The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Pandora - an out for any occasion. (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
I pulled the trigger, will review soon.
//Sean Beard
Johnsypoppins
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Johnsypoppins
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2018, SleepyMagic wrote: So for example if I m doing a propless piece as an introduction...I won't be able to use this as an out?

Thanks

Sleepy

Yes and no... really depends on if you prep for this as a back-up (prep might not be the best word).

You couldnít literally go up to someone and ask them to think of a place (insert one of the various forces) and then if it doesnít hit use this as an out (as directly as that).

Hopefully I am not coming across negatively about this as itís a clever bit of business, just trying to make sure people donít go into this expecting something that it isnít.
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, Johnsypoppins wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2018, SleepyMagic wrote: So for example if I m doing a propless piece as an introduction...I won't be able to use this as an out?

Thanks

Sleepy

Yes and no... really depends on if you prep for this as a back-up (prep might not be the best word).

You couldnít literally go up to someone and ask them to think of a place (insert one of the various forces) and then if it doesnít hit use this as an out (as directly as that).

Hopefully I am not coming across negatively about this as itís a clever bit of business, just trying to make sure people donít go into this expecting something that it isnít.

Like me, I guess.

Ok...after 3 read-throughs I believe I finally understand what the actual principle is. It took 3 read-throughs because there is a LOT of by-play and tangents. I literally had to slowly sift through to get the methodological beats. This principle is simple enough, there were moments that came across borderline patronizing--such as offering actual suggestions on how to make it look like you are struggling to find the answer: showing a look of distaste, running fingers through hair, etc.

I can forgive all of this to an extent. So I want to be clear on this next part.

I am very very confused as to why and how Peter Turner okayed this as an independent release. No offense to Peter at all--I'm a massive fa of Peter, but this isn't "similar," it IS Peter's work from at least 3 other releases I own by him, at least. The "Pandora Principle" comes in 3 components, put together.

The first component was literally my favorite thing on Peter's At the Table Live Lecture, minute 135.
The second component is on a handful of Peter's Releases--the only difference is what Pete says, Pandora writes. Not a big enough difference in my opinion to warrant an independent release.
The final component is on Devil in Disguise 2, as well as other Peter Turner releases, but it's really pushed to stardom in DID2.

So, yes, this is a great idea. My problem is that I paid $45 to someone else for a great idea I purchased from Peter Turner.

I was expecting a new principle, handling, or even approach to utilizing DR as an "out" to psycho mechanical effects. Sorry, but this is an amalgamut of some basic ideas that have pretty much been explored in this way--I'm not seeing why this was released as a $44 single release.

If you ARE interested in the safety-net idea, or padding a psycho-mechanical performance with some interesting or theatrical alternatives to just failing, I highly recommend Lewis LeVal's work--specifically his Wish routine, and Fortunes Told.

Before I get bashed for this, I'll conclude with the fact that I already paid $45--and for that reason, I get to have my negative opinion of this release. Those are the terms you accept when you release material to the public.

0/5 from me. Extraordinarily confused.

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
The website says the physical books are to be shipped today correct?
//Sean Beard
MitchellK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of MitchellK
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, Tempesta wrote:

Hi there,
Apologies that you feel this way about the product.
The books do indeed ship today, printing is all done and they are being sent off to those who have ordered.
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, MitchellK wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, Tempesta wrote:

Hi there,
Apologies that you feel this way about the product.
The books do indeed ship today, printing is all done and they are being sent off to those who have ordered.

And I appreciate the respect in return. Very professional.

Thank you for the update on shipping!
//Sean Beard
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
399 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Mitchell reached out and we talked a bit via private message and I would like to make a public note here because I think the Cafť needs more attitudes like his.

I wholeheartedly expected to be blasted over my review, but Mitchell has been nothing less than polite, professional, and understanding that Pandora wasn't for me. I would concede that Pandora would be a decent start to psycho-mechanical performing if one hasn't explored a lot of the more limited releases out there. I for one, would love more positive, and humble attitudes like Mitchell's on the Cafť, so that a negative review can be posted without resorting to insults and name calling.

So with that, I'll give Mitchell a character review of 5/5. Excellent service.

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I fully echo what Sean has written.

I had a question about Pandora and Mitchell was helpful and very responsive.

It is certainly refreshing to have such excellent and attentive service.

Neil
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1819 Posts

Profile of 252life
I agree with Tempestas overall feelings.
I really enjoyed True Mysteries.
And, I based every future purchase from Fraser based on that.
I've regretted every single one since.
Now, unless I read reviews from people I recognize, and trust, I stay clear and save my money.
(True about Peter killing it lately. His work has turned to gold)
Sucks to be left with such a lasting bad taste, but I also realize many people find good value in his works.
Just gun shy, and increasingly more aware of doing my homework before buying.
Thanks guys
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
This is an interesting one to say the least.

At Tempesta said, it is essentially a combination of a few of Peter Turnerís ideas. The thing is: the idea is very good and will work very well. If you always prepare for the out, then you can always ensure youíll get a hit even on something that they truly just think of in the moment. My issue though, is calling this an out for any occasion because I simpl donít believe thatís the case. In order to use this as an out, you must first have already done something. And you couldnít do this thing AFTER the other trick fails. So if you wanted to use it as an out, you must do the other thing ever time you perform just in case something later on fails. In that respect, I donít see this as an out for any occasion.

Itís a nice idea. And you could apparently guess someoneís PIN code with literally nothing about it written down or spoken aloud, but it isnít truly an out for any occasion.

Personally, I feel the price point is far too high. This is something that could have been casually mentioned on the Devil in Disguise or one of Peterís other works. It seems like something that is jotted in someoneís notebook but doesnít truly belong by itself.

Itís sad! Because again, itís a nice idea and it will certainly work. It could even work on stage if youíre clever about it. I think the marketing for it was all wrong. At a cheaper price, and not billed as an out for any occasion, these reviews would probably be quite different.

Madison
dyoung
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of dyoung
So someone else's thing, something that;s been around earlier... (not making it a bad thing, as such)? That makes it 2 for 2 then (with previous Barrie Richardson rehash)? Let's see if he can score a hat trick Smile

//Dan
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1819 Posts

Profile of 252life
The magician plucks the rabbit from the hat.
Bam! Brand new effect Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Nico Heinrich
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Nico Heinrich
When I was reading Pandora, it also reminded me of Peter's BOB principle - but as Peter had allowed Mitchell to publish his work I kept reading. There are some nice nuances and linguistic subtleties to this, which I really liked. I don't know if they are all new, as I don't know everything Pete has published, but they do make this good and working flawlessly. Also Mitchell's "Thought Backtrack" concept is pretty clever and I will definitely use this in shows. It's all practical stuff! Moreover, there are some very good tips on how to deceptively structure a whole mind reading routine, which might be worth the price of this book alone - however, that's not what people paid for, right? So, I definitely understand Sean's reaction here.

In terms of originality, I think it's okay to publish a version of someone else's idea with proper credits and permission - like Mitchell has done it!

Cheers,

Nico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Pandora - an out for any occasion. (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL