The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The week end warrior girds his loins (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I’ve been fiddling around with my stuff. We’re supposed to finally have a nice Friday and I’m considering trying an evening shift on Thayer Street! Wal Mart has put me on a regular shift with Thursday’s and Fridays off. Saturday evening is not impossible, but I’m usually exhausted from work and probably won’t be in a mood to perform, not to mention, if I did, I’d most likely have to schelp everything to work and drag it directly to the site after pulling an 8 to 5 shift. I don’t see that happening.

Will get back to you with word of how it goes, IF I end up working up the courage to do it!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, chickened out at the last minute. Had a lot of errands today and got home after five. I COULD have made it, but would have been dragging.

To paraphrase Bullwinkle the Moose; "Next week, for sure!" (Please don't rain next week!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
No doubt the 'big moment' in your tricks will be preceeded by your saying, "Nuthin' up my sleeve - PRESTO!"
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
“Wrong hat.”
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I remember that feeling when I first tried it 10 years ago. I chickened out as well. So the next day, I brought a friend and started performing for HIM. Soon the crowd gathered and it all went uphill from there. So, bring a supportive friend and just DO IT! Don´t be too hard on yourself, laugh at your mistakes and learn from them. Have fun. You will get much better very, very quickly.

Håkan
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Do it scared.

The fear that flows,
fills every man's soul,
'til he stands up and calls it quit.

Then he thinks to himself,
wonders what he's done,
his knees start shaking a bit.

Well, you can sit back down,
take what you get,
...or stand up and walk alone.

There's a good chance,
you'll stumble and fall,
..but that's part of the story
of those who've flown.

Do it scared.
gallagher
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
That is so well said, Gallagher. I have a quote from a children's´book by Astrid Lindgren: "Sometimes you have to do things you do not dare, otherwise you're not human but just a speck of dirt". Hard but true words.

Håkan
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It’s supposed to rain this weekend!
Smile
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Well Ed... I'm not exactly the voice of experience, but just go out and perform... don't worry about performing for people, perform for yourself.

I purposely used tricks that were fast paced and didn't require assistance from the audience my first few days out. That way if I had an audience I could use an assistant, but if no one was stopping I could do the routine without and audience involvement.

And finally, when you do it you'll find it is one of the most fun experiences you can have as a performer and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I'm not saying that you won't be nervous each time you go out, but it will be more excitement nerves than nerves of terror.

Just do it Ed and have fun!

Gary K.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I’ve been out there. I usually end up performing for the people sitting in the window of the pizza place. Just 1st good Friday, I chose to stay home and have taco 🌮 night with my family. The next two Fridays haven’t been good enough to warrant going out. I’m hopeful for this Friday.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Chatterbox41 wrote:
Well Ed... I'm not exactly the voice of experience, but just go out and perform... don't worry about performing for people, perform for yourself.

That is exactly what I do ... I don't even like talking anymore, I just do cups and balls over and over again until people start watching. The only thing I say to them is "HI" after they have stopped and watched for a while. If they don't respond, I keep saying it over and over again until they do (usually they reply HI to which I say "no I'm not ... not today anyway").

Building crowds is hard ... it is easier (and usually faster) to just practice on the street until someone takes notice. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
It's never going to be right, or perfect to perform. And you'll come up with more excuses to not perform that day.

You just have to commit. Set up shop and perform. You just gotta do it.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I have two excuses for not going out;

One, it’s (grey, drizzly, raining or cold)

Two, my family needs me for some reason.

It’s looking this Friday, it’s looking like the second one.

Oh well.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Hey, look for opportunities, not excuses.

Håkan
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They’re spraying the house. My wife (and kids) have to be OUT of the house. If my wife needs to be out, she needs me there by her side.

I’m not Dai Vernon, I can’t pursue my dream at the cost of my relationship with my family.

I’m hoping for next Friday. Watch this space.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
My plan is to annoy you into going out.

Håkan
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You’re not annoying me, and I have every intention of going out soon. When the weather and my personal schedule will allow it.

If I can, I’ll get my kid to come out and video me to upload.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Just kidding. I fully understand that the family comes first. Otherwise, doing magic in the streets would be my job. I hope you get the chance to go out there soon and often.

Håkan
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thanks, Hawk. So do I.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I agree that the family should come before street performing.

But I also believe that if you could get out there more and improve your skills, you would make more and be able to work for "the man" less and have more family time. I think you had mentioned taking your kid with you to film you, that is something you can't do working at wal-mart.

So what I'm getting at is the idea that you don't have to choose between your family and street performing, it is possible to find a balance for both. I can suggest putting more thought into it: find a better spot?? get someone to pay you?? find a way to get the family involved??

For me, street performing has given me a lot of financial freedom in my life ... instead of working all year, I was able to only work summer and have the rest of the year to be free to do what I wanted to do. I had to work harder, double shifts seven days a week ... but as a result, I only had to work three months a year.

Whatever you do Ed, make sure it is something you want to do and enjoy ... life is too short to be wasted on things you don't want to be doing. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The week end warrior girds his loins (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL