The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » BOR Sales (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes, magic souvenir type items sell well too.

Tom
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
“That aside not many rock bands sell guitars at shows.“

They do sell guitar picks and drum sticks though. Obviously branded. I’d compare that more to branded playing cards than tricks but still an interesting comparison.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea no. Monkeys eat banannas and magic fans really just buy tricks for lots of other reasons. It is a horrible comparison.

That aside not many rock bands sell guitars at shows.

If you can't identify WHY people buy you will never sell much.

As for having talent, great. Not many buy because you have talent. That was why they came to the show, not why they buy a T-Shirt.

And can we please avoid hearing what you did 50 years ago in fantasy land just for one thread?

Back of room sales to adults is not an easy nut to crack. Not many who come to magic shows want to learn magic. Most sets are for their kids or grandchildren.

Exactly on each count you mentioned. Again, some magician's thinking, or more specifically kids magician thinking going on here. No not everyone is interested or amazed by magic or tricks, and no not everyone wants to buy something magic. And no most magicians are not celebrities to their audience - again the way many magicians think and it's delusional. Yeah, the 50-year-old fantasy stuff is getting old in every thread and it is almost always unrelatable or inapplicable.

Again, there is a psychology and science to BOR sales, which many miss or completely disregard.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Yes, magic souvenir type items sell well too.

Tom

Oh lord.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, thomasR wrote:

They do sell guitar picks and drum sticks though. Obviously branded. I’d compare that more to branded playing cards than tricks but still an interesting comparison.

My point is they do bit sell them with any other intentthen them being a souvenir. Not many drum or guitar instruction manuals are sold.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, thomasR wrote:

My point is they do bit sell them with any other intentthen them being a souvenir. Not many drum or guitar instruction manuals are sold.

Totally agree. That's why I compared them to the custom decks of playing cards.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Quote:
Items that sell best somehow have a tie in to the show so they remember the experience. The Lady Houdini stuff sells because of the CONNECTION with the audience. Also it looks cool. It has nothing to do with even liking magic. The connection is with her. (And Kevin. Sorry big guy. Didn't mean to leave you out!)

LOL, no worries. I know and accept who the star of the show is 😄

And very well stated too. Kristen does indeed make a great connection...with pretty much everyone. Obviously the girls love her for what she does and has accomplished in what is normally a male dominated profession. The guys are blown away with her arms and strength as she routinely does more pull ups in the show than they can do themselves. The amount of people that want a ‘gun shot’ photo with her is pretty wild. All this helps create a connection and drives the merch sales.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So not at all like monkeys and bananas. Nothing to do with them liking magic even. It is the personal connection that people have and want a way to keep.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
So not at all like monkeys and bananas. Nothing to do with them liking magic even. It is the personal connection that people have and want a way to keep.

Danny,

I see you’re still confused with the moneys and bananas ‘association’ - which is not a comparison, as you called it early. Monkeys LIKE (as in enjoy) Bananas,
and you can rest assured that if the audience doesn’t ENJOY (as in like) you (and your performance) they want purchase whatever you offer.

Connection: To Link, to Like, to Enjoy

Hope that's clear.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Could you write that ridiculous explanation in English? Or better yet don't. Wild monkeys don't even easy bananas so stop. They nerve encounter them and do not associate them with food even.

You have no clue what you're talking about AGAIN go figure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Could you write that ridiculous explanation in English? Or better yet don't. Wild monkeys don't even easy bananas so stop. They nerve encounter them and do not associate them with food even.

You have no clue what you're talking about AGAIN go figure.

EASY bananas? They NERVE encounter? You call that english. LOL

Ok let me use something that you might figure out one day.

If I came to YOUR show, enjoyed the performance, thought to myself you had talent, and you were offering the world’s greatest deal on one of your products,
one that I even needed and could use. Do you understand why I would still NOT buy it?

Think hard, I give you a few weeks before I explain it.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Talent has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

Tom stop. Please stop. Grown ups are talking.

If you do not connect with an audience they will buy nothing. It is that simple.

It is why pitch men to SO well. The CONNECT with the marks. Stop please. We have the answer. It is not monkeys and bananas. Stop. Please for the love of all that is good just stop. Stop your back handed insults, just stop.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Talent has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

That’s possible, but if they don’t like what you’re doing it's highly unlikey they would want a photo, shirt, or something to remind you of them.

But yes I suppose a bad singer could sell a book if he titled it ‘How To Sing Better Than I Do” Smile

Even a con artist needs ‘talent’ to fake that they are someone easily liked.

The genuine likable person doesn’t have to fake it, they are easily spotted on stage. And while it’s not faked it did take a lot of practice to get that way.
It’s a special talent than many don’t have.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom please just quit.

Do you think you are actually informing anyone of anything? My lord do you have the ability to stop? I'm going to have to guess you don't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, it’s like you keep telling me, misinformation posted on here will cost people money and ruin their lives.

Telling people ‘talent has nothing to do with it’ is bad, bad, bad. I just wanted to correct your mistake.

But now that we know talent is important, we both can stop. Can’t we?

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Tom, please contact the management and ask if you can have your own forum for all of this incessant blathering so discussions here can stay on topic, remain positive and productive, among those actually working in the business, dealing with facts, information, and experience, rather than your out of context, manufactured, imagined, pretend or imaginary perceptions and opinions.

You talk so much yet say nothing here on any of these topics. No substance, no facts, no experience, or anything from the position of being in the business of performing or entertainment. Even when specifically asked for you not to contribute you still do.

Now it's to the point of this happening on EVERY SINGLE THREAD here, just for your need to be heard, whether on-topic, having any reference or relevance or not. Please, for the sake of everyone, either stop or ask for your own forum "Tom's Ramblings". We beg of you.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would be in full support of a Tom forum.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Mindpro, the management would like to see all the back and forth stop. That can easily happen by you and Danny not responding to any of my posts in an insulting way and I would only have to post once on a thread. If you don’t like what I say, simply say I disagree and move on. I don’t like half the bragging you do on here, but I don’t constantly point out your hatred towards other magicians.

Like I’ve said, I’m not going to take all the insults and allow you and Danny to constantly preach how inexperience I am and make up outright lies about me.

We all can get banned together or we can simply agree to stop the back and forth now.

I say we move on and start new. ?

Tom
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Very few create or design products specifically for their targeted audience (as K&K have done as well). T-shirts, hats, books, and show DVDs have always been good sellers for me.

Something that I think makes all the difference... the Lady Houdini shirts have graphics designed for a t-shirt. It's not just going to "printmytshirt.com" and dropping in your name in some fancy font that you picked out.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Very few create or design products specifically for their targeted audience (as K&K have done as well). T-shirts, hats, books, and show DVDs have always been good sellers for me.

Something that I think makes all the difference... the Lady Houdini shirts have graphics designed for a t-shirt. It's not just going to "printmytshirt.com" and dropping in your name in some fancy font that you picked out.

ABSOLUTELY. Again nothing to do with monkeys and bananas. Make the connection with them, then give them something that is great looking that they are proud to wear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » BOR Sales (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL