The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many tricks for one show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
How many tricks do you all do at 30 min. shows and 40 min. shows?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
When I do a 30 minute show I just cut my normal 1-Hour show in half and do 2 routines.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
30 minutes shows are usually 3 routines and a rabbit in the hat routine, 40 minute shows are usually 4 routines and rabbit in hat........I really pack small and play big as a full timer I am doing 3 sometimes 4 or more shows in a day and I don't want to spend tons of time repacking resetting etc. I can set up my show in less then 5 min and break it down in under a minute!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I do maybe 5 to 6 routines in a 30 minute show. Sometimes one of the routines may be less than 2 minutes in length.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I'm about the same as Donald.

mac, you make a good point, though. If you're a professional magician always running around places. Keep your show simple (but still really entertaining) so that you can quickly setup/takedown.

A friend of mine carries two seperate shows in his truck at any given time. He own two suitcase-like tables (not the Finale ones) and each has a different show. The way he does the show, too, is that he doesn't even use all of the effects he carries in that table. The table has a bunch of drawers and I think he does the show depending on the audience. He's one of the busiest magicians I know.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Keep in mind that it is much better to do well thought out routines that work, then to try and make up for non-thought out routines by trying to do too many of them.

Entertain with the routines you have and spend the time to get them really working well. Do they get the right reactions? Do the kids have fun with them?

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Well here is a little tip, at staples or any office supply stores they sell.......I think they are called travel filing cabinets, its a small box that can hold hanging files and it has a lid and handle that closes!
I have like five or six different shows and keep each shows materials in each filing cabinet,labeled with the show it is, and keep them in my vehicle!
these fit perfectly in the bottom section of my Lefler table so to change shows I simple switch filing boxes in and out of the table in a matter of ten seconds!
plus as a bonus after I am at the venue and set up, the box simply goes on the floor alittle behind my table and when I am finish with a prop it goes directly into the box so when the show is over I close the lid, put that inside my lefler table, close that up and I am out of there.........no chance for the little ones to come a runnin trying to get there mits on the good stuff!
these boxes are not exactly cheap like 12 dollars each(teehee) but the make life soooooo much easier plus they are hard plastic to protect all your expensive props! some of mine have dividers to keep things more secure etc.
well give it a try it will really help you stay organized!
Greg
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Jkta99
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
109 Posts

Profile of Jkta99
Thanks for all the help.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nice idea. I also use a Lefler table and it works great for me. I have a tendancy to change the show around and to customize the show pending on who is there and how the show flow is going.

With this in mind, I carry much more then I need for the given show. This allows me the freedom to customize on the fly if I need to. It also allows me to be ready for any situation should they come up.

But, my Lefler table is a key ingredient in my "pack sensibly" approach to doing shows.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
I'm the odd man out here. I wish I could do only two routines in 30 minutes, but I'd put the audience to sleep and wouldn't survive the competition if I do that.

My 45-minute show has a couple of gag routines (no real mystery, just comedy and by-play), with wisecracking segues and transitions between routines. The rest of the show, however, is trick after trick. My opening number alone has 13 tricks.

For that matter I lugged around a roll-on table, several boxes, one traveler's bag, one illusion, a couple of smaller illusions, five doves, one rabbit, one duck and...

Oh, well, I work hard, not smart. Don't be like me. Smile

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
x303
View Profile
New user
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada.
74 Posts

Profile of x303
30 minutes I do 12 tricks in 9 routines.

I guess it depends on the performer, some can do 30 min with a piece of rope and others uses or needs more!
As I refine a routine it gets longer.

Bob
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
Here's another thing - as you start developing your routines, everything will depend on your audience. I've had kids who get bored with the hippity-hop rabbits after one turn around, and then others in the same age group that will yell their lungs out for twenty minutes if I let them. I'm not sure how an act can get only two or three tricks into half an hour and keeps kids entertained these days... but I've got lots more to learn - don't we all! Anyway, always have a backup plan in case the audience doesn't react the way you plan. All it takes is one loudmouth or unruly kid to throw things off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How many tricks for one show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL