The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ESP Opener by Banachek (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10126

Simple. Powerful. Easy to explain.

Banachek is one of the world’s authorities in mentalism. He's the man who fooled scientists into thinking he had ESP. And now he's sharing his original strolling ESP routine.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS

You approach a group, and show them five cards. Each has a symbol—one of the five classic ESP shapes. The cards are mixed, and they’re instructed to avoid selecting the star.

No matter what they choose, or how hard they try to suppress your influence, they can’t avoid picking the card with the star symbol!

Fool-proof and virtually self-working.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I noticed this said "cards included" vs. "Download plus gimmick." is there a video download with it? Was wondering because I already have some ESP cards with symbols but not like the last one he shows. Didn't know if I could get started right away or need specific card gaffs to this effect.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
It doesn't say the cards are examinable, so I guess they are not?
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
If this is the same as the opener he uses in his stage show, it's really good.

Also, this might be the same ESP Opener in his Psi Series DVD's.
ltchip
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of ltchip
Seems like a simple force that could be done 1000 different ways. yawn
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
It's the ESP Opener from PSI Series but with the printed cards mailed to you. The PSI series DVD taught this, but making the cards was DIY.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, Magic KL wrote:
It doesn't say the cards are examinable, so I guess they are not?

Nope. These are the same idea as a standard magic deck that rhymes with lop bide bopper.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I do this type of routine with the Monte Cristo deck. Choose any card, but not the 2 of hearts. Etc. Far better with 52 cards.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
It's the ESP Opener from PSI Series but with the printed cards mailed to you. The PSI series DVD taught this, but making the cards was DIY.

Thx Stunninger. I need to dig up my old DVDs. Smile
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, pegasus wrote:
I do this type of routine with the Monte Cristo deck. Choose any card, but not the 2 of hearts. Etc. Far better with 52 cards.

I don't perform either effect, so this is a theoretical point of view, but although 1 out of 52 might be more impressive, I'd hesitate to say it's "far better". Better for what? Amazement? Maybe, but what's the purpose and goal of the effect? As the title states - Banachek positions this as an opener -- a way to introduce yourself to a group in a walk-around setting. I'd argue that walking up with a deck of cards and telling them to not select the 2 of hearts could be easily interpreted as a card trick - and if it's your first effect to the group, you could therefore be labeled as a magician. Also, taking in to account the Chuck Hickcok idea of structuring your act with a sense of building difficulty and amazement - then I think I'd prefer to start out simple and direct, with a plausible 1 out of 5 influence effect, versus 1 out of 52.

Again, I don't doubt that you get an amazing reaction with the Monte Cristo deck approach, but taking into consideration the purpose of this effect - I can see ESP Opener serving as solid way to open a series of routines.

Like I said - all theory, but just my two cents worth!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, pegasus wrote:

I don't perform either effect, so this is a theoretical point of view, but although 1 out of 52 might be more impressive, I'd hesitate to say it's "far better". Better for what? Amazement? Maybe, but what's the purpose and goal of the effect? As the title states - Banachek positions this as an opener -- a way to introduce yourself to a group in a walk-around setting. I'd argue that walking up with a deck of cards and telling them to not select the 2 of hearts could be easily interpreted as a card trick - and if it's your first effect to the group, you could therefore be labeled as a magician. Also, taking in to account the Chuck Hickcok idea of structuring your act with a sense of building difficulty and amazement - then I think I'd prefer to start out simple and direct, with a plausible 1 out of 5 influence effect, versus 1 out of 52.

Again, I don't doubt that you get an amazing reaction with the Monte Cristo deck approach, but taking into consideration the purpose of this effect - I can see ESP Opener serving as solid way to open a series of routines.

Like I said - all theory, but just my two cents worth!

A fair point to make and a good selling point to those who do do sets.
kidnapped1853
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of kidnapped1853
Thanks for all the insights on this effect. I love the way Banachek structures a routine.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Yes this is Fool-proof and virtually self-working. It is the opener to the psi series!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, ltchip wrote:

Did you watch the demo?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
377 Posts

Profile of Deano88
Iam glad to see this come out as I had a set made from a large magic company and iam not sure what they did but it didn't work so this looks much better. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't look like any set of ESP cards I have seen before , which makes it difficult if you wanted to do a ESP matching effect later on with 'the same cards'

Dean
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
The cards shown in the demo are not the cards that you receive when you buy the product. You actually get something a whole lot better, the included cards are printed by the US Playing Card Company. They are a lot easier to handle in my opinion than the cards you see in the demo.
P3
practice practice perform.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
I'm guessing the gimmick gets warn out pretty quickly
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On May 14, 2018, ltchip wrote:

Did you watch the demo?

Notice he starts his comment by saying “seems.” So he doesn’t own it, doesn’t know the method but he’s going to bash it while knowing noting about it.
Smile
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I feel like I've used this before years ago and learned it from his Psi series of DVDs...
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, kissdadookie wrote:
I feel like I've used this before years ago and learned it from his Psi series of DVDs...

Quote:
On May 14, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » ESP Opener by Banachek (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL