The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Broom Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Everyone,

I'm adding a broom suspension to my illusion show and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on an alternative to the standard broom/pole used in the suspension. The variations I have seen include guitar/Devlin, newpaper pole/Moretti, sword/Pendragons and neon lightbulb/Bill Smith. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Resptfully,

John
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Does your show have a theme? Having a theme can really help you figure out what would be the best prop to put in place of the broom.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Nick,

No, no particular theme. It's a family illusion show, light and humorous. I'm not so much concerned with the presentation as with the props involved. I've thought of a spear, road sign pole, a pole with a removable lantern. I was just wondering what others thought might be interesting.

Thanks
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Well if it's family oriented, why not take the pole, wrap it in the long skinny balloons used for balloon animals. Now you have what looks to be a balloon pole. For patter? Why not take a helium balloon and tie it arround your assistant's foot, explaining the "amazing properties of helium." That was the first thing that came to mind when you said "family illusion show" but there are plenty more ideas.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Bigmac
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Bigmac
The most remarkable broomstick I've ever seen was Kirk Kirkham's when he did the neon tubes and took the last tube completely away. Ask Pete Biro, Mike Caveney or any other of the 200 magicians that saw that show in the late 60's. A spontaneous standing ovation. In later years I used the same prop - under the right conditions it was one of the most spectacular suspensions ever done.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
I have two words: Copperfield Water Suspension.

Okay well maybe that's three but you get the idea. You can use something along those lines. Just a suggestion. But don't copy... wouldn't want to get sued now would you?

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22593 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The water suspension has nothing to do with a broom suspension. Totally different effect and presentation.

It does matter what theme you will use for the show. If you are just doing tricks why bother to change a classic.

Use a guitar.
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
I know it has nothing to do with a broom suspension but the water suspension is so much more interesting... well, that's just my opinion.

But a guitar does sound like a good variation for the Broom suspension. I also like Nick's idea of the helium baloon.
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
Impossible
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
44 Posts

Profile of Impossible
How about using what "looks" like a big thick piece of rope? I was working on a rope idea to follow a sword basket routine, and later went to a "cranker" type levitation in a different area of the show, but I've always wondered what it would have looked like or how the effect would have matured, had I followed through with it. I still have the first sketches of it (very crude sketches) in one of my notebooks of stuff that never became a reality (or should I say "illusion" lol). Maybe the rope would have "risen" out of the basket while I (or an audience member) played a flute? Maybe it would have been done seriously, or maybe it would have been a comedy routine.

Naturally, the entire idea of the rope replacing the broom would create a zillion problems, especially if it were to rise from a basket, but I think it would look pretty cool, and sort of original, in a classic familiar sort of way. Curious to know what you guys think...

Sincerely,
Matt
"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times... Don't exaggerate!" And as Bill Hallahan requested, I can't put a website address in ANY post, so I'll add it here:
www.MagicAndIllusion.com
Thanks
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
How about using an upright vacuum cleaner? After all it is the modern day equivalent to a broom.

Or don’t use anything, have the assistant balance on her fingertips and out stretched hand and arm. Sort of like a cartwheel frozen in the middle.

Or maybe use two assistants, one is the pole and the other is suspended at a right angle to the first (looking for all the world like a real feat of impossible strength!).

Or you could invert the broom, brush side down and have the person suspended from the tip of the handle.

Or …you get the idea…
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I say use the broom. Why not? The whole point of the broom is that she is floating on the bristles, not a stick. Richiardi used to pull down on the bristles to show how delicate they were as the lady was floating. The idea of the soft bristles conveys to the audience that she doesn't just have some rigid pole jammed up under her arm.
Lets not forget that these types of illusions are classics for a reason. A lot of thinking has gone into them. Sometimes, undue creativity can tarnish the simplicity and beauty of an effect.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
KSMagic2007
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
200 Posts

Profile of KSMagic2007
Wmhegbli, a guitar is already a signature piece of Connie Boyd. Remember,use other artist to inspire you, but do not copy their act unless it is either on the market or in print.
Kyle
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1187 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Anyone have a used Chalet broom suspension they want to sell?

Thanks,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22593 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never heard of this Connie Boyd person! What Magic magazine cover is he or she on?

I don't get to see that many performers being not able to travel the world.

Great minds think alike I guess. It was only a suggestion.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Connie Boyd? Never heard of that person either, but I DO believe Chezeday has been using a guitar suspension for years ... maybe 15 years now. Steve, are you out there? Can you confirm this?
DavidH
View Profile
New user
David Hira
6 Posts

Profile of DavidH
Yes, I have a wonderful Chalet Broom Suspension and routine for sale...

Comes complete with Chalet's great base, excellent brooms, excellent harness, nice costume, stool (two height adjustments for height of girl), edited music and killer routine good for most every event. Comes in two fiber cases (one for brooms, the other for everything else and on wheels). The cases are worn and cracked, but have been used in this condition for several years without any problem.

$1,750.00, plus shipping from Dallas, for everything.

Write me if you are interested! Thanks...
David Hira
Magical Entertainer & Keynote Speaker
www.davidhira.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1467 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Grab this Chalet broom suspension !!! It's the best one made,in my opinion, and George isn't making them anymore. I used mine for 6 years at Caesar's Magical Empire, sometimes up to 7 shows a night and never had a problem. It's terrific!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
The most unique use I have seen of a broom type suspension is Nathan Burton's "Turbo 2000" - Giant Pink Hairdryer.

Has anyone one seen him perform this illusion?
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
Nathan uses the Gossamer Harness.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I quote my dad in the current issue of MAGIC...
why he did not use a broom...

"They belong in the broom closet and not onstage."
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Broom Suspension (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL