The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mind Power Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
I've never really liked the MPD, although in the right hands it can be devestating. I guess it was because I thought the ads for the MPD were deceptive, leaving a bad taste in my mouth - they all seem to say that you can name the thought-of card(s) immediately, or with a bit of concentration, depending on your performing style.

They all fail to mention that you had to go on a bit of a fishing expedition. The method is much more devious than this, but in the spectator's mind it seems that it's not much more than picking a number between one and fifty-two, then having someone guess it by successively narrowing it down with questions like is it between one and twenty-six, is it even, etc.

IMHO, Jay Sankey's Astral Projection is a much stronger effect in this genre. Bicycle backs, completely free choice and spec can change mind as often as desired, and you end clean. Best of all, no twenty-one questions*, and it's repeatable.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=366

* Not to imply that you need to ask twenty-one questions to divine the thought-of card in in MPD - you can do it with as few as two, but it may need as may as 6 hints from your spec.
rami7007
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of rami7007
I bought it some time ago.... The main thing in this trick is presentation. If you have good pressentation that it is one amazing trick!! I have done it to some poeple multiple times and every time their shocked cause its a different card every single time!!! But make sure they know what the suits are LOL. its like , "Hmmmm, let me concentrate... OH! The 8 of spades!!!!"
"Um I'm not sure what the spades are... I think it was the doggy paws or something...." LOL
grant_gilson
View Profile
New user
Orange, Texas
64 Posts

Profile of grant_gilson
Astral Projection seems to be sold out. Looks like a great effect. Seems you need some bold moves to pull it off though...
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-05-09 08:12, Mushu wrote:

"....IMHO, Jay Sankey's Astral Projection is a much stronger effect in this genre. Bicycle backs, completely free choice and spec can change mind as often as desired, and you end clean. Best of all, no twenty-one questions*, and it's repeatable.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=366 ...."

I've just viewed the video.
Does the explanation video show all that is necessary, or is there something else needed or done, like prior knowledge or some other weird unmentioned slight?
I've been suckered so many times that I am the quintessential skeptic. It looks impossible, but I did notice one thing, the QH is missing on his 2nd spread before the card is named at the end, so the spectator in the given example could not have selected it (QH).

Please explain if you can. I like what I see, but do not want to suffer another disappointment.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
Astral Projection requires no prior knowledge, and a sleight (if you can call it that) so simple that it makes a DL seem like the Pass in comparison. There is a bit of misdirection required, but it's explained very well in the explanation video, and it's nowhere as bold as Blizzard.
bofx
View Profile
Special user
France
509 Posts

Profile of bofx
Astral Projection is not difficult but the routine contains some illogism.
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
chriscox
View Profile
Regular user
London
174 Posts

Profile of chriscox
On an interesting note Derren doesn't smoke either...yet still does this trick!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Like??

Richard, if you think about it, the principle is the same as that of a classic effect, but magnified.

It's simple and direct, like all his stuff. PM me if you want as I cannot say anythng more here.
Yours,

Ivan
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Quote:
On 2004-05-11 10:06, chriscox wrote:
On an interesting note Derren doesn't smoke either...yet still does this trick!

Yes Chris, it is an interesting note. But as I said, I can think of many other ways to produce the card without even suggesting to the audience that I am a smoker, which of course I am not. After all, image is everything, right? Smile
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
509 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
To all the guys saying "i don't smoke" neither does Derren and he says this in Pure Effect, remember the old line about being actors.

Curtis.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
This is a very strong effect. However, it should not be presented as a card trick. The cards are secondary to the effect. Use 3 people. It is much more effective than with one person. You must have the spectator believe you are really trying to read their mind. This is not for the beginner as audience management is everything. I always have a problem with the last card and have to spread the deck and take out the last thought of card. No mention is made of it being the ONLY card of its kind in the deck. Believe me, the deck will be burned by the first two spectators.

Merl Hamen
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
There are so many better effect to do for people. I don't' think this is very good.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
You think so?
I went so far to have someone make me a bicycle version of this effect. Costed me more than I have ever invested in any cardtrick.
This "not so good trick" has given me more repeat bookings and a kickstart in the motivational speakers corner than anything else.
If I could only do two pieces of cardmagic for the rest of my life it would be Spooked and Mindpower. That's how good I think it is!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

I too had a special MP deck made up so that all the backs are Bicycle! The MP deck is a wonderful mentalism effect but it's all in the presentation. Let me explain my MP Deck presentation. This is a result of doing it so MANY times and is what I feel to be a refinement of the method.

I FIRST table spread the MP deck with NORMAL pips showing and just casually LEAVE it there exposed on the table while I begin my explanation! It's a great way to subliminally establish that the deck is a normal one. So many times I have seen what I like to think of as "Koran buster spectators" scrutinizing the deck for duplicates. This way they conclude what they are seeing is normal. It's perfect. They NEVER re-scrutinize the deck during what comes next...

After leaving the deck exposed for a while as I am speaking to them and saying that I do NOT want them to mentally choose a card yet so as to keep their minds clear, I finally get to the point where I say they are to make a mental "snap shot" of their chosen card. Then AFTER explaining what I want them to do, I casually pick up the deck, tell the 1-3 participants to quickly choose a card and table spread the deck with the gaff exposed. The deck remains on the table for only a few moments, and then I pick it up again, asking each participant if they got their mental snapshot of their card. After confirming that each has done so, I table spread the deck ungaff exposed and just LEAVE it there as I begin my process! This once again makes a subliminal impression that all is normal.

The way I present everything gives me a perfect REASON to do the table spreads in the above manner. It is done casually and matter-of-factly and is NEVER questioned.

Now here comes the KILLER. As I name their mentally selected card, I push that card COMPLETELY OUT from the table spread towards them!! I can because the target cards are NORMAL, remember? So you can literally slide their cards COMPLETELY out of the table spread as you move your hands over the cards. It's another STRONG subliminal suggestion that leaves them speechless and removes any remaining heat from the deck.

When you do it this way, it rocks.

:)
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Quote:
On 2004-06-06 12:13, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
As I name their mentally selected card, I push that card COMPLETELY OUT from the table spread towards them!!

That's a gorgeous subtlety, PalmBeachGuy, just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing it.
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Dgcuff,

Glad you like it. The killer ending really does mess them up.

:)
neves710
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of neves710
This is one of my all time fav. effects. Its kills laymen.
MagicianJ
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicianJ
The principal behind the effect is darn good if you ask me. Even if you don't like the effect after buying the deck, each card can be used seperately to create your own magical effects...
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Wait.....how did you guys get these decks made up on Bicycle card stock? I would definately like to get a deck like that for me!

Steve
asdffdsa
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of asdffdsa
Hi Steve,

You can contact cardsbymartin2@juno.com for further information but it’s expensive though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mind Power Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL