The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 30 cents a page :) (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It's far too cheap

After the first wave - it will become pennies a sheet...

Why is that a problem [?]

because it will be cheap enough to become the norm - this will mean it will become ubiquitous, and whether you use it or not... it will become such an obvious 'guess' that any kind of billet/pad/pre-show work that has the spec using pen/pencil/finger to write on paper will no longer have any innocence

it's good though as it will mean mentalists will have to move with the times... propless here we come
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Not unless they can get rid of or reduce the mammoth size cable/interface attached to the paper.
I have a clear 3.5 x 5 clipboard for just these reasons. Using index cards.

Return of the chalkboard here we go!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I would have thought it would be 'non-existant'

any note book size [or smaller] and it's wi-fi to your reader
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Any issues regarding people thinking this is the method used are purely theatrical and can be solved with proper attention to presentation and scripting.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I see no issues here. Bigger issues with embedded electronics in pens/pencils in my opinion.

Why?

The paper used by anyone "can" (and perhaps this will become "should" at some point) be torn up. If you can imagine a near future where the conductive material feels exactly like paper, including during tearing, AND can transmit without cords, well, I'll have to disagree. Flexible plastic sheets with embedded electronics will be cheaper and last longer.

So, tearing paper (index cards, etc.) will have an inherent rationale, thus making older mentalism methods even more valuable.

One can't tear up pens/pencils, so I think that is more the issue (just use crayons).

Just my thoughts.

Best,
Lem
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
In Japan they released a clear film that does the same thing about 2 years ago and were marketing to corporations. Which could cause a few new issues when having something written down. Just saying.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Err my point was

Once it becomes an every day item [like a mobile phone] then it becomes too easy for the spec to think it was because the 'wi-fi paper' [or whatever it will be called when it becomes an everyday and everybody knows product]

It then won't matter if you rip up the paper, it will still be known as a method. So much so - that it's an easy explaination... so even if you didn't use it, it would taint the well

This isn't going to make older methods more deceptive

It's going to make newer mentalists less transcriptive and more propless
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I'm still waiting for the paperless society.

Totally agree with the Witch Doctor.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2018, Jerry wrote:

Totally agree with the Witch Doctor.

Yes of course you / I do ... today

But this thread is about something being very cheap – as if that was a good thing – unfortunately the price will come down as this gets picked up by more people

So it would work today… But if you were to meet yourself in 20 years’ time - you probably wouldn't think that [things move fast, so it could be a few years’ time until it becomes a standard item]

There are loads of effects’ you couldn't do now and have much chance of them working on but a very few un-savvy people [yes I mean very dumb people]… but 50+ years ago would blow people’s minds [yes I mean the most intelligent people of that time]
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
It's not the method that blows people away. It's the presentation/context.

Even if this stuff becomes completely normal, the presentation and context of a performance will determine whether it fools/engages/entertains, not the method for the most part.

So I'm not worried at all. If anything, it will just make more people more conscious of their scripting.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Looks like this is actually an really old topic.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 30 cents a page :) (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL