The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 20th Century Silks for Children (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1602 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
The 20th Century Silks still fools the young and old and can be very entertaining for the young ones. I've searched the Café to see if there is a post on entertaining children with this trick and to my surprise, there was none that I could find.
This trick is a perfect Pack Small play big and very visual. It's been a feature in my performances for many years, I've done it in my Banquets show and still get the hooos and haaas with applause every time.
Tricky Ricky
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ricky! I wrote up my 20th C routine for kids in my book. (page 263). I developed it, about 40 years ago, and, IT NEVER FAILS TO GET LAUGHS, ---AND--- A BIG MITT, AT THE END.

PROPS: JUST THE BASIC SILKS, A "TT", AND AN "ORDINARY" WAND! Well, there's a PRESENTATION, AND, A BIT OF SHOWMANSHIP! >>>>>(KIS-MIF!)<<<<<

Look on YOO TOOB! You'll find a gezillion DEMONSTRATIONS of the trick! (Each one, worse than the one before it!) I've NEVER SEEN A WORSE "DISPLAY"!!!!! T. Francis Fritz (Frank Ducrot, who "invented" the concept) must be doing flip flops in his grave!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I did it just yesterday and it always goes over well for the whole audience.

If you use the correct corners of the silk (I.E. adjacent corners instead of opposite sides) to tie to, you get a square display of the silk face at the finish, rather then the triangle half silk display I often see.

(My silks aren't gimmicked but they are "prearranged").

-Mary Mowder
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2265 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I've always like the Sympathetic Silks. I used to perform them early on in my career but , somehow drifted away from them. I think Kimmo's "Simple Version" is a great adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4fWW8m--8I
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3117 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Getting back on the topic of the 20th Century Silks: The Wiz Kids and I have experimented with a variety of silk trick variations in an attempt to push the 20th Century Silk trick into the new century. Wiz Kid Eleazar (aka Ee-Gee-Fiki) started us all thinking along those lines when he came up with his "Every Century Silks", which can be found in The Wizards' Journal #8. The Spellbinder came up with his "Free Will 21st Century Silks", found in The Wizards' Journal #20. Then I published my e-Book on "Pop-Away Wand Tricks" in The Wizards' Journal #29, and included as one of the tricks you can do with a Pop Away Wand, my "20th Century Silk Split."
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2265 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I'm sorry, jimgerrish, I meant to write that I used to do "20th Century Silks." If I ever decide to go back in that direction, I would use something more like Kimmo's routine. Of course, the classic 20th Century Silks does get a great response from both children and adults.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
About 20 years ago I used to perform them using a Crystal Silk Cylinder. I Still like the idea and I know it goes against the logical idea of everything packing very small for the effect.

Kids like cool props that magicians use in the show. I would display the cylinder "empty" and tie two ungimmicked silks together, lowering them into the cylinder and covering.

Then I introduced the multi colored silk and used a volunteer to make it vanish using a tote bag change bag, comedy wands, etc.

It always and I mean ALWAYS got a gasp when you remove the tube and the audience can plainly see the colored silk tied in between the two solid colored silks inside the tube, as everything seems so fair.

Like I said, just a different method.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Russo
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Russo
Ofter used the 20th centry- with the story of the '3 pigs' with the colorful (pig) dissapearing - when the Wolf blows- and appearing in a vol. hand(he holds the other 2? pigs)- also asking someone to go to Church with us - and appering(sp?) in church (hand clasp) with us.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
457 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Hmmm...Tommy, did you ever try using a Crystal Silk TUBE? I wonder if the silks would separate when blowing into the tube... I can´t seem to find my own tube, so if anyone tried this, please tell.

Håkan
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
457 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Hey, I found the tube! It works with light silks, like the ones from Silkkingmagic.

Håkan
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, TommyJ wrote:
About 20 years ago I used to perform them using a Crystal Silk Cylinder. I Still like the idea and I know it goes against the logical idea of everything packing very small for the effect.

Kids like cool props that magicians use in the show. I would display the cylinder "empty" and tie two ungimmicked silks together, lowering them into the cylinder and covering.

Then I introduced the multi colored silk and used a volunteer to make it vanish using a tote bag change bag, comedy wands, etc.

It always and I mean ALWAYS got a gasp when you remove the tube and the audience can plainly see the colored silk tied in between the two solid colored silks inside the tube, as everything seems so fair.

Like I said, just a different method.



I like your idea of using a crystal silk cylinder, Tommy. You can casually throw each individual silk in the air and then have a volunteer tie the two silks together before putting them in the silk cylinder.

This is helpful because it helped me to think of (and I am sure my idea is probably in some book, lol) using a Lewis Cone for those moments I want to pack flat. I have a double load Lewis Cone which I could use to vanish middle silk and to also switch non-gimmicked pair of silks for the gimmicked pair of silks.

Thanks for sharing, Tommy.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1602 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
One problem I've always had is the wear and tear on the middle (Blendo Silk)I've bought so many 20th sets that I've lost count. Finally, I decided to make my own from rayon material. Rayon is a stronger material than silk and that fixed the problem, I'm still using the rayon set for 3 years now almost in every performance.
Using the Crystal Silk Cylinder with the routine is another showy way to present the trick and I used to use it. At 74 I am cutting back on the amount of props in my carry-on.
Tricky Ricky
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island
394 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Great effect for Boy Scout functions with blue and gold colored silks. I believe Klye Peron who is a member here has a routine for it. I think I bought my set from Bob Sanders which is holding up very well.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, Hawkan wrote:
Hmmm...Tommy, did you ever try using a Crystal Silk TUBE? I wonder if the silks would separate when blowing into the tube... I can´t seem to find my own tube, so if anyone tried this, please tell.

Håkan


I DID use the Crystal Silk Tube a few times but it's been years. For me, I never really liked the routine. But, that's what makes us all individuals! What works for one person may not work for another Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, Jimmy Joza wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2018, TommyJ wrote:
About 20 years ago I used to perform them using a Crystal Silk Cylinder. I Still like the idea and I know it goes against the logical idea of everything packing very small for the effect.

Kids like cool props that magicians use in the show. I would display the cylinder "empty" and tie two ungimmicked silks together, lowering them into the cylinder and covering.

Then I introduced the multi colored silk and used a volunteer to make it vanish using a tote bag change bag, comedy wands, etc.

It always and I mean ALWAYS got a gasp when you remove the tube and the audience can plainly see the colored silk tied in between the two solid colored silks inside the tube, as everything seems so fair.

Like I said, just a different method.



I like your idea of using a crystal silk cylinder, Tommy. You can casually throw each individual silk in the air and then have a volunteer tie the two silks together before putting them in the silk cylinder.

This is helpful because it helped me to think of (and I am sure my idea is probably in some book, lol) using a Lewis Cone for those moments I want to pack flat. I have a double load Lewis Cone which I could use to vanish middle silk and to also switch non-gimmicked pair of silks for the gimmicked pair of silks.

Thanks for sharing, Tommy.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy,
I like your idea of the Lewis cone too. I used one along time ago and still have one. It is such a nice prop!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
457 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Tommy, I meant using the crystal tube for 20th century silks. Tie the silks together, push them into the tube and let a kid hold it, as a finale - blow out the silks, now with the vanished silk tied in between.

Håkan
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1602 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
[quote]On Jun 2, 2018, Hawkan wrote:
Tommy, I meant using the crystal tube for 20th century silks. Tie the silks together, push them into the tube and let a kid hold it, as a finale - blow out the silks, now with the vanished silk tied in between.

Håkan [/quot
I find it a bit difficult to blow 3 silks any larger than 12 inch out of the tube. I feature the Crystal Silk in my birthday parties. Maybe a bit larger tube in diameter would work, I will try it that way and do a post on it later.
Tricky Ricky
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3117 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can find clear plastic mailing tubes in several sizes (diameter) at most stationery stores.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, Hawkan wrote:
Tommy, I meant using the crystal tube for 20th century silks. Tie the silks together, push them into the tube and let a kid hold it, as a finale - blow out the silks, now with the vanished silk tied in between.

Håkan

Ahhhhh! Nice idea!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1749 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
The 20th century silk effect is great using picture silks too for kids. Duane Laflin produced Ellie the Elephant where an elephant vanishes and reappears in the jungle (Two green silks). There are many types of picture silks that could be incorporated with a routine such as that with a rabbit silk, butterfly silk etc
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 20th Century Silks for Children (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL