The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Copycat by David Parr (127 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
wcb39
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of wcb39
Wonderful routine. I liked the advice of not copying David's bell so I use one of those clicker frogs. I don't say anything about it, just click it and have found the spectator laughs every time they pick up the frog and click it.
ltchip
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of ltchip
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
What makes it a "new category" to my mind is that most "Do As I Do" tricks CAN'T BE DONE by the spectator who is trying to imitate you. The "Follow the Leader" style developed by David Parr, is one of the very few where the spectator SUCCEEDS, and has no idea how it is possible. A couple of candidates I have been working on includes a torn and restored napkin. Spectator chooses a red or blue napkin, you take the one the spectator leaves on the table. Spectator follows your moves as you both tear your napkins into pieces (with the bell ringing or a table gong if you wish). You both end up restoring your napkins at the end and spectator has no idea how it happened. I think that's something new in magic.

I agree - succeeding in turning a spec into a magician or mentalist or miracle worker is a great twist. These are mostly found in mentalism where they succeed in devining the mind of the performer. Love the concept of physical success here. And BTW would be very interested if someone works out a T&R follow the leader - that would be outstanding.
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of strollingmagician
Anyone have a link to purchase a bell like the one used? Thanks!
mlj35
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of mlj35
Picked up one similar from eBay...
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
The best $20 I spent lately..... (just purchased it from Penguin Magic)
Wonderful routine and very interesting explanation from David Parr.....
10/10
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thank you, Miraclemakers! What led to your purchase of Copycat? Was it recommended by a friend or colleague or did you run across it on your own?
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2020, David Parr wrote:
Thank you, Miraclemakers! What led to your purchase of Copycat? Was it recommended by a friend or colleague or did you run across it on your own?

After watching your recent lecture for The Hat & Rabbit Club, I became much more intrigued with your work! Thank you for an outstanding lecture!!
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Thanks, magic.99! Hat & Rabbit is a great group and I had lots of fun. Hope to see you all again!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Just purchased this tonight and I am very pleased with it. More than likely I will use my hotel bell from the Tower of Terror attraction at California Adventure. Of course now I guess that bell is an antique as well since the Tower of Terror is no longer called that! I'm toying with the idea of making some antique cards and using this as a fun routine around Halloween. But we shall see. I have to admit this was some good thinking involved in this routine. I highly recommend it for those who have not purchased it yet.

Good magic to all,

Eric
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Best Parr release by a mile.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I too like this routine. I have an old bell very similar to the one Parr uses. In fact, I bought it for this routine. I think the genius of Parr is the theatrics. Over the years, I have incorporated more and more theatrics into my magic, even my more "hobby" magic. My friends and family have come to count on me having a silly and entertaining premise to the trick.

It takes a lot of time to develop an entertaining story telling ability when doing magic in casual settings. It's like that friend that everyone has that has a knack for telling stories of things that happen in daily life in an entertaining way.

Magic can be like comedy. We look at the work around us and think "how might we look at a situation and make it entertaining?"

My 11 year old daughter frequently asks me to do the "well behaved dog trick" that she has seen dozens of times before because it is funny, engaging, entertaining, and relatable.

He did't like to see medo tricks inthe past because I was just doing what I and most other magicians thought was an awesome trick, but to her, it wasn't very entertaining.

Now, I try to take those awesome tricks and make them more entertaining.

KJ
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Definitely a great routine, and one I hadn't seen until this thread resurfaced, so I picked it up last night. I'm looking forward to finding a spot to perform this as it really is a thing of beauty, and it's so nice to make the spectator a star.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
I use a sound effects box. People keel over laughing so hard that it sometimes holds the routine up for a moment.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sound+effects......b_noss_2
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
danHumphrey
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
Wow, I've never seen this before and purchased just now. What a fantastic routine. I love finding gems like this that have been around for a while but passed me by!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I just learned of Copycat last night and purchased David's video from Penguin. It's an excellent instructional video! I had no trouble creating the needed props. I already had ALL of the necessary tools on-hand.

After a couple of practice runs by myself, I showed it to the Mrs. She loved it! Big thumbs up!

I used the bell from our game of Pit. But I found a nifty bell on eBay, it will be here next week.

Thanks for a terrific effect, David! Best $20 I've spent on magic this year!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Check out the "Easy" button from Staples on eBay as an alternate to a bell...

Just a suggestion.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I performed Copycat several times over the weekend. This effect is a real winner! I'm on the lookout for some background music to play during my performance to complete the "theater" of the effect.

Mark
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
This is a great effect. I bought it when it came to penguin years ago. But I agree with people who were surprised it fooled pen and teller because I was sure I knew the method when I saw it on fool us but I decided to buy it thinking the method had to be something else if it fooled pen and teller. It was what I thought but I that is not a bad thing, that is the cleanest method for this effect.

Here is an idea. If you modify the handling slightly you can have an additional kicker ending. Use two blank decks and ommit the part where you and the spectator show the faces of the cards. At the end after the cards match, pick up your deck, turn it over and spread face up to show all blank cards. The spectator can now turn their cards over to show their cards are also all blank.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
This is a great trick. I have several times seen Penn and Teller be "fooled" when I was fairly certain I knew the method. I think sometimes they reward tricks and performers they like as opposed to being truly fooled by, however this is just my opinion and have no facts to back it up.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2023, Xcath1 wrote:
This is a great trick. I have several times seen Penn and Teller be "fooled" when I was fairly certain I knew the method. I think sometimes they reward tricks and performers they like as opposed to being truly fooled by, however this is just my opinion and have no facts to back it up.

Everything I've read & heard about the show suggests you are incorrect. The magicians who've appeared on the show all say the same thing.. the producers WANT you to succeed and WANT your performance to go well. Further, P&T have NO IDEA who is appearing on the show until they are announced during the taping.

I'll have an opportunity to observe the process first-hand next week, I will be in the studio audience for two tapings of Fool Us season 10.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Copycat by David Parr (127 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL