The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Who was Frank Joglar? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1333 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
[This discussion occurred in the buy/sell forum on a topic attempting to sell some issues of The Phoenix. Posts in that area are deleted within a week or two, so I've pasted the relevant parts here to preserve the information.]

Rennie wrote:
...It is in Elliott's piece in The Phoenix called “The Back Room” that we learned about all his goings on. His jottings in “The Back Room” were as varied as his other works; he never followed a pattern. Elliott shared his personal news (and plugs), magic news, reviews, newspaper clippings, tips on tricks, even complete tricks were described. Sometimes he would publish a letter he received, or he would regale his readers with the events of the latest “Friday Night Sodality” that usually took place at his home. The list of attendees to those events usually read like a “who's who of magic,” but sometimes a “who's that?” And his occasional jabs taken at Frank Joglar (usually return volleys) – a columnist (and trivia question) in Hugard's Magic Monthly – were always fun to read; right up to issue 300. At least one time there was only a cartoon, but usually it was an odd mix of any of these and other tidbits. “The Back Room” was masterful writing by a master of the typewriter. There is little question that The Phoenix is Bruce Elliott's legacy...

Dick Oslund wrote:
Sometime in the next week or so, I'm going to "unmask" Frank Joglar. I learned his identity from a very well known magician, and very good friend, now deceased. I haven't decided what "table" of the Café, in which I'll break the news.

J Christensen wrote:
Are the initials MC pertinent here?

Tim Cavendish wrote:
Frank Joglar's identity is in the Magicpedia entry for Hugard's Magic Monthy:

https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php......_Monthly

Dick can probably provide more colorful context, though, and that's a lot more interesting...

Dick Oslund wrote:
Ha! I didn't KNOW that, Tim! I don't remember, exactly how it came up, but Jay and I were discussing, the Christopher "TV special", and, if you happen to recall, Milbourne had done a levitation (Aga or Asrah, I've forgotten) but, when the girl was "up", Milbourne walked downstage, and said. dramatically: "There she hangs!" We both laughed at the word, "hangs"!

Jay started reminiscing. Apparently, they weren't close friends!!! He was curious about Joglar's identity. Joglar wrote, apparently some "sharp" comments. Anyway, Jay wrote a letter to Joglar, c/o Jean Hugard. Through some mail mix up, Jay's original letter, with forwarding address to Milbourne Christopher, was returned to Jay. It's really not a big story, but, for some of us, it may be "fun" to know.

I'm not computer "maven" enough, to check out the Magicpedia!!! (I was "born, too soon!)

Max Maven wrote:
Dick, it wasn’t Jay who cracked the Joglar identity; it was Frances.

Frances Ireland Marshall had sent some information to Joglar, c/o Hugard’s editorial address. That office forwarded it, which in those days could be done by simply crossing out the original address and writing in the new one. However, the envelope got wet (presumably rained upon in transit), which obliterated the forwarding address, but left the return address intact, hence it returned to Frances in Chicago. Enough of the forwarding address was intact to make it clear that the intended recipient was Milbourne Christopher. Fran, of course, told Jay.

As that information was under wraps, Jay kept it to himself. But, he did insert it cryptographically into an issue of The New Phoenix, as hidden proof that he’d found out.

Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi Phil!

Aha! I had forgotten a few details, like the obliteration of the forwarding address, etc. When Jay told me the story, it was years after he had ceased editing the "New Phoenix". He told me the "story" in the late '70s. He didn't mention Frances's role! (He may have "edited" the story, to save time!!!) However, knowing Frances, I wouldn't doubt that she was "involved"!

Now, I'll need to go on an "archaeological dig" through the Jay Marshall issues of the "New Phoenix"! hee hee

Thanks, for clarifying the details!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
THANK YOU TO TIM CAVENDISH, for taking the time to "move" the FRANK JOGLAR "episode"!!!

Thanks, also to Rennie, J. Christensen, and, especially Max Maven, who had more details than I had!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5086 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Interesting stuff. I wonder if one day in the future, other magicians will be researching who the "Mastermind" is behind the curtain at "The Jerx".
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1604 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Interesting stuff. I wonder if one day in the future, other magicians will be researching who the "Mastermind" is behind the curtain at "The Jerx".

Very likely, and I am glad that I can witness this part of magic history being one of the jerx subscribers.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
I am glad that I can witness this part of magic history as well and being one of the jerx subscribers. The identity shall remain in mystery!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Who was Frank Joglar? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL