The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Duke! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Hey guys,

I have finally finished working on my newest ebook (you can get the previous one here: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......between/ ) and I have three review copies!

Here's the effect:

"Four people select, and return, cards from a shuffled deck. The card cheat then gives the deck a few more shuffles and cuts. He then explains the concept of a “double duke”: cheating at cards by dealing a player a good hand in hopes that he bets high, while at the same time dealing yourself a better hand so that you always win.

Instead of confusing matters by dealing actual hands, the card cheat promises to stack the four previously selections in one player’s hand and each time to give his own hand a card one higher. In the first round, the spectator gets her selected card (i.e. a Four) dealt to her hand, and the card cheat deals himself a Five. This is repeated for the three other selections. And, for the fifth card, a King is dealt down, and finally topped by an Ace!"

If you're into gambling-themed tricks, this one is definitely for you! And, it's EASY!

"Double Duke" is now my favorite opener. Why? It involves four spectators, quickly showcases an amazing skill of controlling not four, but ten cards, and clearly establishes you as an expert card cheat.

There are three versions explained, and two of them... You have to check it yourself to really appreciate how sneaky they are!

So, if you want a review copy, PM me or e-mail me: mwkociolek@gmail.com

Thanks!

Best,
Mike
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I have received Double Duke from Mike as a review copy. I am familiar with Mike's previous release In Between which I bought and liked.

So, what do I think about Double Duke?

First of all, the manuscript is very clear and to the point. It describes the effect clearly and the explanation is easy to follow.

I personally loved many things about the effect including:

1- It works well as a gambling/card games demonstration
2- No knowledge of card games or poker hands like many of the effects out there
3- The impossibility builds to a great climax
4- Routine adapts to a multitude of presentations which makes it very versatile
5- Involves multiple spectators at once

Technically speaking, the basic handling requires a specific sleight that may not easily be within the grasps of beginners or even seasoned performers that have not put the work into it.

But do not worry since Darwin Ortiz and Mike are there to not only streamline the method, but also make the presentation stronger and easier to follow. No tough or knacky sleights in this version. This is my preferred handling and Mike has already adapted it as the version he performs most.

The reset will require you to go through it once or twice to get the hang of it. Honestly, it is not something I would want to reset. I agree with Mike when he says it is a great opener because it is. There are other reasons one would want to reset and Mike discusses them but they do not apply to me personally.

Also, let me say that a setup is required which may put some people off. It definitely does not dissaude me from it.

Of course, with proper routining, one can use it anywhere in a set. And Mike discusses other variations which definitely adds options.

The thing I applaud Mike on the most is the meticulous crediting at the end of the manuscript. I am happy to see someone doing their research for the student that wants to hunt further ideas and explore the art.

I will be testing this out more and work it more so I am comfortable with the angle I want to take on with this routine.

But overall, if you are looking for a routine that involves multiple spectators, opens up a lot of room for presentation, easy to follow and understand even for those who have zero background in playing cards, this is a very solid routine. Of course, you should not mind the initial setup.

Great work Mike.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I also received a review copy of Double Duke, and although I'm not familiar with In Between, I will probably be checking it out as well.

I agree with what ash2arani said. Although I am very comfortable with the required sleight in the first handling, I also prefer the second handling as it is more streamlined. I do however feel like the third handling has some merit as well and may well be the handling that I would end up using.

I would consider this a pretty easy routine, but it is not self working. You will need to be comfortable handling cards and comfortable with the action required, although not difficult. But as this is a gambling demonstration type of routine, you should probably be fairly smooth with a deck of cards. I think this is a good routine and if you like the premise, then it is worth consideration.

Robert
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Thank you for your reviews, gentlemen! I'm glad you liked "Double Duke"!

This was not mentioned, but you can show the deck to be well mixed.

Mike
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Mike kindly sent me a review copy and here is my honest review.

I absolutely loved his previous effect In Between (if you do not have this, get it!), so I had pretty high expectations for Double Duke. While I did not find this quite on the same caliber as In Between, this is a very strong effect in its own right and is most definitely worth a look.

Its an interesting premise... performing a gambling demonstration without using an actual poker hand in the routine. Since Mike presents this as how a card shark practices, in that context it makes sense and in turn appeals to wider audience.

Three versions are taught and all require a hefty setup. That will turn some people away, you just have to gauge for yourself if the payoff is worth the compromise. The second version, with the tip from Darwin Ortiz, is the best in my opinion as it eliminates a sleight and streamlines the handling, though I'm glad Mike offered a few different solutions as variety is always welcome.

You will need to be comfortable with a common sleight, which on its own is not difficult, but when done in succession could present some issues for some, though nothing that couldn't be overcome with a little practice.

One drawback for me was I personally felt that the routine lacked a true climax. The finale of dealing a King and topping it with an Ace, while aesthetically pleasing, is still essentially the same outcome as the previous four selections.

Having said that, the aspect that makes this so powerful is that the performer genuinely never knows what cards the spectator selects. To have the apparent ability to control multiple freely chosen cards, that the performer does not know, from various positions of the deck, while mixing the cards is a very strong selling point of this routine. Similar to In Between, due to a clever principle used, the effect just appears to work itself out. I consider this to be one of those effects that plays out even stronger than it initially reads in the text.

I also have to say bravo to Mike for the staggering amount of crediting he has done. That speaks to his character and appreciation for the history of the art and I can only imagine how difficult it was to pull that all together.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a gambling demonstration with a unique premise that will fool and entertain, look no further!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Duke! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL