The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Every meat eater wants to be a vegan and I can prove it to you (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26852 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
@Salk, the matter of animal rights (and responsibilities) and our ethical treatment of animals may be distinct.

On the intelligence or self awareness measures... there's a cute video of a cat noticing its own ears in a mirror and testing that identification by kicking its ear as it watches the image. So it can test its kinesthetic (action) and sensation (feeling the ear with both ear and foot) against its visual. The item folks would want to avoid testing is whether an animal would use its reflection as part of a process to get something it wanted. If it has a dot on its forehead there will be food behind the first door. Smile Smile wait and see on that one folks. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On May 31, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
I have a serious question for ethics based vegans and vegetarians that I'm sure they hear all the time.

What is the cut-off point for an "animal" to have rights? I know it extends to the larger and smarter and more adorable species, but I don't know how far down the sentient ladder it applies.
Where do birds, fish and insects fit on the continuum? And why? Is it a matter of brain-size, intelligence or self-awareness?

All life is sacred. Have you ever watched Seven Years in Tibet?? True story about two guys that get trapped on the Tibetan mountain during the world war, and they end up making friends with the Dali Lama who wanted them to build a movie theater in the village for his people ... which they do.

And the villagers got all upset because they were killing worms in the construction process. On the top of a mountain like that, you realize how sacred life is - if you see a flower bloom, you don't step on it because you are aware that you may never see another one bloom there again. They began sifting the dirt to ensure no worms were injured while digging the posts for the movie theater.

What exactly do you want to kill and why?? A fish has the right to swim in the river, a bird has a right to fly in the sky, a tree has the right to grow it's branches. We are not here to kill the Earth, we are here to take care of it. Everything has a reason to be here, even if we don't know or understand what it's reason is.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19412 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you kill and eat insects JoeJoe?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Do I kill and eat insects?? No ... as I already explained, I eat them while they are still alive. When the lion eats it's prey, it is still breathing.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19412 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sorry lions kill and eat prey. OOPS.

So do you. So in other words JoeJoe not ALL life is sacred huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2019, JoeJoe wrote:
What exactly do you want to kill and why?? A fish has the right to swim in the river, a bird has a right to fly in the sky, a tree has the right to grow it's branches. We are not here to kill the Earth, we are here to take care of it. Everything has a reason to be here, even if we don't know or understand what it's reason is.

-JoeJoe

I don't want to yell GOTCHA or accuse you of hypocrisy. We all make varying moral decisions about our diets and impact. Even Texans don't eat dog or horse.
But I don't understand the claim of rights to life and liberty for creatures and plants in a life-cycle based on consumption. Sometimes consumption IS the reason.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Every meat eater wants to be a vegan and I can prove it to you (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL