The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SvenAgain Reusable Svengali Book or Pad Set by Sven Lee (71 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Magicsquared do you know how many effects in the pure effect book by Derren Brown are actually his lol ? Regards Tarik 🙂
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Tarik Flash wrote:
Wrong I create my own original routines and ideas and effects and I am not a sheep who follows and who copies others . Which actually in all fairness are often the names you are just mentioning , lots of them are copying their predecessors whos shoulder we all stand on and are now no longer sadly with us . Read some old books and be prepared to look up the history of magic if you want to challenge me as you will be left absolutely standing . Best wishes Tarik 🙂

I have no doubt I'll be left "absolutely standing" if I were to challenge you.

I'm very familiar with the "old books," but the idea that you should work out your routines "on paper" instead of "on humans" is a not in any of the old books I've read and goes against the practice of every successful performer in the history of our art. The best performers are always testing and tweaking effects based on feedback from their audiences. I'm surprised you haven't discovered that in all your reading on the "history of magic."

I'll give you the last word and then allow this thread to get back on track.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
What I am saying is I don’t write a load of any old forces out on a svenpad and say hey ho give this a bash ! I will already have worked out it’s strong and I will only be trying it out to see what type of audience it plays best to . I know what a good effect is immediately through experience and no trial and error is involved but I agree it’s then finding out your target audience and seeing who it works best for . The names you mentioned can instantly tell if an effect performed correctly with the write hook etc will be good and so can I . Many times though they already know that because they are replicating effects that have been performed over 50 plus years ago and out in the trenches . I know my onions so I suggest like you said best you leave it there as there will only ever be one winner in this debate and I will give you a clue it won’t be you . Best wishes Tarik 🙂
Mr. E. Casey
View Profile
New user
Bay Area, California
64 Posts

Profile of Mr. E. Casey
If this is anything like his other Svengali pads, I will be very disappointed. The Svengali pads I got looked like they were made from recycled paper with black marks on the papers, and the difference between the short and long pages is so significant that I can see it from several feet away. Not only that, the pages were an ugly pink color. I hope this product is better.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
495 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN

This was the marker I was talking about in my earlier posts.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
235 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Wow. I used a cd/dvd permanent marker (thinner nib though) and it erased perfectly. No bleed, no smudge - easy and clean. Absolutely no worries in a performance.

Will now try a thicker marker too. Thanks for sharing, imagination !
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On May 22, 2018, AceFace wrote:
These look absolutely fantastic... I think it has caused massive issues with Brett Who sells the svenpads but it is so nice to have a choice. I know that a lot of people swear by the svenpads claiming they are far more superior but I have got svenpads and Svengali pads from another supplier and I don’t think the difference is anything major (apart from the price). I get the impression that the maker of svenpads is getting a little worried because we now have cheaper alternatives that do exactly the same and even have a great feature like being properly reusable even if you use a sharpie. Sorry Svenpads but you are not fairest in the land anymore, you have got proper competition now.....

I still use my two $0.99 pads that I made into svenpads for over 5 years now and they still work flawlessly. These are the easiest things to make and really do not take that long at all. And the cuts do not have to be perfect. I have never had my pads fail or be questioned in well over hundreds of performances. Take 10-15 minutes to make the cuts and your done.

Thank you for your tips!

#metoo
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of paw
MAGICBYSWH: Wrote
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sales on these must be booming as most places are sold out of the pads. WOW. They have only been on the market for a couple of days.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey Magicbyswh -

You are correct, Our shelves are currently empty but we should have more pads as early as tomorrow (06/07/2018).

Best,
P
FredNarlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Been waiting for John Dough for the last
318 Posts

Profile of FredNarlo
I may be going against the grain on this, but I received my SvenAgains yesterday. I already own some of the originals from Brett Barry.
Unfortunately, I was highly disappointed with these. Maybe I got a bad set, but a few pages are creased/wrinkled, the pad is all banged up (shipped in a box, so they were packaged that way), no front and back orientation, and other noticeable quality differences. Maybe I’m just used to the high quality that Brett offers in his product, but I don’t think I’ll be using these. Maybe, your experience is different.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Now the dust has settled, what's the opinion?

Can you use regular permanent Sharpie?
After removal of writing is there residue or smell?
Do they work well?
How long does it take to clear a pad?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The silence tells me they are average at best and probably ok for the hobbyist from what I am hearing on the grape vine . They are trying for a one size fits all and that rarely cuts the mustard on all levels imho regards Tarik 🙂
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
So, anyone who has one care to comment?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I'm enjoying mine. Had one small mistake on setup and fixed it easily.
ajmiller
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
2 Posts

Profile of ajmiller
Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, just thought I'd offer my 2 cents on this product, which I purchased 2 weeks ago from Penguin (arrived today).

I've tested it with a chisel-tip Sharpie marker (permanent) and EXPO dry erase marker. Both in black.

Dry Erase: The EXPO dry erase ink can be wiped away, cleanly, with just one firm smear of the thumb. I also wrote with dry-erase ink between two pages and applied pressure on the upper page to see if page-to-page contact would smudge/erase the ink. Moderate rubbing did not have an effect, but increased pressure did cause the dry-erase ink to "scratch" a bit. I probably wouldn't construct the whole book out of dry-erase ink for this reason (it would slowly fade over the time through friction), HOWEVER, combining these pads with a certain marker gimmick has me excited, since it would allow for routines where the magician apparently writes in the pad with permanent marker right in front of the audience.

Permanent Sharpie: After blowing on the ink for 5-10 seconds, it was dry to the touch and did not smudge. Basically, imagine using a Sharpie on a dry erase board--- same smudgability (or lack thereof) here. This makes constructing the pad somewhat tedious, but the upsides are worth it to me. As for the erasing: I can confirm that it works, 100%. A tip here without giving away the method(?): apply, dry, apply. At first, I couldn't get it to erase all the way because I kept applying more of the secret sauce... but after allowing the area to completely dry (paper towel did the trick), and then reapplying the sauce, it vanished.

One other tip: keep the writing away from the upper edge of the pad and especially the covers. I found these areas to be vulnerable to moisture.

Personal Thoughts: I'm impressed. It works just as claimed in the adverts and, considering the "tech" involved, is fairly priced (I plan to buy more when they are back in stock, just to have spares). I've purchased other Svengali Pads and they were great, but the SvenAgain offers something that those products didn't: The fact that the paper can effectively act like a dry-erase board means these pads can be combined with other dry-erase principles that I'm sure you're all familiar with. To me, that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you-- I've long benefited from reviews and analysis on these board, and just thought I'd take this opportunity to offer a bit in return.

All the best!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3616 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Thank you for your contribution it is much appreciated . For me though there implies that there are drying time issues slight cross contamination issues and I personally would prefer a svenpad with normal paper as I reuse the forces and even if I didn't I may one day in the future . Even if I didn't I would just write out another svenpad as if you are getting paid to perform you can earn far more in the time period it takes erasing and rewriting imho . Good for the hobbyist or someone who is not sure of their act or who just wants to experiment but not for me . Thanks again for a very enlightening and well put together review , best wishes Tarik 🙂
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
Just to chime in also.

I have not yet tried Dry Erase Marker on these, I might try it out to see how it looks though!

Regular sharpie can (and is, in the trailer) be used. It is me erasing it, whilst laughing at how easy it was!

Although the whole book can be erased, which would take about 30 mins to do maybe, this is more beneficial for errors - no wasted force book!

Frixion Pens - I love them for certain effects, although when you erase Frixion do still have 'the dent' from the pen mark, also the fine line is not the most eligible. Sharpie is sure fire!

No one has mentioned the best part of these pads?? They are NO BLEED!!! You can use one Pad as Two Force pads! Have one force one direction, a second force the other. (I would have two different subjects)

Sven's Pads are pretty *** awesome. I can see me using these for a long time.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Re the frixion pens, I've only been talking about frixion MARKERS which don't leave the biro indent
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of paw
Hey Guys –

I just wanted to clear something up concerning using a permanent marker (Sharpie, etc.) on Sven Lee's pads.

Permanent marker ink is FULLY erasable on these Svengali Pads, no need for Dry Erase markers.

I’m not sure where the confusion is coming from?

We have tested this ourselves and it works 100% of the time…

hope this helps to clear things up.

best,
p
baobow
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of baobow
This video posted by Peter Nardi will end the debate on weather a good old sharpie marker can be erased from the pad or not

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_NR0kTG8wKg
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
993 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Mr Nardi, once again showing what a top guy he is! Thanks Pete
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SvenAgain Reusable Svengali Book or Pad Set by Sven Lee (71 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL