The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paper Is Dead? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweet Home Alabama
398 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
For those that haven't seen this yet... It has been said that paper is dead. It’s only 39 seconds so please watch it all...the irony won't be lost.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2681 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Smile
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26894 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Someone doesn't know how to use the three seashells. bidet funnet haw haw haw.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Must have paper because I do close-up magic with paper money, bills, especially Dai Vernon's bill trick.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26894 Posts

That the item with two paper clips and a rubber band from The Vernon Book of Magic?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That the item with two paper clips and a rubber band from The Vernon Book of Magic?

No, it's a different one from a different book. No clips or rubber bands at all. The one I use is where a customer goes to a nightclub and gets short-changed although inadvertently. To do the trick, the bills have to be prepared beforehand.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26894 Posts

The Stars of Magic book has a trick called "Bamboozle" that sounds like that plot.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Looks like you have a very good Library, Jonathan. Any favorite books? From my shelf, I guess they would be the Encyclopedia of Coin Magic by JJ Bobo, and the Magic Digest by George Anderson from which I got an excellent Rope-and-Ring trick that I've put to good use.

I've had an okito coin box for a long time but I've never used it. Toyed with it many times but I've never actually used it. Recently watched somebody do an okito routine which he said came from a book by Ed Marlo. That surprised me because I thought Marlo specialized in only card tricks but evidently he was good at coins too.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I'm still laughing at the OP. Lynn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26894 Posts

Once upon a time, while reading a story by Borges, I went looking for that French translation of the Arabian Nights to check that tale he mentioned.

I am reading Christopher Priest’s book The Adjacent.

Maybe Pat Pages last book...thinking about it just to clear the air for doing his bill change trick.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The reason I use Dai Vernon's Bills trick is because it has a good story-line accompanying it. And that Plot-line is well-suited for the effects that happen. In the Patrick Page Bills that you mention, Jonathan, does it include a plot-line too?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26894 Posts

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5138 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm the Creative Director at a graphic design firm which creates publications and websites, so as you can imagine, this discussion comes up often.

I think paper will not totally die, but its use is sadly diminishing. I believe a lot of us will miss the tactile nature of paper, in a book, or a magazine, or even playing cards. But as a magician I will miss the permanence that ink on paper suggests. Digital expressions don't compare. At least not yet. One can do the Princess Card Trick in person and sell it as a miracle. Seeing it on a computer screen reduces it to digital wizardry whether that is the method or not.

I want to keep the paper industry thriving, and here's the reason why. Responsible paper companies in the US, and perhaps in other countries, purchase the land they operate on. They selectively-cut the land (not clear cut, which means trash everything), to harvest the pulp, but then they do something very special. They replant with saplings to repopulate the areas they harvest. It's farming. And its keeping their lands fertile and their businesses lucrative.

But here's where economics and the green factor comes in. Paper is a reusable and recyclable product. It is also biodegradable. Both of those points are very important. And the kicker...when a paper company buys land, they selectively cut it, replant it, and ensure it is sustainable. Verses a developer coming in and clear-cutting, erecting ugly brick boxes no one wants to live in or see, and preventing the land from being land again.

For me, it's not a difficult choice. Screw plastic. Paper, paper, paper.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On May 2, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Here he is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZwiWB0ZPXY

Thanks, Jonathan, for the link. Certainly impressive is that Patrick Page effect. I'll confine myself to the Dai Vernon bills for the time being, but I'll keep Patrick's effect in mind.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Another good routine I often do with Paper is Paper Pellet Matrix by Amadeo.
RMV
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of RMV
In addition to magic, I do some glass blowing. We use wet newspaper to help shape the molten glass. It is getting harder to find newspaper. One of my favorite tricks is Gene Anderson’s torn and restored newspaper. Haven’t done it in some time. I wonder if audiences will continue to relate to this classic? I guess the same goes for rubber bands. If newspapers become a thing of the past, most folks won’t have a reason to care about rubber bands.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26894 Posts

Quote:
On May 24, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
Another good routine I often do with Paper is Paper Pellet Matrix by Amadeo.

From the Frank Garcia book? Or maybe form Sachs?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
No, not from Garcia or Sachs. All I can recall is that the Pellet routine came from the same book that had the routine with the Soda Cracker. It's the one where you use a felt pen to draw an arrow on the cracker and then hold the cracker at opposite corners--no, not horizontally but instead at diagonal corners so you can use your other hand to pivot or swivel the cracker. The effect is that the arrow sometimes points in the wrong direction or right direction according to the patter. So the only way I can answer your question is by mentioning the soda cracker which was in the same book as the pellet routine.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Oh,and don't forget Clippo.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Although the matrix done with Coins looks much more classy, I still prefer doing the matrix with Paper-pellets because of its impromptu-ness of using paper-napkins available right there at the restaurant table. To me, the big advantage is that impromptu-ness.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Paper Is Dead? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL