The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Fire Power In Detail (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
128 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Whether you are a hawk, dove, or somewhere in between, the information on this website is illuminating and frightening.

The more you drill down into some of the details the scarier it gets. I wanted to summarize all of the "assets" into a lumped category for a "world" total but gave up because of anguish and details.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I haven't 'drilled down' but looking at the website made me remember back before our first attack against Iraq after they had invaded Kuwait. Remember how all the 'experts' were telling us how powerful Iraq was and how difficult it would be to attack them? Just makes me think that we have to take these "global fire power" estimates with a grain of salt. At least we can hope that maybe they aren't as powerful as some think.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Look at labor force strength. Recall the story about soldiers on a bridge marching... or imagine... at the count of three click here Smile

Anyone else recall that poster from the early 1970s about nuclear arsenal sizes and devastation?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I thought a lot about the quote from Bertrand Russell: "War will not determine who is right- only who is left." The US Civil War was victorious for the side against slavery; but slavery was wrong whether or not the Union won! I also thought about the Iraq war's justification ("weapons of mass destruction"), and Dick Cheney's quote that the US military will be met with "sweets and flowers". Not even close to the truth OR the moral high ground. Lynn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ground defended by great wealth and use of nuclear weapons looks moral and high to those who can level the hills of others.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
And psychopaths Jonathan.

Let's not forget psychopaths run the world - and have for a long long time.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2018, lynnef wrote:
I thought a lot about the quote from Bertrand Russell: "War will not determine who is right- only who is left." The US Civil War was victorious for the side against slavery; but slavery was wrong whether or not the Union won! I also thought about the Iraq war's justification ("weapons of mass destruction"), and Dick Cheney's quote that the US military will be met with "sweets and flowers". Not even close to the truth OR the moral high ground. Lynn


Unfortunately there are those who still think that the wrong side won the Civil War, and that their right to own other humans was violated.

Let's not talk about what informs the morality of that mindset.

Eventually it will be credulity that brings down the human race; the same credulity that has caused the moral crisis the world has been going through for most of history.

Never forget, it's us vs. them, and we have to shoot first and vilify those who ask questions later - while we fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here!!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
... vilify those who ask questions later - while we fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here!!

Them is whoever stands between you and your entitlements.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
And psychopaths Jonathan.

Let's not forget psychopaths run the world - and have for a long long time.

Examples?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
... Them is whoever stands between you and your entitlements.

Whoops that reads as pointed. Sorry. There's a risk in looking at others as obstacles, and confusing tolerance with condescension.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
And psychopaths Jonathan.

Let's not forget psychopaths run the world - and have for a long long time.

Examples?


Anyone who places a dollar value on human life.

So, take your pick.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
... Them is whoever stands between you and your entitlements.

Whoops that reads as pointed. Sorry. There's a risk in looking at others as obstacles, and confusing tolerance with condescension.


I think there is a risk of looking at others as obstacles for the wrong reasons; and tolerance is a form of condescension.

What entitlements?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That's part of the dialogue going back at least to Hobbes' Leviathan. Citizen means...what?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That's part of the dialogue going back at least to Hobbes' Leviathan. Citizen means...what?


Most wouldn't care if the Leviathan was benevolent; but what are the odds, if it has more then two heads.
Are we inherently self destructive?

It's more a matter of what being a citizen should mean, but still doesn't. Citizen ultimately meaning citizen of the "world".

If all are inherently equal - what are you entitled to for being born?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20433 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In America today? More and more every day.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4973 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
If all are inherently equal - what are you entitled to for being born?


That's an interesting question. I think as human beings and societies evolve, the answer to that question evolves. There is no fixed list. It's what we as a species decide it to be.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
By what criteria?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That's part of the dialogue going back at least to Hobbes' Leviathan. Citizen means...what?


Most wouldn't care if the Leviathan was benevolent; but what are the odds, if it has more then two heads.
Are we inherently self destructive?

It's more a matter of what being a citizen should mean, but still doesn't. Citizen ultimately meaning citizen of the "world".

If all are inherently equal - what are you entitled to for being born?

...more THAN two heads...
Sorry. See latest post in sticky thread above to see why I couldn't help myself.
Carry on.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4973 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
By what criteria?


1) What makes life livable? Survival...and then? We still haven't figured out even the survival part yet: food, clothing, shelter, health.
2) What is possible?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2018, NYCTwister wrote:
And psychopaths Jonathan.

Let's not forget psychopaths run the world - and have for a long long time.

Examples?


Anyone who places a dollar value on human life.

So, take your pick.

Your employer? Banks? Life Insurance companies?
Workers Compensation Board? Mortuaries? Funeral Parlour?
Tombstone and Coffin companies? All psychopaths?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Global Fire Power In Detail (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL