The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Interest in magic seems to have vanished? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I have taken a long time out from magic. Before I did that, I noticed a strong decrease in the number of customers, and now that I have started to advertise again, the customers seems to have vanished totally. I have a question primarily for swedish magicians, but others might reply as well.

Have you noticed a decrease in jobs too? In that case, do you have any theories about what is the cause?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4681 Posts

Profile of RNK
Here in the States I have found an increase in the interest of magic and gigs.
jdstewart
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of jdstewart
I would agree I think there is an increasing interest in magic. What are you doing to find jobs?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4681 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
I would agree I think there is an increasing interest in magic. What are you doing to find jobs?

For years now I have a web domain and name purchased and still to this day have not had it up and running. All I have to do is send my media files to him but I just don't have the time. I probably could force myself and make the time but at this point there is no need. I have been very fortunate with getting jobs by word of mouth and being referred. Also, I was picking up my one son from school around the X-Mas holiday and told the secretary (who knows me because I pick up my one son a lot there) "since it is close to the holidays, I have something fun to show you". Well after showing her a trick, the other lady in the room happened to be the head of the PTO who hires for the school assemblies. Well, she asked for a card, then boom before I knew it I had two days of school shows to do. Crazy, but you never know who is watching when you pull out something fun to show someone. I have booked a lot of shows when I just pulled out "something fun" to show a stranger.

Also, being at the right place (gig) at the right time is how I got the Local Cruise ship touring gigs for two years. The owners of the Fleet happened to be at the gig I was performing at, so I got lucky there.

At this point, I stay busy enough with the performing without the website so I guess that is why I have not went gung-ho on getting it done. Hopefully someday I will, LOL!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2662 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sometimes we must create the demand. Rarely does it just happen.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Agreed. When any wife and I relocated to a new city, we spent several weeks driving to, and introducing ourselves to every daycare, library and elementary school in the vicinity. We also put up flyers for birthday shows in coffee shops, gyms, toy and novelty stores, etc. And as RNK indicated, doing spontaneous tricks (even in a restaurant while having lunch) can sometimes lead to a booking.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Arthur,
Did you pay to put up a flyer in Coffee Shop windows or just do some Magic for them. I'm assuming you did buy a cup of coffee.

Thank you Arthur.

-Mary Mowder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You should go to the "Tricky Business" forum to get help with marketing. They will give you ideas to help increase your business.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
Arthur,
Did you pay to put up a flyer in Coffee Shop windows or just do some Magic for them. I'm assuming you did buy a cup of coffee.

Thank you Arthur.

-Mary Mowder.

Hi Mary,

We’ve never paid to put up promo material. On our travels, after a show or in-between shows, we would stop somewhere for lunch or a coffee. If the establishment had a notice board or posters in their window, we would ask to put up our own flyer, or at the very least, our business cards. People usually said yes.

We’ve also just walked into a coffee shop, candy store, gym, card store or bakery (without buying anything), and simply asked if they’d let us display our info. Most people were OK with it.

On rare occasions, we’ve had to barter (if the reward for us was big enough) by offering something free for the proprietor’s kid, or doing something to benefit the shop. For example, a party supply store agreed to put our promo stuff right on their counter-top next to the cash register, in exchange for us putting a little blurb about them on our promo material.

Arthur
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Arthur,

A couple of questions. . .

How much success did you have in getting bookings from these types of things, and how were you able to track bookings back to these establishments?

Also, I've always been a little torn about doing stuff like this and as I say that, I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong in doing this.

Let me explain.

When I first started out, my employer had a big bulletin in the hallway and I put my card on there. I did get some bookings from this, but this was in the days before Parenting magazines and the Internet came into existence.

Since that time, I have always shied away from doing this type of things mainly because I didn't want to be seen as a beginner.

I have also thought, rightly or wrongly, that if put up a notice up at a grocery chain bulletin board that potential clients will never pay me $300-$400 for a show.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2018, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Arthur,

I have always shied away from doing this type of things mainly because I didn't want to be seen as a beginner.

I have also thought, rightly or wrongly, that if put up a notice up at a grocery chain bulletin board that potential clients will never pay me $300-$400 for a show.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerry

This an easy hurdle to overcome, just start out in your copy by saying.

With over 10 years of experience as an entertainer
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Hi Gerry,

I wouldn’t bother with a grocery store. Besides, they probably won’t let you put up your flyers.

My advice is to tap stores like the ones I mentioned above, and gyms (where moms go), in WEALTHY areas where you know the prospects will have money to spend for their children’s birthday parties.

That said, putting up flyers can never compare to plain old word of mouth advertising. That is how we got most of our gigs.

About tracking: whenever people call or email about our services, one of the first things we ask is where they heard about us.

One more thing: Your ad has to be appealing. Leslie and I both have extensive backgrounds in advertising, so we know a thing or two about writing clever copy and designing eye-catching material.

Hope this helps!

Arthur
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Thanks!

Gerry
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 16, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
What are you doing to find jobs?

The same as when I got jobs.

Sorry to see no Swedish magicians have replied...
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

I've talked to another Swedish magician now, and he confirms my observation with the words "This year it has been EXTREMELY tough...". Someone else had told him they have observed this happens to the entertainment business every year there is an election in Sweden (which it is this year...), but I must say I don't understand the workings here. Why would waiting for an election make people less prone to hire entertainers?
jdstewart
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of jdstewart
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls. You can spend a lot of money on marketing. But actually talking to people makes the sale. Never give up control of the sales process to a website, flier, to any other inanimate (or animate) object. They only support your sales process.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
" ... actually talking to people makes the sale."

This is very true. Earlier on in this thread I posted: "When any wife and I relocated to a new city, we spent several weeks driving to, and introducing ourselves to every daycare, library and elementary school in the vicinity."

You can do the same whenever you have a show somewhere. Afterwards, go and visit other nearby prospects and introduce yourself.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9638 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls. You can spend a lot of money on marketing. But actually talking to people makes the sale. Never give up control of the sales process to a website, flier, to any other inanimate (or animate) object. They only support your sales process.

Some of the best advice I've heard here in a very long time. Get away from the digital and tech world and it's lure of ease and simplicity and get back to personality, relationships and actually taking control and conducting business yourself. The tech and digital can be great enhancements, but nothing replaces actual hands-on work.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

Some of the best advice I've heard here in a very long time. Get away from the digital and tech world and it's lure of ease and simplicity and get back to personality, relationships and actually taking control and conducting business yourself. The tech and digital can be great enhancements, but nothing replaces actual hands-on work.

Hallelujah!!! I AGREE 500%
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls.

I do not work for companies but families so there is no one to call.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Interest in magic seems to have vanished? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (34 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL