The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Only Game in Town (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
From Whit Haydn's excellent Notes On Three-Card Monte:

"Canada Bill [the famous monte scammer] had to spend the night in Baton Rouge, and searched all over town until he finally found a Faro game in the back room of a barbershop. George Devol found him there and saw immediately that the dealer was cheating using a "two-card" (rigged) box. He begged Bill to quit the game. "Can't you see this game is crooked?" Devol asked. "Sure I know it, George," sighed Bill with resignation, "but it's the only game in town."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That story goes well with the first paragraph of "expert". Gotta admit the words passion, hazzard and play do a fine job of ... or is this about "perfect harmony with the usual procedure of the game"?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That definitely crossed my mind too, and a lot of the Monte men spent time in the Illinois railroad hub, but best I can tell, death dates and such don't check out.

As to meaning, I was thinking more along the lines of the definition of insanity quote.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like Whit's tales of the irrational. Smile
Insanity is... hmmm...maybe a good title? "Tales of the Irrational"
#WholeAboveWholeBelow ?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Only Game in Town (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL