The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » One Card Poker by Chris Rawlins  (116 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, Dave the Knave wrote:
You're a liar and I'm not.

You mean I'm not really over 117 years old...wow...

Look, I can grab many a book and find card tricks far, far worse than this...if you've really been into magic for 55 years, then you can too...

Why not help out and explain fairly why you don't like this one? Would be useful to some I'm sure...
I've asked to be banned
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Iain, isn't he just being sarcastic?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
In 55 years of being involved with magic, this is the worst card trick I've seen. Bar none. No exaggeration.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you must live in a cave. I've seen far worse card tricks. This is actually pretty good. There's a lot of things I don't like, but if I'm going to take a strong stance on it, you ought to at least state your position why so a more intelligent conversation can be posted.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8258 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
In 55 years of being involved with magic, this is the worst card trick I've seen. Bar none. No exaggeration.

I’ve told you a million times not to exaggerate.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8634 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, Caveman wrote:

That, or yet another troll aimed at mischief, setting fires and watching it burn happily with a bowl of popcorn.

*DONT FEED THE TROLLS!
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
928 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, Caveman wrote:

That, or yet another troll aimed at mischief, setting fires and watching it burn happily with a bowl of popcorn.

*DONT FEED THE TROLLS!

And this troll is one who has enough posts to access the 'Secret sessions' portion of this forum....

By the way, imho, this is a pretty good trick, and I don't regret having purchased it.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Wasn't going to purchase this. Goodness, I have more resources for card and other effects to last 3 lifetimes or more.
I bit the bullet anyway as many can relate to. My verdict: I'm not disappointed. Since I perform mostly in restaurants,
I probably won't perform this routine that often. Table space and time. Interruptions from waitstaff.
It is an entertaining routine and am glad I have it in my arsenal. .( You just can't borrow a deck.)
Teaching is thorough with live performances as was mentioned.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
It's a great routine with a lot of audience participation & a great ending.

However, it didn't fool me but who cares as business dictates that I fool and entertain a lay audience.

Got to agree though that the explanation is FAR too long & frustrating to watch ( as even though I knew what was happening, I still had to watch it to see if there wa anything in it which added to the effect.

A great routine though that I can see me using at the right moment.

Mike Donoghue
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I'm not really into Ace productions, but this is one that I like!

KJ
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I'm downloading it now. Can't wait until it's done.

Allen
matsam
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of matsam
Hard to tell how long the whole thing takes, given the trailer cut; and if there are awkward bouts of equivoque. intrigued, though! Looking forward to hearing more thoughts.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2018, Mb217 wrote:

*DONT FEED THE TROLLS!

Good attitude.
Better to walk away from a fight, than walk into one.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1419 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2018, matsam wrote:
Hard to tell how long the whole thing takes, given the trailer cut; and if there are awkward bouts of equivoque. intrigued, though! Looking forward to hearing more thoughts.

It's very quick, no equivoque. It is very clever. I can guarantee if Chris had performed this on me, I would have been fooled. It's got some really killer subtleties which really make it seem impossible.

Madison
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
DougRoy
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DougRoy
Quick question:
I gather from comments that 'table space' is required with this, for the spread. Would a fanning of the cards, in the hand, not be a possibility? I mostly do strolling magic, so just
curious if this can be done in that format... with minimal space.
Looking for some input on this.
Thanks in advance! Smile
Doug
"Bringing magic to life."

www.DougRoyMagic.com
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Davdo
With some obedient specs, in theory they could hold the tabled cards. And the spread at the end is just a fancy reveal. The last reveal could be done in the hands. I don't think it would be that difficult to adapt to strolling.

Dave
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2429 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I don't care for the procedure that is left out of the demo. This has a much quicker reset than Big Four Poker, but I don't think it is as entertaining. If I had to choose between this and big four poker I would definitely go with Big Four Poker. Although the reset for BFP is a hassle. Just my 2 cents.
Craigers
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of Craigers
Took a punt at this. Not sure I like it. The "burning" seems a bit contrived as the magician makes the burn choices, so need to find a workaround. Also the explanation video could have been done in 5 mins.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8634 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2018, Paul Rathbun wrote:
I don't care for the procedure that is left out of the demo. This has a much quicker reset than Big Four Poker, but I don't think it is as entertaining. If I had to choose between this and big four poker I would definitely go with Big Four Poker. Although the reset for BFP is a hassle. Just my 2 cents.

While I also like Tom's take on his Big Four Poker, I actually like a lot more about One Card Poker. I think for what it is, it does not dissapoint.

1 - It's quite a bit shorter but does not suffer for spectator interaction and participation for this kind of effect.

2 - It's a lot cheaper.

3- It's easier to assemble (and reset as noted).

4 - I like that the specs are just as involved and believe just as much as to their shuffling & choices of the cards, and overall play & fairness of the effect...Very believable and the amazement is honest.

And I already know that it plays rather well, and I love that it's fairly easy to do with little to worry about in presenting it..No "hassle" at all.

Now, I'm just a decent-at-best coin guy, but I do understand "to each his own," but just wanted to give a baseline comparison, IMHO. Smile And as to getting what you pay for, in this one, I think you get a good bit more, for a lot less. Just my thoughts and truly appreciate all the other views, either-which-way. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Christopher_Rawlins
View Profile
Regular user
North West, England.
167 Posts

Profile of Christopher_Rawlins
Can I also say that, I met Tom in Chicago, he's a super nice guy.

He actually cane to both my lecture there, and we talked about OCP, Big Four Poker and many other things.

We really got on, and hope to keep in touch.

I don't feel that OCP should be compared to BFP, they are very different.

The responce to this has been superb.

I have 6 lectures left on my USA lecture tour, come along and you'll see it live amongst many other creations of mine.

Christopher
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
First off Chris I appreciate the very kind comments. Great meeting you! I really enjoyed our conversation(s) and also look forward to keeping in touch. I agree B4P and OCP very different. Both really good in my opinion:-) Buy either or both and you won't be disappointed.

Also if you get a chance to see Chris lecture do it! He's a great guy and I really enjoyed it (twice!). It's full of terrific information and effects you'll use.

Thanks Paul Rathburn and others for the kind comments about B4P. Truly appreciated. Glad folks like and use it!

I also want to let those who have asked/mentioned it there is a quick reset for B4P. Pick up the 4 piles do 2 quick in the hands reverse faros (used in many self working tricks) and the stack is reset! Takes less than a minute. I wish I would have mentioned it in the B4P DVD.

Go see Chris lecture! You'll be glad you did!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » One Card Poker by Chris Rawlins  (116 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL