The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » I need help identifying an old trick. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FreddieLeeFroth
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of FreddieLeeFroth
I recently went through some old decks of cards that have been in the cupboard for 20 years and came across a set-up 'marked' deck that I'm struggling to identify. The deck is marked with large symbols denoting the value of the card directly facing the back that is marked. So, as I spread through the face down deck I would stop at the card marked 'Six of Diamonds' and the last card pushed over in my right hand is the Six of Diamonds, rather than the Six of Diamonds being the 'marked' card. I seem to recall the routine had an element of comedy, maybe a sucker trick of some kind, and for some reason I keep thinking of the name 'Cagliostro's Spectacles', but could possibly be getting confused with something else. Does anybody recognize this effect?
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
"Cagliostro's Spectacles" is a different trick. I think the deck you have may be Roy Johnson's "S.U.M.: The Set-Up Marked Deck."
FreddieLeeFroth
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Cameron. No, it definitely wasn't the SUM deck, it was a one-trick 'joke' deck. The magician would put on some 'special' spectacles (Hence my confusion with Cagliostro) to supposedly identify the markings (which were blatantly obvious to the audience) ... as the routine developed, the sucker aspect was that the spectator assumed he knew what the next card was but was wrong, with the magician knowing the card all along ... or something like that? Btw, where would I find the "Cagliostro's Spectacles" routine you mention?
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Cagliostro's Spectacles

Phoenix Issue #45, page 185.

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/bo......ht=32797

Dave
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Are the marks hidden or in plain view?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
There aren't any marks for Cagliostro's Spectacles.

Dave
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, Boomer wrote:
There aren't any marks for Cagliostro's Spectacles

Right, Cameron Roat already pointed this out.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
FreddieLeeFroth
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Thanks, Dave. That's really jogged my memory seeing the name Bruce Elliot. I'm pretty sure that the routine I'm looking for was a comedy/sucker version of Cagliostro's Spectacles published in an edition of The Linking Ring sometime in the 1960/70's.
FreddieLeeFroth
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Nicolini, the marks in the routine I'm talking about are blatantly obvious big black markings, like the marks used in the John Cornelius packet trick 'Marked Cards'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » I need help identifying an old trick. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL