The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Broom Suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Steve Chezaday has used the broom suspension for years. And I think Devlin may have predated Connie Boyd.

I would stick with the regular boom suspension.

I guess the best model I ever heard of was Bill Neff's. You could stop at any point with going past coming back to lock in. Someone said the Pendragons came up with something similar.

Most people have gone to the Gossamer harness to use as it so much more comfortable for the girl.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I like Greg Gleason's version with a feather boa (click here for video). To me, suspensions like this are more impressive when the object is more flexible. Objects that shouldn't be able to hold weight seem more miraculous when they do suspend someone.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Ideas
1. Inflatable object.
2. Tree/ bush
3. Vacuum cleaner hose.
4. Mike stand - use it for mike until required.
5. Speaker stand.
6. ballon tower.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-05-01 01:36, wmhegbli wrote:
Never heard of this Connie Boyd person! What Magic magazine cover is he or she on?

I haven't heard about her in several years. She is an ex-dancer who developed a nice stage act in the '90s. She was Lance Burton's vacation replacement when he was performing at Folies Bergere.

She did have a cover on one of the magic magazines at that time, and she performed at one of the magic seminars that were held in Las Vegas.

A very nice dancer, her act was more dance than magic. Her finale at the time was a Don Wayne style "floating ball" where she floated along with the ball and "danced" in mid air.

Read more about her here and here
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-04-29 19:51, Impossible wrote:
How about using what "looks" like a big thick piece of rope? I was working on a rope idea to follow a sword basket routine, and later went to a "cranker" type levitation in a different area of the show, but I've always wondered what it would have looked like or how the effect would have matured, had I followed through with it. I still have the first sketches of it (very crude sketches) in one of my notebooks of stuff that never became a reality (or should I say "illusion" lol). Maybe the rope would have "risen" out of the basket while I (or an audience member) played a flute? Maybe it would have been done seriously, or maybe it would have been a comedy routine.

Naturally, the entire idea of the rope replacing the broom would create a zillion problems, especially if it were to rise from a basket, but I think it would look pretty cool, and sort of original, in a classic familiar sort of way. Curious to know what you guys think...

Sincerely,
Matt MattThomas@magicandillusion.com

Alan Wakeling designed one of these for Mark Wilson. I have no idea how it worked, but Mark told me about it in 1982. They brought a basket out on stage, a rope rose out of it. They did the aerial suspension, then the assistant did a 360 degree circle while suspended. Sounded magnificent to me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Bill,

It was magnificent. I saw it performed in a Mark Wilson produced show at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA. It was 1984.

The rotation looked a little too mechanical, as it was done without anyone touching the girl on the rope, but it was as you described.

Michael
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
I know how it works. There is a strong elf inside the basket turning the rope around 360 degrees. Gosh I forgot that I musn't be letting out secrets.
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Yes the Kirk Kirkam Neon suspension one is amazing... a friend of mine has it and I use it on occasion... It's really big though... If I were you I'd buy the harness (gossamer) and make a practical base and pole, anything that uses a pole would work but neon is the best in my opinion. It adds a chance for very strong dramatics and it looks kool.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Where do you get a neon that can fit a pole inside? Is this just made of white plastic sheet with a long thin neon inside?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Actually it is a pole and infront of the pole is a flourescent light one of those tubes. it has a gel (colored Plastic Tube outside ot it)
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1707 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
John-

I used a" Microphone" stand as a pole for this suspension-I took the hand held mike & used it earlier in the show etc & my assistant while putting gear away on stage loaded herself onto the pole which was centre back stage while I was performing-was so quick with her leaning 1 arm on pole , hypnotise & lift etc

The fact the stand was used during the performance baffled!!

-Very effective

-Brent
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-09 21:21, ABM wrote:
John-

I used a" Microphone" stand as a pole for this suspension-I took the hand held mike & used it earlier in the show etc & my assistant while putting gear away on stage loaded herself onto the pole which was centre back stage while I was performing-was so quick with her leaning 1 arm on pole , hypnotise & lift etc

-Very effective

-Brent

So did Doug Henning.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2004-06-09 21:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-09 21:21, ABM wrote:
John-

-Very effective

-Brent

So did Doug Henning.

So did my dad.He made a self-revolving one
as well. It scared me half to death. We
still have it. Its the only ever made.
Heavy and Big. We performed it at the
IBM Convention in 1985. My dad spoke on
that panel about Blackstone, Sr in honor
of his Birthday I believe. Whatever it was
we performed it there. Jay Marshall and
Tom Ogden was on the program we did.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Broom Suspension (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL