The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Barry H. Wiley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
It is with great sadness that I tell you that author and respected magic historian Barry H. Wiley has passed away.

You may remember him from his great works on Lulu Hurst, Anna Eva Faye, The Thought Reader Craze and a huge amount of articles on everything from David J. Lustig to the Piddingtons. In later life, the mystery bug caught him and he produced a number of short and long stories revolving around mentalism and magic. Many of these are available at Amazon and make for good reading.

He studied and wrote on Dunninger, passing along a huge amount of his research to me. Long were the nights at our homes talking about mentalism and the greats.

No one could match his research techniques - tracking down obscure facts that lead to a whole story.

The magic world has lost one of the best.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1571 Posts

Profile of gmeister
A major loss. His research was and is invaluable to so many. He'll be greatly missed.
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
Those of us who knew Barry had the privilege of calling "friend" one of the most decent, beautiful human beings who graced this planet.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1690 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
And a good writer whose passion for his subject shined through his writing.
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
And he loved the liver and onions at Musso and Frank Grill in LA. He was also a fan of John's Grill, in San Francisco, which I believe he frequented with you, Joe.
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Indeed Sam. Many of the Mystery Writers of America meetings were held there. Very apropos.

We also would head up to Byron Walker's and conduct research - which meant finding just one little itty bit of data after a day of digging that helped him complete one of his works.

I can't remember the exact date, but must have known him for at least 25 years. Tracked him down when he wrote an article on magic collecting for I believe Forbes and used a Dunninger autograph to illustrate the article. He later provided me with hours and hours of interviews he conducted with people that knew Dunninger. And his Piddington interviews and research was really great.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
144 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
I am gutted to hear this. I followed Mr. Wiley's work on the Piddingtons closely, and "The Thought Reader Craze" is second to none. I had hoped to meet him one day and have some long conversations. Thank you for posting this, Joe. He did a LOT for the mentalism community.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2576 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Sad loss. I have a few of his books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Barry H. Wiley (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL