We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Cloaks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
I've been playing around with a manipulation act that involves a cloak... primarily it's for the aesthetic, but I'd like to involve it in some way... I know I've seen people use cloaks as zombie foulards and I believe is was Shawn Farquhuar (I'm positive I didn't spell that right) who performed a Silk Fountain-to-Cloak at some point... does anybody have any other ideas of what might be done with a cloak?

TX!

-Covernton
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
James Dimmare does a blendo cloak. Magic Hands when they were in business in Germany sold a Bag to Cloak.

Never seen anything else with a cloak.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
An idea for use with a zombie is to have a cloak with an image on it. Perhaps the image is of a ball. You then shake the cloak and the image of the ball vanishes only to become a real ball that floats up to the top.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Random claok Ideas:
*Seance third hand effect holding it
*produce assistant from behind it
*fire bowls
*big feather flower bouquets
*self levitation seeing the cloak leave the ground and no feet beneath it
*put cloak on spectator to make them a magician
*quick change costume under the cloak
*Learn flag or staff spinning and spin the cloak
----all kinds of stuff that could be cool----
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
How about a color changing cloak?

Use the Leopart Silk principle.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
459 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Arsene Lupin used to produce his assistant from behind it at the end of his manipulation act and it was very nice. Toreno had some ideas on scarf to cloak and performed it on Wonderful world of Magic in 1973.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
A cloak was sold a while back which used the black art principle in the same way a backdrop is used for black art. Marvin Roy (Mr. Electric) used two different cloaks in two of his acts which are on the Stevens Magic videos. Lance Burton has used it as a production aid in one effect that I don't want to mention in the open forum and he also did an effect where I believe he either changed to a number of doves or his assistant did with only the cover of the cloak. The last effect I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing. Those are some ideas. I hope they're helpful.
Cheers,

Steve
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Walk on wearing a cloak... take it off and it stands on its own and becomes your table.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Walk to the footlights, take it off, it stand on its own, leave the stage and a human shape take form within the cloak. After a brief moment, it is thrown off and you have reappeared.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Wow very nice idea, where can you buy capes, I did try to make one a while back but couldn't think up the right shape for it, Any ideas?

Tom
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Nice idea Pete Except it has already been done , by Fellow NY magi James Brandon!

I do a version in my Show where I am in a cloke & a mask Only to transform into my assistant . I then appear at the back of the House/Audiance.

I have also seen the '3rd hand gaff "incorporated in to an act using a cloke ...So give it some thought & possibly you can come up with something that is 'your very Own;

Michael Lee
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yes, I too have seen Shawn Farquhar do a blendo to cape, as a finish to his manipulation routine.

Somewhere, I have him on videotape doing his whole routine, from back in the early '80s on a telethon. "The early days"... potential blackmail material. Hehehe! Smile

Shawn is amazing! Lori is more amazing! Hannah is even more amazing (but wasn't even a twinkle in their eye way back then).

Another idea for a cape is this. Walk out on stage, your cape is draped on the floor. You pick it up, and as you move it out of the way, there is a 5' tall card castle, standing on the floor. Mine is made from jumbo playing cards, and has a base width of about 36". Of course, card castles can be made from other things (CDs, etc) if your act is themed in another way.

I've used appearing jumbo card castle with success, and its a great way to open your act.

However, everything needs to be placed before the performance. This is not something you typically set up or tear down in front of your audience. It's more of a stage effect when you have proper curtains.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
Thanks all for the ideas and the input! It's set me to thinking along some different lines than I'd originally envisioned... I think I've worked out a finale with the seance cloth gimmick that should be surprising!

BTW... can anyone point me to a resource for building collapsible castles?

Thanks again!

-Covernton
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Hank lee used to stock a card book that had instructions on building a miniature card castle.

while I cant recall the name, I do remenber the last time I saw it was about 2 years ago. hank will be able to tell you I'm sure if you mail or call - even if he no longer stocks it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Michael... ah yes, James Brandon... haven't seen him for years and years... What a great performer he is. Thanks for bringing his name forward.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Theres a magician here in the UK called Christian. As his finale he produces two white poodles from a black cape, looks really great.

Tom
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Have a toppit and inside pockets made into your cape.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
I have also been also looking for an effect with a cloak/cape. Lots of the ideas posted have been great!

My sister-in-law is great at sewing, and is going to be sewing a cape/cloak for me. Do you know where I can find plans/dimensions for a cape, and what materials are they usually made out of?

Thanks.
Sam
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Go to a material shop, and look for a pattern for a cape. This might not be the best season to get it, wait till nearer halloween. A cloak can be made from any material, but more commonly it is silk/satin material.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2004-04-27 05:35, wmhegbli wrote:
James Dimmare does a blendo cloak. Magic Hands when they were in business in Germany sold a Bag to Cloak.

Never seen anything else with a cloak.

Just for the record: Toreno (Norwegian manipulator) was the originator of the blendo cloak. I think Dimmare will be glad to give him credit for it, in fact.

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Cloaks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL