The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Requirements for doing a show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
S.A.M. and I.B.M. both offer Insurance.

IBM is only 111 US Dollars if you make under $25,000 through your magic. I am only a make part of my income from magic. Most comes from my counseling gig(s).

For those that make more and are a member of IBM you can check their website or the linking ring.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
There was a case many years ago of a Manchester, UK entertainer doing a houseparty. He struck and shattered a rather expensive light fitting on the ceiling. Obviously he offered to pay for the lightfitting, but the Client then informed him it was one of an exclusive set that ran through the entire house, and . . . you've guessed it, she wanted the whole lot replacing. In recent years we have shattered a fluorescent tube in a hall, and also my heavy handedness broke a door lock on a church hall. Needless to say we paid for both straight out of our pockets, - but when you enter people's homes (which we no longer do houseparties), then you are entering in my opinion, a far greater litigious environment. This concerns damage to property of course. Insurance for damage to the person (a child) must always be held,and anyone not doing so is a very foolish entertainer indeed. Having said this, I believe that 'duty of care' is carried across all responsible adults present at parties, and you should not assume full responsibility of children under any circumstances.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
That's right Ace, On my contract it states that toddlers must be kept on Mum and Dad's lap and that I am not responsible for the toddlers safety. if you've told the booker and parents to keep toddlers under control and they fail to do it, and then a toddlers runs into your performance area, you not seeing them turn round knock them over and they get hurt, it's not your fault.

However if you get a helper up turn round with a wand and poke his eye, then you are to blame.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 07:55, drosenbe0813 wrote:

Mine costs about $700 a year, but gives me peace of mind.

Holy Cow.

If anyone wants to venture from IBM and SAM, I would suggest Clowns of the US. No, you don't have to be a clown, just a performer. It is about $165 a year and EACH OCCURENCE is insured to $1,000,000.

They pay without hassle. I have a friend too, you can call him a friend of a friend (if you consider me your friend) that dropped a free standing latter on a womans head...and they payed no questions asked. In fact, it was so trouble free, he may do it again.

Contact Stephanie Weiss at 715-246-8908 or Clowns of the US, found somewhere on the web.

-P

You can contact Al Fellerman or Stephanie Weiss at 715
Über goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 06:44, L7 wrote:
SNIP
Do you have any disclaimers or anything legal to cover you incase something is to go wrong? like if while doing a trick you accidently hurt a child or break something?

Hi L7, I notice you're from Australia. There is a policy available from an insurance company in Melbourne that gives you $20,000,000 coverage from $170 per year. It covers you and volunteers, assistants being extra and the policy rises naturally depending on the nature of your act. I think that's the cheapest that's available here.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think most public places already have insurance (schools, daycares, libraries).
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
They do AND their insurance usually covers the performer.

In fact, often YOUR insurance doesn't cover any accidents that don't happen in private homes, hotels, restaurants etc since it is PUBLIC liability insurance.

However, most still have the policy, often written into local laws to cover everyone's tail!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
My insurance covers me everywhere, as for the venues having their own insurance, yes they do, but they prefer you to have your own so that if any accident is your fault they don't have to claim on theirs.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"In fact, often YOUR insurance doesn't cover any accidents that don't happen in private homes, hotels, restaurants etc since it is PUBLIC liability insurance"

Being very careful in everything for sure.

I've noticed the fine print in just our home insurance now. I realize the IBM and SAM is only for public appearences (doubt I will ever do any public venues) so where can I get insurance that will cover me in the homes on private property?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Requirements for doing a show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL