The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Routine to show inferior is often better (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lippy
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of lippy
I'm doing a reading show for kids aged 7-9 and included is the book 'Wonder' about a boy with facial differences who enters school in 5th grade for the first time, and how the other kids struggle to find their acceptance and compassion.

I'd like to do a routine to show how being different doesn't necessarily mean it's worse, in fact it often makes you the hero.

Do you have any ideas for a trick/routine that follows this idea, displaying two things where one initially seems inferior but turns out to be 'the winner'?

I'm a little short of ideas at the moment and just looking for a little inspiration to get me going.

Thanks so much in advance Smile
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Martin Lewis' "Rosepad" is so adaptable to situations yours calls for. I've used it for groups like hospice volunteers and pediatric cancer patients... work out the routine based on his "Gift Of A Child" routine included and it makes a great closer. See it here:
http://www.magikraft.com/rosepad/
lippy
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of lippy
Thanks Stempleton, that is a very suitable trick where the patter can certainly be adapted to match the story of the boy.

Thanks for the help
Russo
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of Russo
Don't know if this would help- the Hans Christian Anderson story of the "Ugly Duckling" could be adapted someway???
lippy
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of lippy
Yes definitely, it matches perfectly with the book 'Wonder' and most kids know the story. Nice idea, thanks Russo
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Just a tip pertaining to the PC-madness prevalent in our society today:

Do not use the word “inferior” in your patter when referring to a kid or a character. Rather stick to “different” or “unique.”
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
lippy
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of lippy
Thanks Arthur, too true!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Routine to show inferior is often better (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL