The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Gimmick Making (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
I have an idea for a coin gimmick I'd like to try and get made, but I have no idea where to start.
I know I could probably contact schoolcraft or Lassen etc. but they are always busy and I don't want to pay a fortune to test the gimmick/effect.
Any ideas of how I could go about trying to get a test/prototype made?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Or contact Roy Kueppers
https://www.roykueppers.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Unless the coin you want to do could be made with a simple drill and few lathe operations, or you will make a large quantity, the set up cost of the fixture and machines (that are fixed cost), will be high for sure.
Tango is another option.
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
Thanks for the info. I think I'll give Roy Kueppers a call and see what he can do.
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Johnson does custom work as well. I had a set of coins for Xchange made up after getting the effect. The ones that came with it didn't sound like coins. The custom ones Johnson made feel and sound like coins.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
I have called Roy, seems like he'll be able to help me out; thanks for the help Café
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
So I have been trying to work with Roy, but he is pretty unresponsive (I am sure he's constantly busy) but I think I may need to start looking at alternatives.

Has anyone tried the 'Submit a Trick' things they have on magic sites like Penguin/Ellusionist/Theory 11 etc. should I try that approach?
Should I hold out and hope Roy gets back to me?
Should I try other coin gimmick creators?

Thanks for the advice!
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Check with the folks at Johnson Magic.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
I'll try calling Johnson, their contact form doesn't seem to be working.
Thanks
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
You might be surprised what you can do with a jewelers saw, a tiny lathe or foredom handpiece attachment.
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
There is prob a machine shop in your area. Find one and check em out. If they are cool and can think outside the box (many of their type do) will be able to turn your dream into reality --- and prob have a lot of fun in the process.

Good Luck!
farmerkarl
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of farmerkarl
Oh wow BritishMagic I thought you were in England but you are in AZ. If you can't find someone in Phoenix I can maybe point you to someone in Tucson.
BritishMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix. Az
187 Posts

Profile of BritishMagic
If you have someone in Tucson that could do it, I'd take the drive.

Do you think a machine shop could do what I need? I have heard making coin gimmicks is time-consuming and an acquired skill (not something that everyone can do), especially if you want a good end result. If you think that's possible I may look around that angle.

Yah, currently living in Az!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin Gimmick Making (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL