The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fake Scissors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Any thoughts on the best way to gimmick a pair of scissors so they wont cut? Make them dull as can be. There are obvious ways to do it but just checking to see if anyone has a good method.
Thanks....
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Low grit sand paper?

Bend the blades so they don't meet at a sheer point?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Just get left handed scissors and try cutting using your right hand. No need to dull them, they are just not effective
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Just. Thought but you could dull all the blade except for a small portion so you can choose when it cuts
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
Just get left handed scissors and try cutting using your right hand. No need to dull them, they are just not effective

*This.*

And, if you're a rightie trying to cut with leftie scissors, you should know how to cut with them. It's a matter of torqueing the blades together with your fingers, which will allow them to cut.

The technique is hard to describe, but I basically push the upper handle to the left and pull the lower handle to the right, while holding the scissors in my right hand. The grip on the handles is all important. It appears normal, but if using lefty scissors, it will torque the blades against each other with a lot of pressure, allowing you to cut most anything. This is especially helpful if you're a righty who's ever marooned on a desert island with a pair of lefty shears.

--Brett
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Best bet (in my opinion) is to take them to a knife sharpening place and introduce yourself and explain what you need, they can dull the edge and polish it to look like new.
Or if you own a dremel or metal grinder you can do the same yourself (Harborfreight.com for the tools)
I did this to a pair of scissors for my walking knot routine.
Bruce
usamacs
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of usamacs
I agree drmolarmagic. Visiting a knife sharpening place sounds best in this case. However, if you have one in your kitchen or any alternative like a knife sharpening rod, you can do it yourself.
sharpening Scissor Techniques: https://everfinite.com/how-to-sharpen-scissors/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Fake Scissors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL