The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Does not using your local currency raise suspisions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
I know this is probably an old question but do people prefer using their local currency for tricks or do you use pretty coins and have a reason to justify?..i perform in England and prefer to use local coins as it seems more natural. What is your preferences and why please?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
No Use the Grandfather story. I got these old Coins From my Grandfather! Them have been in my Family For generations ! I use Barber half's And have for over 30 years! And people want to look at them because They are old coins Not because They mite be gaffed!!! As you are in England you mite say " I have a friend in the U.S. Who collects Old Coins! he sent me these the outer Day!

If You don't think anything is wrong They Will not!!!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Use the coins that help you achieve the effect you want. If that is local currency or foreign. They may be old or new. I don't ever act like the coins are a big deal. I mean it is a solid metal piece. I normally just explain what they are half dollar, english penny, or what have you. People don't really ask me too much about the coins. If you act like they are normal then others will accept them as well.

Just like why on Earth would I use silks to do magic effects when they aren't really common, but kids and adults love them. An item doesn't have to be common to make an impact.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I like to find as much trivia on the Coins that I want to perform with. I love my Morgans, but lately I have been using Ikes because I could easily tie my stories from being a kid in the 60's and that Ike's Profile looks like me, NOW THAT I'M BALD. Posing with the coin next to me gets a laugh every time! Google about your local and foreign coins and you will be surprised what can peak your interest!

People love coins, especially ODD coins...You can play that difference! Let them touch them, then blow there minds!

Lead lines I've used:

"These Coins are from ALL AROUND the World!...The American, Europe, and Far East!...(Copper Silver Brass)"
"Here are Silver Dollars from around when HOUDINI was Born!...(1880-ish Morgan Dollars)"
"These Half Dollars are from WWII!..." (Walking Liberty Halves)
"I also COLLECT COINS...have you ever seen these?"...(Any non-common coins)
"These are the LAST Half Dollars MINTED IN REAL SILVER!"...(1964 Kennedys)
"These Dollar Coins were to commemorate THE FIRST MOON LANDING!"...(Ike Coins)
"These Coins were NEW 100 YEARS AGO! If you think about it, They are TIME TRAVELERS!"...(Coins Across routine)

I never shy away using ODD coins, I play up it's STRENGTHS!
Enjoy!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I would think just using "local currency", In the U.S. at least, would limit us to quarters as the largest coin and paper money effects. We have not really carried "half dollar coins" for many years. Although the Kennedy Half is still in circulation,it is rare to get one as change unless you go to a bank and ask if they have any. I have never had an issue using any other coins (real or fake), people like "shiny" and or "different" things.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Thanks all.. I would tend to agree that with a good back story you can justify most things.. Does it not depend on the effect though?.. For example coin in bottle is probably best with a local borrowed coin but what about 3fly..is it stronger with familiar or borrowed coins..?
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Would the same logic hold for something like a ring?..
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
I'm a UK based magician and have used UK coins and US Coins - the reactions are exactly the same!!! My own personal preference now are walking liberty half dollars - Not only are they beautiful coins, they are also bigger than our £2 coins and more visible for the spectator as they are lovely and shiny. I also use Eisenhower Dollar coins occasionally too.

As a full-time working pro, if the reactions using UK coins was better (equating to potentially more bookings) then I would change....

However, I don't perform coin in bottle or other routines where borrowed coins are used - here then clearly using UK coins would make sense! So I guess it depends what routines you perform. For me it's predominantly coins across, wild coin, coin flurry, jumbo production and 3 fly - none of which I use UK coins.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Thanks simplymagicweb for your real world experiences. Very much appreciated. As a part timer I agree that a booking is not affected by the props you use.. Its you they want.. Do you use a motivation for using those 'special' coins though or does it really not matter?
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Hi metalspoon - nope I don’t use any explanation about the coins. They are just.... Coins!

More important is the quality of your routine not the coins you use IMO.
Magically,

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
True.. About quality of routine that matters.. .. But do they go away thinking they were strange coins or does it not really matter?.i had feedback once that the coins I used were unusual and probably magic ones?.... I still got asked back the following year though..
ma91cm1ke
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of ma91cm1ke
This 'issue' comes up time and time again and I really can't understand why.
Magicians don't think twice about pulling out a deck of cards with some strange, ornate back design or a metal cup that looks nothing like any cup I've ever seen then introducing some strange looking little balls wearing knitted sweaters. After this out come the sponge balls, another completely normal everyday item!
What's next? Perhaps a paddle trick, what the hell is that all about.
These are all classics yet no one justifies these props so why do you feel the need to justify the coins you are using. I use lots of different coins from around the world and my go to coins are half dollars because they are large, shiny and very pretty, its as simple as that.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

I guess the same discussion could also therefore be made if using US Bicycle Cards rather than Waddingtons in the UK?
Magically,

David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
LOOK !!! I have used odd Coins For over 40 Years!!! If you don't think there Odd Nobody Will!

And In stuff Like Wild coin ! And International Stuff I have Used stuff A lit more Odd then just Barbar Halfs !
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Thanks guys.. I don't think the type of coins or cards used bother most people as long as your are entertaining and there are no pauses for them to query too much.. For the suspicious ones a little back story can justify the use of something a bit different.. And those that know (cos of YouTube and google) will sometimes recognise the fact that we use these coins cos they are tricky?.. I perform a lot for my students and some of this YouTube generation of millenials are quite wise to gimmicks.. I once did the same trick with a 'normal' £2 coin after using a half dollar (same gimmick) and it fooled them.. They knew you could buy gimmicked American coins but not British versions. (they had looked up magic tricks and had asked me if I knew penguin magic to which I said pros don't need to use websites like that).. Do you guys come across people who have seen magic dealer websites and recognise some of your q effects?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I use English Pennies and Chinese coins here in the USA because I Like color change effects. No problems or questions.

I have referred to the "special magic" of coins of all nations -- that they have a value unrelated to the metal contained. It is a concept - an illusion.

You can also say, "Here is an American half dollar worth about twelve cents and an English Penny worth three dollars, and Chinese coin worth -- hmmm,'what is this hole for?"

Coins (and money) has a special appeal as a prop. I have a Roman coin that everyone wants to hold. Of that magic can be made.

If you view your task as a performer is to create the conditions under which magic can happen, the a boring local coin looses vs an intriguing foreign one.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
79 Posts

Profile of EasyK
I only have US and Euro coins and I've made it work. But sometimes I would prefer to have some in my own currency. Then I could borrow the coin and do a routine from there.
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Would a 3fly or coins across be more magical if the coins where borrowed?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, mentalspoon wrote:
Would a 3fly or coins across be more magical if the coins where borrowed?

For many years I have had a basket of mixed coins available to be passed out to the audience to handle and explore.

Later on I have them hand me some and I perform with them. I refer to them as "your coins" and they often speak of "my coin."

Sometime I direct the selections such as "I need a white one, a brown one and one with hole all the same size,"

Other times I just perform with what I get, though I might say, "Is there another one like this?"

I have never noticed any real preference for local vs foreign coins, but Chinese now have the nod because of some beautiful ones now available.

Yes, I have a dozen ways of switching in/out gaffs Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mentalspoon
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mentalspoon
Hi funsway.. That is great idea to have a bunch of coins to look at and chose from. May not work for everyone. I like the fact it can involve everyone and can create a talking point.. I hope you don't mind but I may borrow this approach as it would fit my style.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Does not using your local currency raise suspisions (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL