We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Derren Brown Channel 4, 22:10 2night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I didn't really notice the camera, to be honest.

Apologies for mis-interprting others posts though.

As an aside, I thought the 'shakey-cam' production was used to give that 'street' feel to the show, to try and make it more credible to the yoof market.

Just a thought.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 06:35, Withnail wrote:
I didn't really notice the camera, to be honest.

Apologies for mis-interprting others posts though.

As an aside, I thought the 'shakey-cam' production was used to give that 'street' feel to the show, to try and make it more credible to the yoof market.

Just a thought.

Yep, you're probably right. I'm not averse to that kind of thing, I just found it rather off-putting on this show.

Some of the items on his original Mind Control series had the street feel, but it didn't become annoying like it did in this first show.

It couold also have been the bad editing that made it seem worse.

Well, my brother recorded it on DVD for me, so I might pop over later, pick it up and have another look.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Maybe expectations were too high?

It is a 6 part series and this seems like a gentle 'toe in the water' approach to gather in new people rather than to cater for existing fans.

Hopefully it will gather strength as it progresses and draw us back into what we saw in the last series...

It was just great to see something on TV that is watchable, some of the recent shows have been very 'street' and this seems to be somewhere in the middle..
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I was just watching 'smoke' again and I saw when he sspread the deck and showed the king of hearts, it was holding SWORD! ONLY THE BLAKC KINGS HOLD SWORDS! somethings going on there....surely you would ahve thought he'd at leats got that right?
-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
Actually, having watched this show again, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Maybe my expectations were too high Smile

The only gripe I still have is production values. In the 10p to be a mindreader stunt the camera shake was annoying and in "smoke" the camera angle was all wrong and showed Derren making the move. Apart from that I didn't think it was as bad as I first thought.

Funny how you create initial impressions.

Still think the editor wants firing though LOL
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of Winnes
It just seemed a wee bit too cheesy for my liking.. and especially after seeing him live I was expecting a bit more. But, the effects were still great - his presentation of 'Smoke' is excellent (even though I was really surprised to see him do it), and his "10p to be a mindreader" was very impressive. As was the finger game. In fact, all of it was very good, with the exception of the rather dubious chess games. I hope we get to see the "darker" side of Derren as shown on his tour... don't think he could keep the umbrella though.
sir_hugo
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of sir_hugo
King of hearts has a sword behind his head in a bicycle poker deck.
Mahood
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mahood
...not BEHIND his head...going through his head! Smile
Anyway, On the Devils Picturebook, Derren was using the original Mind power deck which isn't made in bicycle, and he's probably still using it...maybe this could account for subtle differences in the designs- even still, it sounds like minor nit-picking to me...revel in the beauty of the effect- if you actually want to start performing it, buy the aforementioned video.

Personally, I agree with Colin in that it's a bit sad to be trying to figure out all of these effects in a public forum... even if this was a restricted forum, it's still more or less wasting time and energy working out all kinds of solutions to his effects, unless you want to perform them and be known as "that cr*p version of derren brown".

It's quite ironic that magicians and mentalists on a whole don't like the "how does that work" type reaction to our performances, yet that's the reaction some people are giving now.

Now I'm beginning to sound like a whinge! forgive me please!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Hey, I remind you that it was on channel 4. And as such, you did NOT pay for it.
Now for a free show, I thought it was darn good.

The dude in the phone box was an example of hypnosis over a phone line on a stranger.
They must have tried it on a few people till they had one respond.

The chess dudes were distracted from the fact this is a known fact the same way as the taxi driver could not see the MWheel.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
I don't think any layperson would have noticed anything remotely suspicious in the presentation of Smoke. Also with the high occurance of the king of diamonds in the effect, it's a stronger candidate to be chosen - one of the reasons why he checks for it early on in the sequence. Luck but with the balance tipped in his favour.

I totally agree that it maybe nitpicking over something good and free, though people always seem to notice odd details that we can miss ourselves and have high expectations.
Any nitpicking and how we would like to have had the new series, seem to come from a general position of high regard and really is a backhanded compliment to the man and the shows.

That bit with the phonebooth was meant to be like instant hypnosis over the phone? Hardly.
Hmmm I think its left to our own interpretation, I'll have to watch it again. More likely a post-hypnotic suggestion in mock-svengali style (or a simpler idea like they just ran over his dog). If so, and not an actor (there's no editing either of course, just like the opening dialogue) it would have been more interesting to see some more of the setup.

Nick.
MagicSquare
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
60 Posts

Profile of MagicSquare
I've noticed that quite a few people seem to be unclear even as to the *intention* behind the phone box effect (I'm including people on other message boards --- e.g. derren's fan forum).

Partizan says:
[
The dude in the phone box was an example of hypnosis over a phone line on a stranger.
]

Well, I think that's certainly what it's supposed to *look* like. Smile

I'm pretty sure we're meant to think that Derren was on the other end of the phone, and has said the magic words to make him collapse.

Incidentally, I enjoyed that segment too, but mainly because of the atmosphere and the use of music etc. It comes across as being quite an odd "happening", with an eerie and dreamy quality to it. I also think the lack of any up-front explanation helps to sell it in those terms.

It reminds me of the tone from the other recent Objective Productions magic show --- whose name, sadly, I cannot recall --- but it was a sort of "Dark Magic" themed thing, with two young performers. (Somewhat influenced by non-magical stuff like Chris Morris' surreal "Jam" series, I think.)
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
So where next for Mr Brown?

I gather most people think a third series will become a little tired and long in the tooth, so whats in the offing for 2005/6?

Chat shows?

I recon it'll be a return to the more old-school style, with more magic than mentalism, but filmed in a studio in front of an audience and with special guests.

Sort of like Paul Daniels for the 21st Century.

How's that for a prediction?
Smile
bootweasel
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of bootweasel
I think he may move towards the stunt production. For all the negative press Russian Roulette got, I bet the viewing figures were very impressive.

The idea of specials rather than an entire series is unappealing to us, but the sheer quantity of different effects needed to fill a series isn't infinitely sustainable at such high quality.
Philip Baker
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
1 Post

Profile of Philip Baker
Quote:
On 2004-04-25 17:11, Stephen Long wrote:

(What must Derren be saying to that lady when he 'teaches' her how to read minds...?)

Stephen, he's saying, "remember what we did earlier? Well, now's the time to do it again. We'll edit the film later to make it look really impressive."
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Did anyone else notice that this first episode was mostly to do with memory.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
No, on Derren's show, when he puts the king of diamonds down in front of the dekc, you see the king of hearts behind it but it has a sword down by its side liek the black kings do.
anyoen know why?
-Niko
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Does anyone actually care about this "sword" problem? Whats the point? The trick worked,regardless of wether the queen of hearts had a beard or the king of clubs wearing a dress!
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the rest, the voodoo doll clip looked good for the next ep.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1647 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2004-04-25 08:47, MagicSquare wrote:
Certainly, I was surprised that DB seemed to get away with this effect on a group of strong chess players. I would have assumed that the method would be well known to them as part of "chess lore".

Quite. I've known about that method for decades. So I'm really not sure whether or not they were just humouring him.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
It's possible I guess.

But maybe it was down to personality and presentation.

You "KNOW" DB has powers of mindcontrol, so once he suggests that he has been studieing chess and he will beat you - the battle's halfway won.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Derren Brown Channel 4, 22:10 2night (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL