The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Bottom Deal from Gambler’s Ballad (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
691 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Hi everyone!
I know I’ve been quite here of late but I hope someone here can help me out. I was fortunate enough to get a copy of the Johnny Thompson book set, apart from finally finding a source for the Finley Shift I was wondering if anyone has played with the bottom deal described in the Gamblers Ballad? It seems like an interesting take on dealing a single stud bottom. I’ve included a source to the entire routine below.

https://www.magicana.com/video/johnny-th......ballad-0
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Anybody who believes that a gambling demo has to be boring should see this video, thus Johnny in his prime.
I'd not partake in such a demonstration that involved acting in character, but Johnny sure pulls it off.

He has quite the soft touch ... and notice the guys hands - looks like he could palm an entire deck.

(sorry for the slight stray off-topic Bobby!)
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2340 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
I recently saw a one-hour special on Showtime (or one of the other Pay-per-View channels in the U.S.) It featured Penn, Teller and Johnny Thompson. I noticed and watched it because it had "gambler" in the title.

Penn and Teller evidently have a great deal of respect for Thompson and said they never incorporate anything new into their magic act until it has been analyzed and made perfect by Thompson. He apparently has an encyclopedic knowledge of magic methods and techniques.

The show also had a demonstration of The Gambler"s Ballard in the program.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the show offhand, but it was quite recent and as I said, it was on one of the premium channels and had "Gambler" in the title. It was interesting and I think for many members it would be worthwhile viewing if they can locate it.

Perhaps someone on the BB saw it and can add further information on this show.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1468 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On May 25, 2018, Cagliostro wrote:
Perhaps someone on the BB saw it and can add further information on this show.

I did a quick Google search and maybe it's what you watched?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8230938/

http://www.sho.com/titles/3455634/gamble......thompson
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2340 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Thanks Claudio. That is the show I was referring to -- Gambler's Ballard: The Legend of Johnny Thompson
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2340 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Whoops. Looks like I misspelled "Ballad" in my posts above, spelling it as :Ballard," incorrectly inserting the letter "r" into the word.

Seems like my New York accent creeped into my writing. New Yorker's tend to add an "r" where it should not be and omit the "r" where it should be. At least New Yorker's originally from "da bronx" do.

Alas, old habits die hard. Smile
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
691 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
No worries at all Bones! I 100% agree with your POV as well!
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
255 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
Two years ago, while attending magic Live in Vegas, Randy Wakeman and I had dinner with Johnny where he performed the Gambler's Ballad. It was most memorable, funny, and a treat. Johnny is a remarkable individual and a superb performer. What a treasure he is to magic. And yes, I purchased the books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Bottom Deal from Gambler’s Ballad (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL