The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit by Dead Art Inc. - Review (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
351 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Hey there,

this is my review for "Spirit" by Dead Art Inc., sold by Lebanon Circle. You can find the link to the original product at the bottom of this post.

On paper, this coin seemed like a perfect fit for a routine I had been doing with a standard coin for several years. Unfortunately, the actual product does not deliver at all. At best it's very, very sloppy craftsmanship. What was advertised as "individually crafted and detailed by hand to produce a perfectly aged artifact of heirloom quality" in reality looks more like it was painted by children's hands. I have attached photos of both sides and you'll see what I mean. The actual coin misses all the details and finesse seen in the advertisement photos that had drawn me to it originally.
The "YES" is not clear at all, the skeleton seems to be missing it's 'tail' (what happened? did that part break off? It seems like part of the metal is missing and it was just painted over, so maybe something went wrong while producing the coin?), the "NO" side has a golden-ish smudge at the top, the edge is basically brushed over with black. I can only assume that in this case "aged" was taken to mean "sprayed a base of silver and then painted some matte black on". Makes the proud Certificate of Authenticity seem slightly ironic. Very disappointing, especially at 80pounds.
Maybe not all hope is lost: I might try to get the paint off the coin and then re-do and age it myself, possibly trying to corrode it a bit - the size and weight of the coin are quite nice. It's bigger than expected, but I quite like that actually. If anyone here has any experience with that, I'd appreciate a PM Smile

All the above being said, I did enjoy the concept and ideas from the PDF that came with it. The PDF is 50 pages, but 50 pages at approx. 170word count, which brings it closer to about 17 standardised pages - but I know with writing it's really about quality instead of quantity, and the quality honestly is there. I like the ideas and the writing style is certainly readable. This makes the quality of the product itself even more of a bummer, as I was looking forward to performing with it immensely while reading through the instructions.

You can see photos of the coin I received here:
https://imgur.com/VUPX7CJ - NO side
https://imgur.com/t4icJr0 - YES side

And here is the original product link with photos:
https://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/collecti......s/spirit

Just to be clear, the package itself was sent by Cody Stoltz from Dead Arts Inc., who presumably also produced the coin. Even though the purchase went through Lebanon Circle, I assume they're not to blame for anything. I have heard nothing but good things about their own products so far.

So, there it is. I really wanted to like this product but was disappointed. I'd love to hear if you think I'm being too nitpicky here and whether I'm treating the creator unfairly - maybe the sublime quality of products from Outlaw and Prof BC and the like have distorted my view and this is the standard for bizarre props? Then again, it should be assumed that especially with bizarre props the quality is of massive importance. The Certificate of Authenticity says I received number 31, meaning there must be at least 30 more owners of Spirit out there. I'm wondering whether they're satisfied with their product and I received a substandard one (in which case I'd still be wondering why it was sent out anyway)?

All the best,

Timon
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2649 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I always appreciate an honest review.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2440 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Yes, thank you. Especially for the extra pics.

The effects in the ad are quite vague. Can you elaborate any on the uses for this?

s
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Dead on Paper are where these types of coins can be found. I have both types of the Yes and No coins and am REALLY happy with them....

https://deadonpaper.com/collections/coins

Ray
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
351 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2018, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Dead on Paper are where these types of coins can be found. I have both types of the Yes and No coins and am REALLY happy with them....

https://deadonpaper.com/collections/coins

Ray

Thank you Ray! I have one and am very happy with it. What attracted me to Spirit is the gimmicked nature of it. The Dead on Paper coins are wonderful though - I have quite a few of their different coins and recommend them to everyone Smile
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"

www.timonkrause.com
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
351 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Just as an update, Cody himself has reached out to me with a lovely message of apology and offered to resolve the issue. I'll aim to post again once all is resolved, but appreciate the creator getting in touch proactively here!

www.timonkrause.com
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1652 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Great review! Please do keep us informed on the outcome of Cody's gesture to make it right.

All the best,

David
ManxBull
View Profile
New user
Isle of Man
85 Posts

Profile of ManxBull
Glad to hear Cody has been in touch with you. I'm one of the other 30 owners and am very pleased with mine, the gimmick works very well and the people who've seen the coin so far find it very disturbing. Its substantial size and weight add to this impression. Looking at your photographs, it does indeed seem that the skeletal tail part has broken off as this is complete on my copy. I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine when it's resolved.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2105 Posts

Profile of RCP
Not surprised Cody reached out to you to resolve your issue. I am quite happy with mine. To be clear this is not a coin. It's more like a medallion. The routine works quite well with the deadonpaper coin as well with a couple of quick modifications.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I would like to hear how it works on different languages (like Spanish, Italian)
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
351 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2018, Mind_Magic wrote:
I would like to hear how it works on different languages (like Spanish, Italian)

Mind_Magic, this should work in every language I'm aware of. I am fluent in 5 languages and it works in all - but outside of that I also cannot conceive of a reason where this wouldn't work in any language. Smile

www.timonkrause.com
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Thanks TimonK for your feedback.
Now seems that the effect is Out of Stock.
Regards
Merlinsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Daly City, CA
1433 Posts

Profile of Merlinsmagic
All of effects that Cody is producing will be sidelined as a storm hit him & caused problems & temporary downtime while he repairs storm damages to home & shop. Pretty sure once Cody is up & running & fullfilled current orders this & other effect items of Cody's will be back.
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
865 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2018, Merlinsmagic wrote:
All of effects that Cody is producing will be sidelined as a storm hit him & caused problems & temporary downtime while he repairs storm damages to home & shop. Pretty sure once Cody is up & running & fullfilled current orders this & other effect items of Cody's will be back.

See this thread for further info...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spirit by Dead Art Inc. - Review (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL