The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Logical Reason For Sponge Balls (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
For many years I struggled trying to give the little red balls meaning. Even with the advice of of pros like Eugene Burger and Kenton Knepper advising that no explanation was necessary. Until one day I realized that sponge balls are clown noses without the slit. So what I did was to slit my set of four balls half way through with a razor blade. This gave me four clown noises that led to many bits of business and comedic presentations for both children and adults. I know the realization is not ground breaking and I'm sure it's been thought of before but I thought I'd present it to the community in case it never occurred to you.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
That can lead to some interesting routines. Thanks for sharing
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
For me they are recycled dots from the ending of turbo stick
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1314 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
When I first got into sponge balls I saw a guy wearing o e of these shirts and started my routine by pulling one from there
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3080 Posts

Profile of warren
Many years ago when I used to do children's shows I had a sponge ball routine in one of my shows that also used the clowns nose theme, however when I perform close up for adults I just use the term red balls and whilst I don't actually make any rude remarks the audience tend to fill in the blanks themselves with a couple of the lines I feed them depending on the audience obviously.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I wonder if audiences really give a hoot as to whether or not the props we use have a "logical reason" for their existence. The more we try to prove an objects validation for existence, the more suspicious the object becomes...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am in that camp. At some point just don't think it matters. I gave up a long time ago trying to have explanations for props.

But that is only one opinion and it might not be fir everyone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3080 Posts

Profile of warren
Sponge balls definitely don't require a logical reason that's for sure Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can see going that route for kids trying to engage them a little bit differently with relating them to a clown nose.

Heck even on the Walgreens day go for it. But as a rule there is no reason in my mind to do so. But if others enjoy performance that way then cool. That is what makes performance art so wonderful.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On May 12, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
Perfect for a show on May 24...
https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotio......88ce72cd


Nice find! I had no idea there was such a thing. You Americans celebrate everything with a day of it's own don't you? In this case it's for a good cause. Thank you.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
We indeed celebrate everything we can. Just last week we celebrated the holiday to commerate a day with a "y" in it.

Although as I wrote this it occurred to me perhaps my family celebrates a bit more than average.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
I used a clown nose today to approach a table with a kid. Since it was Mother's Day, I switched to sponge hearts during the routine with the moms. It all went over quite well.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
625 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On May 13, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
You Americans celebrate everything with a day of it's own don't you? In this case it's for a good cause. Thank you.


Some do. I stick to the important ones, like Festivus.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2257 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
You really don't need a logical reason for the sponge balls. I really don't think anybody sets back and goes ( Why is he using red balls )
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On May 13, 2018, warren wrote:
Sponge balls definitely don't require a logical reason that's for sure Smile


That statement could be true about almost anything. For the purpose of this thread I brought up the subject for a different perspective.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On May 13, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
You Americans celebrate everything with a day of it's own don't you?


I believe that 'Red Nose Day' is of British origin.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Red nose day in the UK would have to be a day of football where fans beat each other for rooting for the opposite team Smile I love my English brothers and their passion for the game.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I've only used clown noses as sponge balls - got myself a bag of 500 for about $20 off eBay

I use them for kids shows - standard sponge ball routine that climaxes in the production of LOTS of clown-noses (enough for each kid to have one)

Makes a nice giveaway - kids go running around with clown noses on the whole rest of the party
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On May 24, 2018, Avocat wrote:
I've only used clown noses as sponge balls - got myself a bag of 500 for about $20 off eBay

I use them for kids shows - standard sponge ball routine that climaxes in the production of LOTS of clown-noses (enough for each kid to have one)

Makes a nice giveaway - kids go running around with clown noses on the whole rest of the party


Yep! Another example of how and why the clown noses work and work well.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Logical Reason For Sponge Balls (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL