The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper Silver Coins - How They're Made (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
How are these coins made? I imagine each coin is ground down halfway and then they are GLUED together? or soldered somehow?

I WISH I could make my own, but will definitely leave that to the experts out there. I'm really curious, because I've dropped mine on hard floors several times and not once have the separated. I'm trying to prepare myself for the repair should the need arise. Has your C/S ever split?
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
12 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
If the right glue has been used they will never be separate altough they even fail on the floor.
EasyK
View Profile
New user
The secret is in one of my
77 Posts

Profile of EasyK
2 component glue or whats it called. Reacting when touching and melting the pieces together almost. It's 100 of different glues. But you can glue a hook to a car roof and lift the car when the glue dries. So I don't think they ever will separate.
'My brain is the key that sets me free.'
- Harry Houdini
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Only had one separate in 44 yrs. It was a sassco and it was glued. I used Superglue to put it back together and never had another issue with it.

There were several people making them that soldered them. The advantage was that the coin did not sound dead like most of them do. The C/S rang like a regular coin.
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
12 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
That's possible with some glues
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8725 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Just get one from Johnson's Coins, they are well made for a great price. I still have one of the original ones I bought from them decades ago with no problem.

I did have one come apart on me once, a cheaper one I picked up somewhere. And like mentioned above, I just used some Crazy Glue to it and it was never a problem again.

But to Norm's OP, the coins are made exactly as you suspect here. Pretty easy to do, if you have the right tools to do it. But better to just get yourself one, no fuss/no muss to it. When you get one, I have a nice routine using the coin... Smile

*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Thanks for the input everyone. The other reason I'm asking is because I may have a custom C/S coin I want done. I have access to a machine shop and was considering trying myself. The set I want to make is not something I can just buy. I know I can get some custom work done with Lassen and others, but in the interest of saving a few bucks, I was curious.

Nice Video Mb! Thanks for sharing.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The problem is that the coin can move int he process of machining it down. That wil cause scratches in the face and depending on the machinist could totally ruin the coins you are having made.
an old machinist I knew used to ask for at least 3 coins of each in case something happened during the process.
Usually he would give the other coins back. One time he only gave me the gimmicked coin back and showed me the ruined coins.
It is worth it if you have a good machinist that wants to try it out. My friend did not charge me for the gimmick coins he made for me as he said ti was fun making them.

Easier to buy them if you can .....fun to see the process if you can also.
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
98 Posts

Profile of Threecard
I recently had some C/S coins made by Johnson Products. I supplied the 64 Kennedy's (just two), they supplied the EP's, and they are perfect! Had one made silver head/copper tail and the other copper head/silver tail. Since I supplied the 64 Kennedy's they were only $29 each, and did I mention they are perfect?
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Threecard. this is the what I like to hear. I actually tried emailing Johnson Products last week but their website didn't take my request. I'm calling them, and this will solve my issue no problem! thanks for the heads up. I'm going to show you guys what I get made once it's done.
Why.So.Serious?
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Why.So.Serious?
Threecard,

How long did it take for Johnson to finish your special order? Thanks
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
As for my order, I called Johnson, and they told me IF they can do it (they are checking with the machinist), then it will take them 2 to 3 weeks because of some event coming up. That's not terrible IMO.
Why.So.Serious?
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Why.So.Serious?
Wow 2-3 weeks is not bad at all. Thanks
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
98 Posts

Profile of Threecard
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2018, Why.So.Serious? wrote:
Threecard,

How long did it take for Johnson to finish your special order? Thanks

When I first asked Kathy, she said they had just finished making a run of CS coins on it would be awhile before they made them again. I wasn't really in a hurry, so by the time I sent the Kennedy's it was the holiday (2017) season. I sent them on 11/17/17 and received them back on 1/6/18. Not bad considering...
Threecard
View Profile
New user
Sunny Arizona
98 Posts

Profile of Threecard
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2018, Norm wrote:
Threecard. this is the what I like to hear. I actually tried emailing Johnson Products last week but their website didn't take my request. I'm calling them, and this will solve my issue no problem! thanks for the heads up. I'm going to show you guys what I get made once it's done.

Looking forward to seeing the results!!
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Mine was about a month for the two custom C/S coins I had Johnson make for me as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper Silver Coins - How They're Made (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL