The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Logical Reason For Sponge Balls (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On May 24, 2018, Avocat wrote:
I've only used clown noses as sponge balls - got myself a bag of 500 for about $20 off eBay

I use them for kids shows - standard sponge ball routine that climaxes in the production of LOTS of clown-noses (enough for each kid to have one)

Makes a nice giveaway - kids go running around with clown noses on the whole rest of the party

This is very cool! As an adult, it's sometimes hard to remember the kind of little things that really mattered when we were young. This is a great example of someone not only remembering, but sharing it with another generation. Keep it up!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I call them red rubber baby buggy bumpers. and you need two. So, I ask them to say it twice when two go into their hand.
Smile Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I agree with those that don't justify them at all. I open with sponge balls at every table and no one in the last 35 years has asked what they are. I just call them balls...EZ. How do you "justify" anything we use? No need...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think when I'm watching a magician and he feels the need to justify something it is a qaste of time. When it is some goofy story it is at that point I cease to take them seriously.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I agree Danny! I've seen a million cups & balls routines, but not once can I recall a magician trying to explain why they were using something that is clearly a "magic prop". Certain items do not demand justification, and sponge balls fall into that category. People just take it for whatever it is and that's that!
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
No need to justify anything if your a magician. I perform a 6 phase spongeball routine using 1 ball. The following is a 5sec video of my ball production. It starts off like magic from the get go.
https://youtu.be/AuhG6LPDaWo
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
6 phases? Yowsa.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
My sponge ball routine is also six phases. I've done it for years and it kicks ***!

What's wrong with six phases?

Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
6 phases? Yowsa.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Easy to justify spongeballs. Start by saying "What? I can't hear you!" a few times, and then reach up to your ears and apparently remove the first two sponge balls as if they were ear plugs. "That's better. Well now you don't have to shout!" And start your routine with the "ear plugs."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
Easy to justify spongeballs. Start by saying "What? I can't hear you!" a few times, and then reach up to your ears and apparently remove the first two sponge balls as if they were ear plugs. "That's better. Well now you don't have to shout!" And start your routine with the "ear plugs."

Yep this is an example of what I'm talking about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, Kaliix wrote:
My sponge ball routine is also six phases. I've done it for years and it kicks ***!

What's wrong with six phases?

Quote:
6 phases? Yowsa.

If you're asking me please show me where I said there was anything wrong with it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I took your use of Yowsa to be one of shock, surprise or astonishment, as that is usually how it's used. If you are shocked or surprised that a sponge ball routine could be six phases, that typically indicates that there is something out of the ordinary about having six phases to a sponge ball routine.

Perhaps you could explain then what caused you to express surprise at a six phase sponge ball routine?

Quote:
6 phases? Yowsa.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A six phase anything for me is a lot.

This in no way makes it right or wrong. It only means it is a lot for me, not a judgement of others.

It is possible to be surprised with no judgement. Just because something is different from my way does not mean I think it is wrong. No need to assign that to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Multi-phase routines...especially for folks at a table enjoying time together at a favorite restaurant... should be very carefully considered. I've seen more than a handful of restaurant performers who think the that the opportunity to perform at a table gives them permission to do their entire close-up act.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea kind of my position as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Well then I guess I'm in that handful because I've used a six phase sponge ball routine for years doing closeup and I've never gotten anything but positive feedback from it. In fact, it is one of the strongest routines I do.

Incidentally, how does doing one routine that plays for about 3 minutes grow to be an entire close-up act?

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2018, peppermeat2000 wrote:
Multi-phase routines...especially for folks at a table enjoying time together at a favorite restaurant... should be very carefully considered. I've seen more than a handful of restaurant performers who think the that the opportunity to perform at a table gives them permission to do their entire close-up act.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seeing as I rarely spend much more than 7 minutes at a table 3 minutes on a 6 phase sponge ball routine would be far too much.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
There is more than one way to skin a cat Danny. While it may be "far too much" for you, it seems to work quite nicely for me. A shorter, less involved routine would seem far too short for me.

Quote:
On Jun 10, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Seeing as I rarely spend much more than 7 minutes at a table 3 minutes on a 6 phase sponge ball routine would be far too much.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again you are pretty defensive and I'm not sure why. I have in no way said it was wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I don't care anymore. They're red balls that do cool things.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Logical Reason For Sponge Balls (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL