The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Murphy's Line Of Close Up Pads (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
castype
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of castype
I left mine rolled up for a day and didn't notice any issues. If it is any consolation, it arrived rolled up and went flat by reverse rolling it once.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Which way you roll the mat makes a BIG difference.

To prevent the fabric from wrinkling, roll it with the fabric on the OUTSIDE. (This is the same as rolling a painting -- roll it with the painted surface OUTSIDE.)

If you roll it with the fabric on the inside, it compresses, gets squashed and creates wrinkles.

It's kind of counterintuitive, since our impulse is to protect the nice surface by putting that surface on the inside, but compressing that surface can wreck it.

If you're skeptical about this, do a quick test: bend a finger and pay attention to your skin. On the outer edge, it stretches slightly to cope with the curve, whereas on the inside it folds up and compresses. Fabric behaves like your skin.
patapon
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
135 Posts

Profile of patapon
Patrick's Pro 1 Mat (14 X 17 inches) sells for $39 and the cheapest folding mat option costs an extra $15 (Total = $54).

Murphy's Standard Mat is larger 16 X 23 inches) and sells for only $15.36.

I've already read one post of someone who owned 3 Patrick mats that all fell apart after 1-2 years (surface disintegrated into powder like material), which Patrick was kind enough to replace; but no complaints so far about Murphy's mats.

Given the price difference, you could replace it 4 times over, if it actually was poor in quality, which from the 2 mats I have, certainly are not low in quality.

Perhaps Murphy's rep was just taking the cautious line when responding, much like how many fashion brands put "dry clean only" labels when their clothes can actually be machine washed with no problems.

Anyway, my original question posted here has been answered. I shall keep my mats flat wherever possible!
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2018, patapon wrote:
Patrick's Pro 1 Mat (14 X 17 inches) sells for $39 and the cheapest folding mat option costs an extra $15 (Total = $54).

Murphy's Standard Mat is larger 16 X 23 inches) and sells for only $15.36.

I've already read one post of someone who owned 3 Patrick mats that all fell apart after 1-2 years (surface disintegrated into powder like material), which Patrick was kind enough to replace; but no complaints so far about Murphy's mats.

Given the price difference, you could replace it 4 times over, if it actually was poor in quality, which from the 2 mats I have, certainly are not low in quality.

Perhaps Murphy's rep was just taking the cautious line when responding, much like how many fashion brands put "dry clean only" labels when their clothes can actually be machine washed with no problems.

Anyway, my original question posted here has been answered. I shall keep my mats flat wherever possible!

You just can't compare a China made product and the Pattrick's mat.
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
patapon
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
135 Posts

Profile of patapon
Of course you CAN compare... and there are at least 2 ways you CAN compare...

1. Murphy's pad is 3-4 times cheaper and does the job just as well for most of us. But if you think it doesn't do the job "just as well", that's ok.

2. I don't think Patrick's mats are 3-4 times better than Murphy's pad. But if you think they are 3-4 times "better", that's fine.

Also, most luxury brands today are made-in-China, under license and quality control, so your insinuation that anything "made-in-China" is inferior to something hand made by someone in USA is so misplaced. Also, this is a Murphy's branded product, not a made-in-3rd world country knock off, so it would be produced to the specifications of Murphy's. Unless of course, you are also of the opinion that Murphy's only sells cheap stuff that "cannot compare" to handcrafted products made by artisans such as Patrick.

I have not made an issue of Patrick's mats as I clearly stated that the user who complained about his mats falling apart was very happy that Patrick offered to replace them (this is just outstanding service), but you seem to have an issue with any mat that is not made by Patrick, which is what compelled me to reply to your post.

That being said, this shall be my last post on this topic since it is not what I originally wanted to know (that is, can I fold my mats).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Murphy's Line Of Close Up Pads (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL