We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » TARBELL COURSE IN MAGIC (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Johnnymysto
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
116 Posts

Profile of Johnnymysto
I've only got the first three volumes, but even in just those there is a TON of material. I think the fact that they are so old is the best reason to look through them time and time again. The effects are just as stunning as any on the market today.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
The best overall magic set ever created. Priceless treasures that I consult back to frequently. When I first wanted these books, they were $300.!!! I got them all for about $170 brand new. Still words of wisdom in these books to live by, even today. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1090 Posts

Profile of Nash
Ok, I heard a lot about the Tarbell but never got my hands on them.

I also was recommended the series of Apocalypse by Harry Lorayne and I've bought the first vol.

My question is, which one should I get?
Apocalypse series? Or Tarbell?
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I would suggest Tarbell for the breadth and scope and variety. I think you will be pleased with the variety in it. Not just the basics but many, many good and seldom seen routines.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I will never stop reading them! there is so much material, that by the time your done reading all of them, you have forgotten all the content of the early volumes, so you have to go back and read them again! Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I have heard so many good things about these books, that I got volumes one and three. If I like them, I will probably eventually get the whole set. I have about 20 DVDs and the only books I have are the Art of Astonishment books, Royal Road to Card Magic, Amateur Magicians Handbook, and Modern Coin Magic, all of which (besides Art of Astonishment) are geared mainly toward either basic sleights, or mathematical effects. After reading the contents of the Tarbell Books, there are also some mathematical effects. Are these books geared toward beginners and only teach things I probably already know, or are they for beginners and more advanced magicians? Thanks.

Shane Wiker
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Shane,

Tarbell's has something about virtually every aspect of magic. They are for everyone, all levels, all types of magic. And by the way, you can usually get them much cheaper when you buy a whole set.

I have this friend I've been up to Denny and Lee's with several times. He's always going in and asking where he can find a certain effect. Inevitably, Denny's answer is "Tarbell's". I eventually talked this guy into giving up about $300 worth of stuff and buying the whole set.

I am curious what you mean by "mathematical". As far as I recall, I can't think of any mathematical tricks in Royal Road or Bobo's.

Good luck,

Mark
What would Wavy do?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yes I bought the whole set at 30% off the cover price of $205. sadly back when I was a kid, I could not afford the $300 set. I wish I could have though. I was glad to finally find them for a great deal! they have a wealth of knowledge for all skill levels of magicians alike. a great reference, and a great collectible to add to your library.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Am always reading and learning from the tarbell course in magic
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
In my opinion, what makes the Tarbell Course valuable is its very broad scope.

The course covers cards, coins, balls, eggs, silks, mentalism, and even prop classics like the Cups & Balls and the Linking Rings. So a beginner can sample many different types of magic, decide what he/she likes best and also discover what is best suited to their personality and ability. Then they can purchase Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic," Hugard's "Royal Road to Card Magic," Rice's "Silk Encyclopedia" or whatever for more detail and additional information in a particular area.

I agree that some of the patter and presentation ideas in Tarbell are a bit outdated -- but you're always better off with your own patter and presentation anyway. On the other hand, the essays about magic history, misdirection, stage presence and routining are timeless and still very useful.

As others have noted, the Tarbell set is a tremendous resource, even for experienced magicians who need to brush up on their Sympathetic Silks moves or a good paper fold for a coin vanish. I always thought the Tarbell set provided a tremendous bang for the buck.

If the Tarbells appeal to you, I suggest just getting a volume or two at a time -- you can't possibly absorb seven volumes of material all at once anyway. Purchase the set gradually and study the parts that appeal to you. When you finally have a complete set, you'll own something that will continue to be useful for years to come.

If the Tarbells are too pricey or seem overwhelming for you, you might want to consider Jean Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual." This is a one-volume treatise on many areas of magic, and is almost, but not quite, on a par with the Tarbells. It was originally published in the late 1930's and has been reprinted in softcover by Dover Books as "Hugard's Magic Manual." Same broad scope, good illustrations, and only about $15 with shipping. You can get it from Amazon or the Barnes & Noble website (see http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=4 You can also order it directly from Dover Books at their website. But my first choice would still be the Tarbell Course. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I've been meaning to purchase the set and finally may go ahead and do so.

Anyone know a good place to get the set for cheap? (Ebay? forums here? or just get them new from a magic shop?)
Logic Defied
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Tarbells are widely available, but I'd look before you buy. I believe they were originally printed by Tannen's in the 1940's, and at that time they were issued in a very durable and handsome hardcover set.

It now appears they are being reprinted by the D. Robbins Company, another longstanding magic wholesaler. I have not seen these Robbins reprints and can't say whether they are of the same quality as the Tannen publications. This may be one case where older might be better. I would look around and compare before making a decision. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2004-09-23 02:58, alym wrote:
I've been meaning to purchase the set and finally may go ahead and do so.

Anyone know a good place to get the set for cheap? (Ebay? forums here? or just get them new from a magic shop?)

In my opinion, one would get the original course (published from the 1920s) which is on CD-ROM for a mere $37 for the entire set at http://www.lybrary.com -- this includes an easily searchable HTML version and a PDF version on the same CD. It also includes Tarbell's post-graduate course, which I believe is not in the hardbacks.

The original course (and the CD) is a better learning tool, in that it teaches in a progressive system. The hardbacks are set out in, what I feel, is a haphazard format -- beginning like an encyclopedia, but ending with whatever could be thrown into the last two volumes.

A good history (and description) of the difference between the two versions can be found in Chris's post at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

One more reason why I love the CD-ROM version: SEARCH engine.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
598 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
The TARBELL COURSE IN MAGIC is the closest thing WE Magicians have to a bible.

Ron
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
Quote:
On 2004-04-22 19:28, Magicusa wrote:
I think people under 25 doesn't look at them. It's us (the old guys) that I think only look at them.

I was 21 when I first bought the set. I look at them weekly, the amount of "new" tricks that appear in these are amazing ;-)
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I'm still reading these books, have the entire set, I've a feeling they will be with me for years to some.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
George Bleeks
View Profile
New user
Belfast, Northern Ireland
94 Posts

Profile of George Bleeks
I have tried, as far as posssible, to organise my books in some sort of alphabetical order but these books defy categorisation. I jut keep them in a category on their own. Do yourself a favor and buy them. Ignore, or admire, the quaint language but look at the material. This is really what it's all about.
George Bleeks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » TARBELL COURSE IN MAGIC (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL