The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Interest in magic seems to have vanished? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Sounds like it’s time for you to pull up your socks and take action, Mikael!

You can call libraries, bookstores, guilds, churches, museums, associations, daycares … any venues that host family events or children’s parties, and make appointments to see them, so you can interest them in your services.

The jobs won’t come running to you without any effort on your part.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right! This is show BUSINESS! You need to go out and SELL your services!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2018, jdstewart wrote:
I suggest going back to basics. Pick the phone and make calls.

I do not work for companies but families so there is no one to call.

That makes it even easier! Far easy to book families than corporations, many more opportunities and easier to position yourself apart from the others. So many opportunities.

Also there are many more options other than just corporations and families.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Perhaps the entertainment business is not for you. It sounds like to me that you have no idea how to market yourself. Marketing is extremely important, and takes a lot of work. If you work for just families, then you obviously have to figure out a strategy to reach those families, and sell them on the idea of hiring you. If you are just going to focus on reaching families, you have to be aware that you are obviously limiting yourself from potentially getting more gigs by not reaching out to community centers, schools, libraries, businesses, etc.

Quote:
Quote:

Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
Sounds like it’s time for you to pull up your socks and take action, Mikael!

You can call libraries, bookstores, guilds, churches, museums, associations, daycares … any venues that host family events or children’s parties, and make appointments to see them, so you can interest them in your services.

The jobs won’t come running to you without any effort on your part.

Thank you, but this thread is about why the interest in magic has diminished. Maybe it has not in the US, but here it has.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 4, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

That makes it even easier! Far easy to book families than corporations, many more opportunities and easier to position yourself apart from the others. So many opportunities.

Also there are many more options other than just corporations and families.

I only do private parties. I am not interested in anything else.

So, how do you suggest I book families without the opportunity to call them other than placing an ad?
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 5, 2018, Danny Kazam wrote:
It sounds like to me that you have no idea how to market yourself

It seems like no one knows. I have never got an advice that works.

But again, this thread is not about marketing, it's about why I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
:
Quote:

Quote:
On Apr 8, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote

But again, this thread is not about marketing, it's about why I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way.

You hit the nail on the head, the internet has changed everything about selliing yourself, it’s impossible for a person that lives in the USA to advise a person in Sweden on what works In marketing yourself

If you are saying that it’s not marketing, I wonder if you are performing the same show in 2018 that you performed in 2010,
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Quote:

I know a few Swedish magicians who would disagree with magic interest diminishing in Sweden. Perhaps they might come on here and make a statement. However, they don't come to the Café' as much as they once did.

I know it maybe a hard pill to swallow, but maybe it's something you are doing, or not doing.

Times are much different than they were in 2010. Marketing strategies change over time. A great marketing plan is key. Work just doesn't fall out of the sky. You have to figure out how to reach those you wish to perform for and convince them why they should hire you without sounding desperate. Describe to them how you can make their event better.

However, since you are only interested in a very small part of the over-all potential of clients, you might have to except that you won't get much gigs. Private parties are only a small fraction of all the types of business a performer can get gigs at.

How badly do you want to perform? How hard are you willing to work at it? There is a saying that you only get back what you are willing to put into it. If you are convinced that people in Sweden have lost interest in magic shows, then you can either be creative and come up with a way to bring back that interest, or move on to something else.

Perhaps you might start by creating a survey/questionnaire, and going out in public places where families might be hanging around to get an idea of what they are thinking. Suggested questions could be; Would you ever hire a magician for your family event? If no, why not? What would you expect from a magician at your event? What do you think is the value of having a magician at your family event? Whatever questions you come up with should give you a better understanding of how to advertise to them. Do a few free shows if you have to in exchange for publicity through word of mouth, and testimonials. Get people talking about you. Hang out in malls handing out business cards while getting their attention with some magic tricks.

I'm just throwing out idea's to hopefully get you thinking of your own idea's. Heck, I wouldn't even have a problem going around the neighborhood knocking on doors, introducing myself, perform a free tricks, tell them about what I do, what service I provide, how I can make their next family event extra special, etc if I had to.

If the entire country of Sweden has indeed lost interest in magic (tough to believe) the only people that can actually answer why are the citizens of Sweden. They will be able to give you the best answer.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Whew Danny, that’s a lot to say.... my opinion is Mikael has lost his passion as a magician

I was a photographer, I lost the passion to ba a photographer, so I moved on and became a passionate magician; now I work every weekend and perform corporate shows during the week... l love what I do Smile
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2018, Howie Diddot wrote:
Whew Danny, that’s a lot to say....

lol. Yes, true I guess. Hopefully I was able to give even just a little bit of good advice though. Smile
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Hmmmm......

I've noticed no lagging interest in mab=gic & gigs here in the states, and my friends across the pond say the UK KidBiz is still smashing. Like you suggested in your opening post---there may be something else at work here. What's going on in Sweden? Is there a crimewave or a downturn in the economy?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2018, The Mighty Fool wrote:
Hmmmm......

What's going on in Sweden? Is there a crimewave or a downturn in the economy?

Over the past 12 months, President Trump has made controversial remarks about a number of European countries, including Sweden. The comments may long have been supplanted by other news in the United States, but they are still very much on the minds of many Europeans.

In one of the most widely covered comments that baffled Europe, Trump caused confusion at a rally in February when he asked his supporters to “look at what’s happening in Sweden”. Smile
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Mikael, you’ve just identified your own problem! When I suggested other places to look for work, you said: “I only do private parties. I am not interested in anything else.”

And when Danny wrote that you seem to have no idea how to market yourself, you said: “I get zero calls 2018, while I got many calls 2010 although I market myself in EXACTLY the same way.”

Think about it ….
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
One more thing: Here in the USA, the most successful entertainers spend a lot of money on marketing courses. I personally have spent thousands of dollars. Some of the materials were a waste of money, but others had valuable tips and techniques that really worked, and helped to spotlight my profile and increase my bookings (and subsequently, my income).
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

I think I have identified the solution to the mystery.

There are a number of other things that people do 2018 at a child's birthday party, that they didn't do in 2010. Those other things have exploded here in my town, and it's precisely my customer group that do them, so there's simply a whole lot more competition about the customers. Naturally you didn't know that. How could you, since I didn't underwstand it myself, and I live here...

So, the mystery is solved at last.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2018, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
I think I have identified the solution to the mystery.

There are a number of other things that people do 2018 at a child's birthday party, that they didn't do in 2010. Those other things have exploded here in my town, and it's precisely my customer group that do them, so there's simply a whole lot more competition about the customers. Naturally you didn't know that. How could you, since I didn't underwstand it myself, and I live here...

So, the mystery is solved at last.

I perform in the Bay Area of California, the number one destination in the USA for tourism; a location with so many other venues that a birthd party can be held; and well over one thousand children’s magicians, clowns, princess party story tellers, puppeteers and traveling animal petting zoos. A few magicians in my area perform for as low as $100.00 per show

I perform between two and four shows every weekend and I don’t mind or even feel the competition, I even share routines with my magician friends at a SAM and IBM meeting so we can alll be successful and prosper.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I think most of us are aware of competition, and it exists for most of us, if not all of us. As Howie Diddot pointed out. There are clowns, princess party, puppeteers, mobile petting zoo's, reptile shows, super hero characters, bouncy tents, Chuck E Cheese, etc. I believe competition is a great thing. It can keep us from becoming stagnant, and can weed out those who are not willing to put in the work to stay relevant.

As some of us have said before, having a great marketing strategy is key.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2018, Danny Kazam wrote:
I think most of us are aware of competition, and it exists for most of us, if not all of us. As Howie Diddot pointed out. There are clowns, princess party, puppeteers, mobile petting zoo's, reptile shows, super hero characters, bouncy tents, Chuck E Cheese, etc. I believe competition is a great thing. It can keep us from becoming stagnant, and can weed out those who are not willing to put in the work to stay relevant.

As some of us have said before, having a great marketing strategy is key.

Danny is correct, “I believe competition is a great thing. It can keep us from becoming stagnant, and can weed out those who are not willing to put in the work to stay relevant”.

Mikael, you posted that you are doing the exact same thing in 2018 that you did in 2010, how many tricks from your 2010 show are still in your 2018 show?

The fact is this, and can’t be disputed, you have not posted one thing about your show

Having tricks that look interesting and entertaining, with a show to perform that the children will greatly enjoy and receiving great feedback on a website is the key to success,

A great marketing strategy with a crappy show with shabby old and well used tricks and less then positive feedback will result in zero phone calls in 2018
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Well, now you know what to do, Mikael. Offer something even more exiting than your competitors, and make sure your potential clients know about it!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Interest in magic seems to have vanished? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL