The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Perpetua's Tears (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
I am new at this, what do you folks think?

Have you ever heard of Perpetua? She was a Christian Martyr that was fed to the lions at the Coliseum in Rome. It is said that as Perpetua was torn apart her tears turned to crystal stone. Nantus, a caretaker of the Coliseum took several of these crystal stones, the tears of Perpetua and sold them to Christian beleivers. It is said that the crystal stones had remarkable properties. They conveyed to the bearer peace and courage. Another fantastic story regarding these tears of stone is that when held by a person who was pure of heart the crystal stones would undergo a phenomena like stigmata by turning red. It is said that the Knights of Templar would ride into battle with these stones to give them courage to face the cold steel of scimatars.

Only a few of those stones exist today. Are you pure of heart? Here, hold the stone. Hold onto it tightly. Think of Perpetua. Can you hear her cries as the lions tear her flesh? Can you see her tears falling upon the dust of the Coliseum floor? Can you feel the Stone Start to change? Open your hand. I thought that you were one of pure and noble heart.

The set up for this is to have a clear glass bead or stone held between the thumb and first two fingers or you right hand. Also have a red glass stone or bead fingerpalmed in your right hand. As you tell the story place the clear stone onto the palm of left hand and just drop your right hand to your side. Don't worry, the spectator does not know what is going to hit them.

When you get to the part "Only a few of these stones exist today" pick the stone up with your right hand, again held between the thumb and the first two fingers.

As you ask the spectator "Are you pure of heart?" Throw the stone into your left hand but actually retain it and let the red stone drop into the left hand. Extend and rotate your left hand so that the back of the palm is facing up.

Let you right hand drop to side and as attention is focused on your left hand let the right hand pocket the clear stone in your right trouser pocket. It helps to have loose trousers so that you can just drop the stone at the opening of the pocket and let gravity work its own magic. Also make sure that your pocket is empty so that the stone does'nt make noise against a coin, card box, or what have you.

Now take the spectator by wrist with their palm face and let the red stone drop into their hand. Use your left hand to cover the stone from view as you close the spectators hand.

All there is now is build up. Have the spectator Think of Perpetua, the lions, etc. If you have Luke Jeremay's "Building Blocks" this may be the ideal time a little "Suggestion".

I was at work tonight and the party had these glass stones as decorations on the table so a borrowed two. I did it twice without the story for two co-workers and got some nice reactions. As the evening wore on I started to develop the idea of Perpetua's Tears and tried it three more time. The story definitely added to the impact of this effect.

I hope that no one is offended by the story and I also hope you guys like this effect. Let me know.

Take Care!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Caspar,
The handling is fairly standard but the story line is great! I really like it; it catches the audience and involves them throughout.
Besides, as far as the handling goes, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- that is as powerful in magic as when the magic happens in the spectator's own hands.
Well done!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Reminds me of something my friend Liam Montier was about to publish. A very cool visual handeling which looks very good in his hands.

Luke Jermay.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I like it a lot. I always enjoy when a simple effect grows by the means of a powerful story.

Very nice.

I think would be nice to get older stones, some kind of irregular cristal rock, wore away and old. But that's only my opinion.

Thanks for share!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I totally respect the idea and images. No problem with the Christian context. We may someday get to "What Lot's Wife Saw" or "Chtulu Wants a word with You".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I guess the Christian idea of “relic” will always be suggestive, both for audience and performers.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Caspar,

I'm with the others on this one. I really enjoyed the story and your method. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Chrystal
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Thank you everyone. The words from this esteemed group mean a lot to me.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Caspar:

This is a really great idea. I have another idea that would fit this story as well. If you can get a "Prince Rupert's Drop" from Viking, you could wrap it in a piece of cloth and place it into the spectator's hand. If you place it correctly, when they squeeze the cloth, it will break the "tail" off the drop and cause it to turn to powder.

The cloth is to protect the spectator.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Thanks Bill, I will definitely look into that. I also like Enrique's idea about having a stone that would more look the part. Last night all I had were the glass beads and the idea to have some rough quartz crystal I think will really dress the effect.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Well done, and see all, while it may be an unplesant thing to be torn apart by lions! there was no spooky stuff to this one!!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Lamberto
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of Lamberto
It's already said but magic combined with a 'touching' story plays very powerful.

And this is such a story! Keep going on.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but the mere title 'Chtulu wants a word with you' intrigues me.

And yes, good story. With a good source for the stones, this would be a lovely walkaroud/giveaway bit, as well.

Tobias!

psst - wanna buy a relic?
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
I love the idea of using a martyr's relic-very powerful and magical. Great idea!
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
This website has some teardrop crystals.

artbeads.com

Just search for "Crystal Teardrop"

There are multiple colors and sizes. Effects for these are endless. YOu could perform Caspar's effect. YOu could try a David Blaine type effect where you swalllow the bead and then rub it out of your eye. Or if you see someone crying you walk up to them and then turn one of their tears into a crystal.

Joe
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I love this story premise, combined with an uncomplicated approach to the effect; you've got pure dynamite !

KOTAH
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Really nice story. I enjoyed the read and the presentation.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Perpetua's Tears (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL