The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Speeding things up a little........or maybe a bit. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Hi,

I browse you forum quite a lot (as its quite good) and wondered if it couldnt be speeded up by a quick link frame bar at the side or top of the screen.

At the minute, if I am browsing through lets say the "show me the Money" forum I have to go back to the main page OR click [Home] and then [enter the dining room] before I can go to the "Pick a card"

so my thought for an improvement in speed would be a Simple quick launch frame, nothing fancy just Text links to individual forums.

best,

Wayman.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I have to agree on how slow it is. Steve I note that your running phpboard 1.4. I'm not that familiar with that version (I'm running a 2.0.1 board) but I'm betting one of the reasons you haven't upgraded is due to the customized look/feel you have to this one.

Now I'm not sure if a move to 2.0.1 will help speed things up, but its worth a try. There are many new templates available for the new version thanks to the template technology they have now.

With some work I'm sure we can get your customized style into a template and then upgrading to newer version of the software will be a cinch.

Plus, and don't quote me on this, I'm pretty sure I remember reading about a security hole in the version your running... though I'd have to look that up to confirm.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Hi Wayman, Chess Mess, and everyone,

Gene and I are currently working on converting the Magic Cafe to the phpBB 2.0.1 scripts. We have the colors, layout, etc. done, and are working on adding some of the administrative features and functions that are in this version that aren't included in the 2.0.1 version. A more accurate post tracking method is among the last things left to do.

The 2.0.1 version runs much faster, at least on our test board, but we'll have to wait and see how it performs under "live" conditions. Every indication is that it will do quite well.

As far as the security problems with the generic 1.4 version, you're right, Chess Mess, there were many. When Gene rewrote these, he plugged all the reported security holes we could find. Hackers can no longer access and make changes in the database by typing commands in the browser address bar. Other "doors" have been closed to them as well, so there is no great cause for concern with us using this version.

I know the slowness is a pain to deal with, but please bear with us a little longer until the new forums are ready.

Wayman, there is a jump box at the bottom of the list of topics for each forum. I'll see if there's a quick way to insert the code for the jump box to put it on the viewtopic.php page so it also will appear there and solve part of your speed problem. I have to say, though, that if it's not a quick fix, we aren't going to do it for this board. We are concentrating our energies on getting the new one ready, and any further alterations to this forum means that much more time before the new one will be ready.

Mary
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Good luck and if I can be of any service please let me know! I'm sure you've been to phpbbhacks.com to get the mods and such that you want.

You could install the neoboard version which has many of the mods preinstalled, either to use or to see what some of the mods do:
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=513

Best of luck!
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Thanks Mary.B.
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Yes, ChessMess, I've been to phpbbhacks and to phpbb's mod boards. In fact, I was a former moderator for the official 1.4 mod board at phpBB. If you were around when the old boards were in place and checked out the mod boards then, you may recognize my moniker there (swipesy). When they upgraded to 2.0, they stopped supporting 1.4, so I went by the wayside where the phpbb site is concerned. I hear they may start supporting 1.4 again (there are still a lot of people who use it), so perhaps - if time permits - I will return to help them out. In any case, I have been to both the phpBB site's mod area, and to phpbbhacks, but neither place offered the mods needed here, most notably the post tracking mod. I'm writing that one myself because it just doesn't exist. It will be a huge mod to write - the largest I've ever attempted - and I've only just begun. Most of the ideas have been tested, but to put it into the framework of the V2 scripts is what will take the most effort. Stay tuned ...
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Speeding things up a little........or maybe a bit. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL