cards you can actually do the effect genuinely blinfolded the entire time.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
All true. Smile

And I'm happy that you enjoyed this issue.

Since the main focus of this project is the exploration of old effects with the intention of tidying them up and modernization, this means that I try to work within the parameters of the original effect. In this case, that means"normal deck". I did outline a personal preference in the write-up, but it actually makes no difference if it is used or not since the effect can still be accomplished without it - and with absolutely zero changes to the handling or impact. I don't wish to change the methods so dramatically that they bear no resemblance to the original because it is counter to the focus of this publication.

Personally, I think there is a real elegance to being able to accomplish all of this without resorting to such measures. Being "genuinely" blindfolded is a condition that only you, the performer, is actually aware of. So who does this "genuinely blindfolded" condition *actually* please?

That said, if you'd like to go with that approach - by all means do so! Others have PM'd with the exact same ideas you've thought of as well, and I told them the same thing. Either way, I hope that you (and your audiences) have fun no matter what direction you choose to travel with this.

I am not the arbiter of what is right or wrong for others. Smile

One last thing: can we please NOT openly mention methods here since this is a public area.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Sudo,

Of course this can be used in so many different ways. That is why its so nice. Its by adding or taking out things we accomplish what we want out final effect to be.

As in 'there is a real elegance to being able to accomplish all of this without resorting to such measures' You still have to resort to measures like preparation and you can't actually accomplish this with any deck so who is to say where to stop with the preparation and how much is enough or too much.

Like I said I really like the effect as it is as I like everything you shared and the 'punch cards' approached I might never ever do since that's quite a lot of preparation if you don't already have a punched deck..just wanted to explore some ideas and I was pretty sure other people thought of them as well.

BTW I really like the hand movement subtetly that makes the effect work. I don't think I came across it before and now it goes into my repertoire of tools.

Thanks again!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2018, LoveKey1988 wrote:
You still have to resort to measures like preparation and you can't actually accomplish this with any deck so who is to say where to stop with the preparation and how much is enough or too much.

This is only partially true. While it many not be possible with ANY deck, it is designed to be possible with a normal deck with NO preparation.... Smile

Since you aren't the only one who had those ideas, perhaps it may be a beneficial feature to include a section in 'Skeletons' where I can add readers' ideas for effects that were published in previous issues - although that would increase my workload considerably. Something for me to think about at least. But then there is the problem in trying to decide which submissions are worth adding to such a section and which aren't - eventually somebody is going to get upset or feelings hurt...it's a delicate thing to juggle.

Another option would be to have a facebook page for 'Skeletons' (uggh - I dislike FB immensely) where readers can simply post their ideas freely. That is probably the best option - as much as I strongly dislike (and distrust) facebook. What do you guys think?

Anyways, glad you didn't take what I said offensively - I certainly meant none. I sincerely do hope that you do as you like with it and have a blast in doing so.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I think a facebook group for discussing the effects in this magazine is a great idea. Even if you dislike facebook you can create an account just for the purpose of posting in that group.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Well, hopefully more readers will chime in and I can weigh the input. I won't do it unless there's enough people who think it's worthwhile...

As soon as I think "FaceBook", I think of people who have to post a billion 'selfies' and pictures of what they had for dinner.

Perhaps I'm just jealous that what they had for dinner is usually better than what I had. Smile
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Most of the FB groups I'm in don't see much activity. While it does have the convenience of alerting you to activity pretty much automatically, I think spreading the discussion out between different sites may stifle the discussion in one place or the other.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
638 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
I'll have to pass on the FB idea. I know some others use it, but it's not enough to get me in there, my plan is to be the last person in earth without a FB account, and then write a book called "The man without friends", the whole content will be about my real friends.

Marc
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I still think there should be a medium where other can express their ideas about the creations in this magazine.
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
I am very pleased with Sudo's first issue because:
1) It is a great trick
2) The presentation / print is very professional (great images - perfect explantions)
3) Excellent advice in the beginning of document (that has nothing to do with the trick itself)
4) Some remarkable and unique background information about where the idea came from and about the magician in question
5) Sudo shares this freely with no strings attached

In short a magical presentation of magical trick

Thank you Sudo
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
What about starting a thread on Inner Thoughts?
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I think that's a good idea.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Personally, I am not a fan of doing this in "Inner Thoughts". Why?

Even though I am sharing this publication freely, I choose to do so with those I choose - which is the vast majority of people who request. But unfortunately, there are some people who are NOT welcome to my work for a variety of reasons. The most common reason for this is that there are repeat offenders of bad manners who simply send me a PM with a simple message such as "Send me the book". Then when they receive it, they can't even be bothered to just say "thanks". Things of that nature irritate me greatly since I put a lot of work into what I do and there is literally nobody else in the art doing what I'm doing. We live in an age where the marketplace is flooded with mediocre material at high prices and the almighty dollar seems to rule everything - so I try to do the opposite and give "good" to "great" material for free. I mean, some people think that using the "Cut Deeper" thing actually constitutes a good method for the "Open Prediction" effect and that it is an original idea as well...

There are a few other reasons as well for why I like to maintain some amount of control over my work, but that's besides the point.

As mentioned before, I'm not a fan of facebook either - so I'm glad to see that there are some who feel that this isn't the place to go. I'm not sure what the solution is.
mike hopley
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of mike hopley
With his characteristic blend of performance experience and magical acumen Sudo has polished a Bob Hummer subtlety into an impenetrable mystery. It is rare - and so refreshing - to see someone prepared to put so much effort into sharing his ideas with the magical community for the love of the art rather than the search for profit.
Thanks very much, Sudo. Your generosity and creativity is much appreciated.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
(...) there are repeat offenders of bad manners who simply send me a PM with a simple message such as "Send me the book". Then when they receive it, they can't even be bothered to just say "thanks".(...)

One day, after many such experiences, I started a list of such people I wouldn't send anything anymore Smile Sometimes, I feel like posting it Smile

Anyway... I'm not a big fan of FaceBook groups. One can only post tiny unreadable messages (or big pictures) which makes it difficult to follow. But I believe you could ask for a private "sub forum" on the Café.
If not (which would surprise me), there are lots of sites where you can open a free forum.
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
@ Mike Hopley: Thanks kindly for the touching words. I am happy that yourself and others find value in my work and will continue to share as long as there are those who are interested. For me, that is the meaning of "brotherhood".

@Cervier: Thanks for your input. I always appreciate your thoughts on things. Based on what some have expressed here and in PM's - I have definitely ruled out facebook. Seems that I'm not the only one who not only dislikes and distrusts that platform. Perhaps when we chat next you can fill me in on the free forums you've mentioned. BTW - I've twice tried out your re-ordering on that effect we were discussing...the first went over with a direct hit, and the second allowed me to use that procedure I shared with you, flawlessly. So it looks like it may have some real merit. Smile
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
This is a terrific effect, plus all the thought process around it is really enjoyable. Yes, I listen to directors' commentary tracks on DVDs and attend talkback sessions after plays.

Sharing the biographical info on Bob Hummer was really special. I've admired his ideas, usually as developed by others, because The Collected Secrets of Bob Hummer is not an easy book to come by so his work is hard to experience first hand. (Btw, my understanding is that Karl Fulves wrote the book itself, with Gardner writing only the introduction -- maybe something to revise in the Skeletons manuscript?) Thanks for uncorking that bottle and letting a wider audience drink from it. We should know more of the people who populate the history of magic -- they're often fascinating characters.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tim. And yes, you're correct - I just went and checked - Gardner wrote only the introduction. Scratch up one more for Fulves! Good catch - I had it written down backwards in my notes as Fulves doing the introduction. Must've been the late-night writing marathon.

I'll amend that straight away. On another note, Gardner has written so many books that the easier question is "What HASN'T he wrote?" Then again, so has Fulves. Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I love this! I am always a fan of knowing where our babies come from so this little publication really put a smile on my face! This principle has so many uses...beautiful!

Nathan
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I enjoyed reading the first issuer of Skeletons Foem The Closet. Very well written and produced. Though I’m. It a big fan of this type of effect, Sudo put considerable thought into making this a performance piece and a fooler. I look forward to future issues.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Skeletons From the Closet - Premier Issue (50 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL