The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Magic marathon!!!! Super challenge! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Not really sure where to post this. Street magic is the closest place I could find.

In June, I will be performing at the 4H fair. The situation is that I have my own booth at the merchants building, and I'll be performing standing up at a nightclub style table for eight hours each day, performing for the crowds that pass by, and I'll be doing this for a week straight.

So the crowd will be kids, young people ,old people...actually every age group you can think of.

Talk about a challenge! Not only on my repertoire, but on my stamina as a performer!

Now to be fair, I did it last year, and I did pretty good! (pat myself on the back.)

But I'm always open for advice. I can always get ideas and learn more.

So I'm asking you guys how would you handle it? What effects would you use? How would you handle repeat custiomers and the "hanger arounders'" and all the other scenarios that arise in this type of performing scenario?

Sure appreciate any tips, and hope this was the best place to post this, because I'm not sure if this fits under street magic, children's magic, busking, corporate magic or WHAT. Really kind of everything rolled up in one, I think.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
1) What did you do last year?

2) Are they charging you rent for the table?

3) What is the purpose of these performances - are your trying to get paying party gigs, get experience for shows, busking for tips?

4) Can you demonstrate /sell stuff - Svengali decks, wiggly worms, Adams magic tricks.

Here's what I would try. 12 minute show (show A), followed by 20 minutes schmoozing with the audience. Then a different 12 minute show (show B), then 20 minute schmoozing break. Then a new 12 minute show (show C), 20 minute break (for Toilet and snacks). Then start over for with 12 min show A, and repeat the whole process.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I would concur with Paul's suggestions, with a minor "adjustment' or two)!

At events such as 4H FAIRS, it's a "dynamic" situation. I would do about 7 or 8 minutes "max". Then, blow 'em off, and schmooz with any that "stick". Don't scnmooz too long, or you'll never get a "break"!

Use short snappy "visual effect" tricks with simple visible props, that need no re-set. Angle proof! No table needed for props to work on! Like busking or a trade show, people are standing, and, very mobile. (they want to see everything--and, should!)

Have a 'banner' or sign with your name (easily visible) Be ready with business cards to hand out to adults. You might want to hand out a SIMPLE "corn flakes box" trick, that kids can do.

Keep it moving, or you may get walkaways!

If you get "repeat" people in the tip, you may, as Paul suggests, want a #2 show.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Good suggestions! A lot of them I have already implemented. And yes, this crowd is dynamic as they come. Every body milling about and going from both to booth. Sometimes (often) the kids have snow cones or other sticky treats in their hands. And a lot of times the parents only are interested in tricks I can do for the kids. "Oh look, Suzie! There's a magician!" I got a TON of mileage out of Goshnan sponge effects. (and then there were four, color changing ball to cube, multiplying lady bugs, Blue Jay surprise, etc)

I'm thinking about purchasing "running light strips" to put on the front of my table. Anything to catch people's eye toward my booth as they walk by, because their are dozens of booths for them to stop at. Say year, I used Eisenhaur dollars in a coins acres routine to catch people's eye.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Also , a chance to audience test a lot of routines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Magic marathon!!!! Super challenge! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL