The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Great UK Magic Dealers RIP OFF ! (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Over the last year I have noticed that almost every dealer has been charging VAT (TAX) on magic books, Merchant of Magic, World Magic Shop, Vanishing Inc.(This is Illegal)

The exception has been Alakazam but I am getting fed up of this Rip off

So I am going to report anyone that is not following the rules directly to HMRC

The Latest Scandal is once again Vanishing inc (over £40.00 more for the lastest Johnny Thompson Book)
And this is not the first time I have pointed this out to them so if you have already purchased direct from them and you are in the UK ,

make sure you contact them and ask for a Full Refund of the 20% VAT you have been overcharged by.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
The Johnny Thompson Book is out of stock - so no way to see if there is VAT being added
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, The Duster wrote:
The Johnny Thompson Book is out of stock - so no way to see if there is VAT being added


Alakazam has it with No VAT for £214

Vanishing has it for £244 the extra is the VAT

Don't believe me add The Streets by John Archer No VAT should be changed as a book by once again extra 20% is changed I pointed this out to them over a year ago
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It's hard to say that £30 extra is not just a higher price, rather than it being a lower price and £50 of VAT

I'm not saying you're wrong... but it's a shame you can't basket it and see

If anyone bought it they should see if they've been charged vat and ask for it back

Not saying they have done this
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Ok I don't understand VAT

Secrets is their own book and it has this in the basket

Total: £41.50
(includes £3.11 VAT)

Why isn't it 20%
davidredfearn
View Profile
Regular user
London
168 Posts

Profile of davidredfearn
If anyone is paying a Vat bill, they have to charge VAT at source.
DR
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Seems to be less than 10% on all their books

Is this because it's a us website and se up wrong for the uk side of the website?

And it should be zero VAT for U.K. Sales whether they meet the VAT threashold or not
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, The Duster wrote:
Seems to be less than 10% on all their books

Is this because it's a us website and se up wrong for the uk side of the website?

And it should be zero VAT for U.K. Sales whether they meet the VAT threashold or not


Correct any printed material is Zero VAT

Try and purchase same book at Alakazam and that's what it says

I am fed up of this rip off anyone that has already purchased should insist they refund this amount
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Is does not matter what book if you have purchased from the check your invoice and ask for a refund
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18594 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As far as my experience has been, merchant of magic don't charge VAT on books...
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, davidredfearn wrote:
If anyone is paying a Vat bill, they have to charge VAT at source.
DR


Incorrect

Read the official government Web site

No VAT should be changed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio......d-matter
davidredfearn
View Profile
Regular user
London
168 Posts

Profile of davidredfearn
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, JackMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, davidredfearn wrote:
If anyone is paying a Vat bill, they have to charge VAT at source.
DR


Incorrect

Read the official government Web site

No VAT should be changed

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio......d-matter



Ok thanks, just finished adding up my refunds from 30 yrs magic books, WOW 7,500 quid, beer coming your way
DR
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2376 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
We don't charge VAT on books but if a book comes with video instructions how to use it then it would attract VAT if it had written instructions it would not..

ebooks attract VAT also.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
We don't charge VAT on books but if a book comes with video instructions how to use it then it would attract VAT if it had written instructions it would not..

ebooks attract VAT also.


Does that mean if it has a streaming video tutorial it would have VAT on the whole package [book and streaming]?

Or is it just if it comes with a DVD... ?

Anyone have any idea how VanishInc got to their less than 10% VAT - as it should be 20% or zero [in my mind]
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I have just checked the invoice from my last purchase with them Secrets Book and I was charged 20% VAT !!

Trouble was this was last September so I guess it's too late now to ask for the VAT back

Anyway I will think carefully before I purchase a book from them again
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2376 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
We don't charge VAT on books but if a book comes with video instructions how to use it then it would attract VAT if it had written instructions it would not..

ebooks attract VAT also.


Does that mean if it has a streaming video tutorial it would have VAT on the whole package [book and streaming]?

Or is it just if it comes with a DVD... ?

Anyone have any idea how VanishInc got to their less than 10% VAT - as it should be 20% or zero [in my mind]


Streaming / download videos and ebooks attract vat as would a book with a dvd.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Martin.Lester wrote:
I have just checked the invoice from my last purchase with them Secrets Book and I was charged 20% VAT !!

Trouble was this was last September so I guess it's too late now to ask for the VAT back

Anyway I will think carefully before I purchase a book from them again


I'm pretty sure if they made a mistake they will pay it back now [not too late]

I'm pretty sure as they are breaking the law they will pay it back now [not too late]

It's just interesting you paid 20% VAT - and currently they are charging customers 7.5% VAT on books [well Secrets and the other books I've checked]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I've worked it out
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Vanish Inc are saying that they don't buy very much stock [which can't be true]

And so rather than pay the correct 20% VAT on all qualifying sales

They are paying a flat rate VAT of 7.5% on ALL sales

That is books, dvds, everything

So for most their stock you are paying less VAT than you should, but on books you are paying extra

I'm pretty sure they are not doing this correctly as they MUST be buying stock in - this is for businesses that don't have much VAT off set
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
This is their No Box price

Total: £49.75
(includes £3.73 VAT)

But all their prices come up with 7.5% VAT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Great UK Magic Dealers RIP OFF ! (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL