The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystify Book Test by Vinny Sagoo (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1133 Posts

Profile of caigy
"OMG! Just get this, 5 out of 5.

https://www.neomagic.co.uk/product-page/mystify

This pocket size book test is perfect for the mix and mingle mind magic that I do. No pumping for information, very easy to do, with very little memory work and the nicely produced 120 page paperback book can be examined.

This is now my go to book test...I love it and carry it with me everywhere!!

Mystify has to one of the best single word reveal book tests I have seen in my 25 years of being involved in magic...I only wish I had thought of it!

The words aren't on the same line everytime, so the effect can be instantly repeated should you want to do so. It utilises an easy to learn, 100% sure-fire system, which although will be familiar to most performers, hasn't been used for this type of effect before, as far as I am aware.

Well done Vinny.

Paul McCaig.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com www.MagicSiteUK.com
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
907 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Does the performer need to know the page number?

That's always a big deal for me as it can look like a memory test rather than mind reading.

Thanks
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1133 Posts

Profile of caigy
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2018, David Klass wrote:
Does the performer need to know the page number?

That's always a big deal for me as it can look like a memory test rather than mind reading.

Thanks

Hi David

yes it does but I tend to use it in conjunction with my Executive Grid, where the participant's secretly noted number results in a mind-reading double whammy revelation!

Or as a stand-alone effect in a group situation, by casually passing the book to one person to confirm how many pages it has, then asking another to name any number from 1 to 120 and asking a third participant "to open the book to that page and look at.........!!", creates just enough time misdirection to still go in on a mind-reading angle,

I understand that this second option may not be ideal but I really believe that the ease of use, very little memory work and sure-fire results every time, more than compensate.

Paul McCaig.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2401 Posts

Profile of NeilS
A good line for knowing the page number is to say, 'To prevent any collusion, could someone give me a page number ...'

And off you go Smile

Neil
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1133 Posts

Profile of caigy
Used this again last week at a large mix & mingle event...It slays them every time!!!

So easy to use either as a stand-alone effect, or as part of a multi-phase routine Smile

Is there anyone else out there enjoying this as much as I am?

Paul McCaig.

Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1374 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
How does the book look? This is a big one for me. Too many of these smack of 'fake book', looking like something cheaply self-published, inside and/or out.
It's all in the reflexes.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Illucifer... If you actually followed the link in the original post, and clicked on the video you will see what it looks like.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2018, NeilS wrote:
A good line for knowing the page number is to say, 'To prevent any collusion, could someone give me a page number ...'

And off you go Smile

Neil

Thanks Neil - this, to me, epitomises what the Café is about, sharing and (for me) learning.
Use the FORCE Luke.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Ordered from Penguin. I love book tests. And I ordered the Executive Grid as well. Smile
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1290 Posts

Profile of Jared
I received this tonight and as with all book tests I examined it thoroughly before reading the instructions and could not find anything suspicious nor could I figure out the method from just looking at the pages. The size of the book is also ideal for strolling (thin and pocket-friendly) and it's professionally produced. Overall, there's a lot to like about it this EXCEPT for one significant point.

Without giving away the method, you need to ask for the page number. But this is no big deal since I'm already used to doing this from previous book tests such as James L. Clark's 'Dracula'. However, the key word is not on the top or bottom of the page. Instead, it's located several lines down from the top of the page...For example, it could be line 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8. But there is no motivation for doing this...It doesn't make any sense because it's not like you can ask the spectator to choose the first word from ANY line. Instead, YOU have to direct the spectator to choose the particular line by saying something like, "How about looking at the first word on line #5...got it?" It would be better if there was a valid reason for choosing the particular line or word.

Perhaps, I'm missing something. Maybe Vinny can explain his reason for doing this because it seems rather odd and I'm no stranger to book tests. I probably own (or have owned) every book test released over the past 12-years.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1133 Posts

Profile of caigy
Hi Jared,

I totally understand your point but I jazz it a bit by asking the participant to read the first paragraph silently to themselves and then, "To narrow things down a little", and in a 'It doesn't really matter' sort of manner, ask them "Silently read...I don't know...let's say, lines four and five" (Or whichever two lines include the line the reveal word is on). I then say, "Please concentrate on the LAST word on line...(?)" but quickly correct myself by saying, "No! I'm not happy with that word!!..Please focus on the FIRST word instead!!".

By doing this, especially if I'm repeating the effect within a walk-about environment, with the possibility of someone seeing me perform it a couple of times and the word reveal happens be on the same line as the last time, I simply work around things by maybe asking the participant to read the previous, or following line, as well as the line you want e.g. "lines three and four" or "lines five and six", which is subtly different to the last performance but still includes the line I need and getting them to focus on the SECOND (Or whatever number) word on line, before correcting myself this time, or just going straight in with the FIRST word.

Like you, I own just about every book test out there but what I really like about 'Mystify' is the original, easy to remember method, the size, look and layout of the book and as mentioned above, the versatility of being able to 'jazz' it in a close-up, walk-about situation.

Paul McCaig.

Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1290 Posts

Profile of Jared
Hi Paul,
That's a pretty good strategy but my only reservation is that some people might get confused and 'focus' on the wrong word. As we know, some people can follow directions well but others do not. For sure, the method itself ingenious and the book itself is nicely produced. But, it would have felt more complete had Vinny included several strategies and/or motivations for directing the spectator to a particular line from a paragraph. The video tutorial felt rather incomplete and I'm sure he beta-tested this in the real-world prior to releasing it.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2401 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Out of interest, are the 'force' words sufficiently intriguing and allow for a good revelation or more nondescript?
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1290 Posts

Profile of Jared
Neil,

Mystify uses the military phonetic alphabet for its key words: alpha, bravo, Charlie, delta etc. The advantage being the most people know these words already.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
543 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2018, Jared wrote:
Neil,

Mystify uses the military phonetic alphabet for its key words: alpha, bravo, Charlie, delta etc. The advantage being the most people know these words already.

I am not sure I understand. When you say 'key' words, do you mean the revealed words, in which case repeat performances will begin to look suspiciously like a pattern.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1290 Posts

Profile of Jared
Yes, they are "key" words...but I disagree with you. They won't look like a pattern. You're hopefully not going to be performing this same book test 10x in a row to the same audience.
magicant
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester UK
111 Posts

Profile of magicant
Hey Guys...

This booktest fooled me from the start when Vinny sent me a prototype... It's fun, compact and effective!

The only thing I think you need to be careful of in my opinion is - This can be examined very well but do not hand out the book for thorough examination after the trick! Pretty standard stuff but thought I'd just say, and while even then most
people will not work this out even at this stage.

Answering a question from above I've found nobody really gets confused and always thinks of the first word as long as your working and patter is correct and clear.

I've just done a MagicWorld review of it so please feel free to check it out at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5gk9-ghew and on our facebook page at www.facebook.com/magicworlduk - Please LIKE or Subscribe to both Smile

Also there's a discount - if you add this and the Experiment to your cart at MagicWorld we give you £5 off the experiment which is also a fantastic trick... see: https://www.magicworld.co.uk/The-Experim......ick.html

Enjoy Mystify Smile
==============================

Producers of COVERT ADAPTIONS - INFAMOUS - DEADLY MARKED DECK - GUARANTEED JACKPOT - THE EXPERIMENT - CERBERUS WALLET - AND MANY MORE!

www.magicworld.co.uk (UK)
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2133 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Been doing book test reviews all week and HAD to include this one

video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXDNygixAA

Positives? I love book tests and this one is going right into my stack

Negatives? I would not do this more than once to the same crowd, the reveal words could be “obvious” to the right kind of people
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystify Book Test by Vinny Sagoo (6 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL