The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » David Blaine (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1884 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I saw it last night. It was disgusting but then he has never impressed me. I am not his target audience.

His attempt at getting Jimmy to choose "The needle and thread trick" was a pitiful failure.

His load into his mouth was obvious and the way he had to stop talking directly after the load spoke volumes.

If he had to give the spectator directions non-verbally, he should have worked on that more or got a mime to coach him because that looked awful.

The saliva soaked card revelation was gross.

"Woeful times are these."

-Mary Mowder
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Glad I didn't watch it.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I forgot to mention what appears to be animal cruelty to the frog. While I can't be sure that this is really just geek animal swallowing, it does appear to be and if so, I have to think that the skin of an amphibian would be more sensitive than a rat (which I also think would be animal cruelty).

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Interesting presentation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Loved it!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The experience of seeing his show live is unique in this day and age. The feel in the crowd, the way they react, all very different from any show I have ever attended. This effect is perfect in that setting. Maybe not the best choice for a TV segment, but it does help assure he gets press.

Seems a shame the initial live shock of "he is really doing this" is ruined by it being common knowledge.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Do you mean the specific routine and what will happen or the method?

-Mary Mowder
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6761 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
I saw it last night. It was disgusting but then he has never impressed me. I am not his target audience.

His attempt at getting Jimmy to choose "The needle and thread trick" was a pitiful failure.

His load into his mouth was obvious and the way he had to stop talking directly after the load spoke volumes.

If he had to give the spectator directions non-verbally, he should have worked on that more or got a mime to coach him because that looked awful.

The saliva soaked card revelation was gross.

"Woeful times are these."

-Mary Mowder

He is not a very good magician. Never has been.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I am not his target audience.

I guess I am. I've seen him do this twice live, and to me, it's an amazing piece of theatrical magic. Absolutely unique.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
Do you mean the specific routine and what will happen or the method?

-Mary Mowder

All of it.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
173 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Count me as a fan. I find him entertaining and unique. Opinions may differ as to his technical ability, but he's certainly, at the least, "proficient", and when dealing with lay audiences, that's really all that matters. Back in the '90s he played a big role in elevating magicians from the stereotype of the guy on stage sawing women in half to someone on the street who is more relatable. I think he deserves more credit than he gets. Any magician/performer who has remained in the public eye for the past 20 years has something going for him. Of course, YMMV. Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2818 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron, I agree. While not the type stuff I would perform it does fit him well.
I have always loved watching the audience reaction. To me that is his show.

But I will admit during the above act I did have to look away a time or two.Smile

Tom
Each Day Is a Blessing or a Lesson - Most Are Both

www.tomboleware.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

In some respects, I agree with this; but what David has done is to make himself a category separate from "magician." If you want to hire a magician, there are many options. But if you want a "David Blaine," then you have to hire him. He has carved a very specific niche for himself that audiences enjoy, and for a working performer, that's everything.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yep and isn't that the ultimate goal anyhow?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6761 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:

In some respects, I agree with this; but what David has done is to make himself a category separate from "magician." If you want to hire a magician, there are many options. But if you want a "David Blaine," then you have to hire him. He has carved a very specific niche for himself that audiences enjoy, and for a working performer, that's everything.

Agreed. Well said.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1372 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I really like David Blaine... in spite of the fact that I hate the geeky stuff. On an earlier Fallon show, he did a nice 5 card mind reading trick. No geeky stuff, and very strong. However, perhaps because of Houdini himself, there has been a strong appeal broadly for geeky and sometimes dangerous stuff (I abhor anything to do with the bullet catch). Remember that Houdini was once the "King of Cards". Would we know of him, if he only had kept to this script? Perhaps, this is also part of the appeal of Penn and Teller (Penn, in fact, is a fire-eater)! I also don't care for animal cruelty, which also has a long history in magic. However, one of Blaine's tricks is to bring a dead fly back to life, yuck! Lynn
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2018, lynnef wrote:
However, one of Blaine's tricks is to bring a dead fly back to life, yuck! Lynn

LOL, I guess the "however" means that is one in the animal kindness category?

-Mary Mowder
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2018, lynnef wrote:
one of Blaine's tricks is to bring a dead fly back to life, yuck!
Lynn

While we're at it, along similar lines of what you said, what was the name of the lady-performer at the Coney Island Sideshow who wore Ear-rings that were actual live-cockroaches? They were alive so the Ear-rings constantly wiggled.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I read the fly thing was actually a classic magician (Blackstone Sr.?) who was frustrated that he could never figure out a way to show it to a large scale audience.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » David Blaine (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL